VHS capture - Newbie

Hi, I`m a newbie to Video work who has just aquired a dirt cheap ($50)
and suprisingly good PAL SVHS camcorder from Ebay. I now have 45 mins
of tape I want to capture to edit / add titles / add commentry. Being
broke and having just bought such a cheap camera, I want a cheap
solution that wont result in too much degradation of quality. The
finished product will probably be burnt to CD-ROM. My computer is a
poor 700Mhz box with 256mb ram, I have around 30Gb HD space on a
seperate standard speed drive but could aquire more.
-Is video capture/editing (SVHS quality) a viable option on such a
spec box?
-Compresion would be a must with a small HD but the PC spec means this
must be hardware based. Are the cheap MPEG2 cards such as the Winfast
VC100 and cheap Hauppauge cards any good for such low-end work? Any
other sugestions?
-Does MPEG have any place for editing what with only having a key
frame every 15 frames or so?

Cheers, Ed.

On 21 Jun 2004 04:01:22 -0700, ed@edweb.org.uk (Ed Whittaker) wrote:

>-Does MPEG have any place for editing what with only having a key
>frame every 15 frames or so?

If you use mpeg-vcr (http://www.womble.com), you can edit at any
frame, and only the frames from the broken GOP are re-encoded. Tmpgenc
can edit mpeg-2 only at keyframes.