Olympus C700 Series - Power Circuit Problem

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
December 21, 2004 11:11:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Anyone have an Olympus C700 series camera with a power circuit problem?
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 12:20:58 AM

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> Anyone have an Olympus C700 series camera with a power circuit problem?

And if you ever find anyone, what makes you think that will tell you how to
fix your problem ?.

Why don't you just do what everyone else does and accept it is a fact of
life today and move on.

Go and get something else that takes AA's so you can use all those BATTERIES
that you have tested ......

Sorry, but this has gone on for far too long

And I am not connected with Olympus, just very happy with my current C750UZ,
C5050Z and four year old C3030Z
which I let my youngest son use. And I was happy with the C700 which I
dearly wish that I had sent you.

Peter
December 22, 2004 10:09:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Sorry about that, Peter. I know I must be an irritation to the throw-away,
infinite money consumer crowd, but I'm afraid I have to keep trying to fix
this one myself.

"wire 54" <wire54@nospam_btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone have an Olympus C700 series camera with a power circuit problem?
> >

> And if you ever find anyone, what makes you think that will tell you how
> fix your problem ?.
>
> Why don't you just do what everyone else does and accept it is a fact of
> life today and move on.
>
> Go and get something else that takes AA's so you can use all those
BATTERIES
> that you have tested ......
>
> Sorry, but this has gone on for far too long
>
> And I am not connected with Olympus, just very happy with my current
C750UZ,
> C5050Z and four year old C3030Z
> which I let my youngest son use. And I was happy with the C700 which I
> dearly wish that I had sent you.
>
> Peter
December 22, 2004 1:17:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Fred

>>Anyone have an Olympus C700 series camera with a power circuit problem?

I don't have an Oly C700 but its predecessor, the C2100UZ, was blighted with
power supply problems - often referred to as "Sudden Death Syndrome" in the
newsgroups because of the symptom that one day, for no apparent reason,
you'd go to turn it on and it wouldn't.

My C2100 died in this way earlier this year. I sent it of to Olympus UK and
they fixed it - not particularly quickly. It took them about a month plus
and the cost, from memory, was around 130 UK Pounds.

I have heard say that the fix is to replace the power supply with a more
modern board which does not have the original design fault. However, if
more recent cameras like the C700 are experiencing the same problem it does
introduce doubts.

Another rumour I heard was that the problem might be triggered by allowing
rechargables to run too low in the camera. The following "science bit" is
quoting, probably inaccurately, from memory. I have no real knowledge of
the physics involved so if anyone wants to correct me, fine, but please
don't shoot me down in flames. I'm just trying to be helpful. I heard that
when the battery runs low, the voltage(?) can increase in an effort to
maintain the power output and this additional voltage can fry the power
supply. So the suggestion is always replace rechargables before they are
completely dead.

Having said that, I don't follow this advice and invariably wait until the
camera says "no juice" before swapping batteries. On the other hand I have
suffered one dead power supply so draw your own conclusions.

My recommendation is return the camera to your local Olympus repair centre
and, if you have the discipline, make a note to change batteries more
frequently in future.

Regards
Keith
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 5:35:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

"wire 54" <wire54@nospam_btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone have an Olympus C700 series camera with a power circuit problem?
>>

> And if you ever find anyone, what makes you think that will tell you how
> fix your problem ?.
>
> Why don't you just do what everyone else does and accept it is a fact of
> life today and move on.
>
> Go and get something else that takes AA's so you can use all those
> BATTERIES
> that you have tested ......
>
> Sorry, but this has gone on for far too long

So why spend time penning such a futile reply?
Why not just ignore?

No need for you to reply - rhetoric questions

> And I am not connected with Olympus, just very happy with my current
> C750UZ,
> C5050Z and four year old C3030Z
> which I let my youngest son use. And I was happy with the C700 which I
> dearly wish that I had sent you.
>
> Peter

Cheers,
John
December 22, 2004 6:34:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> Anyone have an Olympus C700 series camera with a power circuit problem?

I have C700 series camera and it has worked perfectly from day one.

We are all getting a little tired of you and your problem. Please stop
spamming the newsgroups.

Malcolm
December 23, 2004 9:28:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Thanks, Keith! Appreciate your info. It's sure worth a try.

"Keith Sheppard" <keith.sheppard@tesco.net> wrote in message
> Fred
>
> >>Anyone have an Olympus C700 series camera with a power circuit problem?
>
> I don't have an Oly C700 but its predecessor, the C2100UZ, was blighted
with
> power supply problems - often referred to as "Sudden Death Syndrome" in
the
> newsgroups because of the symptom that one day, for no apparent reason,
> you'd go to turn it on and it wouldn't.
>
> My C2100 died in this way earlier this year. I sent it of to Olympus UK
and
> they fixed it - not particularly quickly. It took them about a month plus
> and the cost, from memory, was around 130 UK Pounds.
>
> I have heard say that the fix is to replace the power supply with a more
> modern board which does not have the original design fault. However, if
> more recent cameras like the C700 are experiencing the same problem it
does
> introduce doubts.
>
> Another rumour I heard was that the problem might be triggered by allowing
> rechargables to run too low in the camera. The following "science bit" is
> quoting, probably inaccurately, from memory. I have no real knowledge of
> the physics involved so if anyone wants to correct me, fine, but please
> don't shoot me down in flames. I'm just trying to be helpful. I heard
that
> when the battery runs low, the voltage(?) can increase in an effort to
> maintain the power output and this additional voltage can fry the power
> supply. So the suggestion is always replace rechargables before they are
> completely dead.
>
> Having said that, I don't follow this advice and invariably wait until the
> camera says "no juice" before swapping batteries. On the other hand I
have
> suffered one dead power supply so draw your own conclusions.
>
> My recommendation is return the camera to your local Olympus repair centre
> and, if you have the discipline, make a note to change batteries more
> frequently in future.
>
> Regards
> Keith

December 23, 2004 9:28:05 AM

"Malcolm" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone have an Olympus C700 series camera with a power circuit problem?
>
> I have C700 series camera and it has worked perfectly from day one.

That's good to hear! Hopefully, with all the helpful folks posting here,
I'll get mine fixed and it'll last a couple more years. Have a nice
Christmas, Malcolm.

Fred
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 9:02:31 PM

> "Malcolm" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > > Anyone have an Olympus C700 series camera with a power circuit
problem?

> > I have C700 series camera and it has worked perfectly from day one.
>
> That's good to hear! Hopefully, with all the helpful folks posting here,
> I'll get mine fixed and it'll last a couple more years. Have a nice
> Christmas, Malcolm.
>
> Fred
>

> Hi Fred, I've been lurkng this series of posts for a month now, LOL, the
humor was worth the trip! Seriously, now, archive all these posts, print
them and take them to your Oly repair facility. show them how a poorly
performing/early failing product can generate a great deal of hubris. Maybe
they'll cut you some slack on a pro repair. If you were my customer, I'd fix
the damn camera at no charge, and reap the benefit of a positive post!

Get those 8 mm camcorders out of the deep freeze and record some holiday
footage. You'll thank yourself a few years from now.
Merry CHRISTmas to all of you great people on this NG, and may 2005 be good
for you.
Regards,
Tom
December 23, 2004 9:07:41 PM

"t.hoehler" <t.hoehler@insightbb.com> wrote in message

> > Hi Fred, I've been lurkng this series of posts for a month now, LOL, the
> humor was worth the trip! Seriously, now, archive all these posts, print
> them and take them to your Oly repair facility. show them how a poorly
> performing/early failing product can generate a great deal of hubris.
Maybe
> they'll cut you some slack on a pro repair. If you were my customer, I'd
fix
> the damn camera at no charge, and reap the benefit of a positive post!
>
> Get those 8 mm camcorders out of the deep freeze and record some holiday
> footage. You'll thank yourself a few years from now.
> Merry CHRISTmas to all of you great people on this NG, and may 2005 be
good
> for you.
> Regards,
> Tom

Thanks, Tom!! I've enjoyed reading the posts also. And especially thanks
to all the nice folks who have offered sincere help and advice. Keep
smiling.

A Christmas Poem

Some folks say the water glass is half full,
Others say the water glass is half empty.
Malcolm!!?? "Have you bin drinking my water!"

Fred
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 2:01:00 AM

> "t.hoehler" <t.hoehler@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > Hi Fred, I've been lurkng this series of posts for a month now, LOL,
>> > the
>> humor was worth the trip! Seriously, now, archive all these posts, print
>> them and take them to your Oly repair facility. show them how a poorly
>> performing/early failing product can generate a great deal of hubris.
> Maybe
>> they'll cut you some slack on a pro repair. If you were my customer, I'd
> fix
>> the damn camera at no charge, and reap the benefit of a positive post!
>>
>> Get those 8 mm camcorders out of the deep freeze and record some holiday
>> footage. You'll thank yourself a few years from now.
>> Merry CHRISTmas to all of you great people on this NG, and may 2005 be
> good
>> for you.
>> Regards,
>> Tom
>
> Thanks, Tom!! I've enjoyed reading the posts also. And especially thanks
> to all the nice folks who have offered sincere help and advice. Keep
> smiling.
>
> A Christmas Poem
>
> Some folks say the water glass is half full,
> Others say the water glass is half empty.
> Malcolm!!?? "Have you bin drinking my water!"
>
> Fred

Better check the vodka cabinet.......
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 2:01:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Wasn't that one of the Newfoundland terrorists caught recently in the
news?... "Bin Drinking"

!