DVD Players that can play a DVD-ROM with MPEG files?

Hi,

I was just wondering -- same way as many CD/DVD players are able
to play a regular CD-ROM with MP3 files in it (even if the files
are organized in directory hierarchy), I wonder if there are any
commercial DVD players that would understand a DVD-ROM (i.e., a
data DVD) that contains MPEG or AVI files and play them as if it
were a regular DVD? (sounds like a good idea to me).

The thing is, why putting up with DVD-authoring, or VCD/SVCD,
choosing the right type of media, etc.? If the DVD understood
a normal filesystem with MPEG files, then one could use a CD or
a DVD, encode at whatever custom quality settings, and would
have full flexibility (sure, a computer can do that, but it's
less convenient, given that the PC is not necessarily near the
home theater system; and you normally want a DVD player near
the TV anyway)

Carlos

"Carlos Moreno" <moreno_at_mochima_dot_com@xx.xxx> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering -- same way as many CD/DVD players are able
> to play a regular CD-ROM with MP3 files in it (even if the files
> are organized in directory hierarchy), I wonder if there are any
> commercial DVD players that would understand a DVD-ROM (i.e., a
> data DVD) that contains MPEG or AVI files and play them as if it
> were a regular DVD? (sounds like a good idea to me).
>
> The thing is, why putting up with DVD-authoring, or VCD/SVCD,
> choosing the right type of media, etc.? If the DVD understood
> a normal filesystem with MPEG files, then one could use a CD or
> a DVD, encode at whatever custom quality settings, and would
> have full flexibility (sure, a computer can do that, but it's
> less convenient, given that the PC is not necessarily near the
> home theater system; and you normally want a DVD player near
> the TV anyway)
>
> Carlos
> --

Many of the cheaper settop players can do that, my <$50
Norcent DP-300 can for example. Some of the new ones
can play MPEG4 files off a DVD or CD. Try a Google.

Luck;
Ken

ToMo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2003

Carlos Moreno wrote:
> The thing is, why putting up with DVD-authoring, or VCD/SVCD,
> choosing the right type of media, etc.? If the DVD understood
> a normal filesystem with MPEG files, then one could use a CD or
> a DVD, encode at whatever custom quality settings, and would
> have full flexibility (sure, a computer can do that, but it's
> less convenient, given that the PC is not necessarily near the
> home theater system; and you normally want a DVD player near
> the TV anyway)

Because, if you only put a mpeg2 file on DVD:

a) you haven't got chapters
b) you cannot select subtitle on/off/language
c) you cannot select type of audio stream
d) no multi-angle view
e) hard to get to the extra content
Pozdrav, ToMo

There are a few players that support direct .mpg playing. There are
also players (Kiss, Woxter, Philips...) supporting mpeg-4 (DivX,
Xvid...) AVIs. The latter shall also play .mpg files.

It's good to be free of standards, specially in regards of resolution.
But that doesn't mean you shall be able to play any bitrate. There
must be a max bitrate that a given player can successfully play.

Menus, etc. are more a fashion thing than a real necessity.

Philips DVP642 will do this just fine. $69 at amazon.com and walmart.
excellent choice.

> a) you haven't got chapters
> b) you cannot select subtitle on/off/language
> c) you cannot select type of audio stream
> d) no multi-angle view
> e) hard to get to the extra content

a) so what, you don't have chapters with MP3's
b) unlikely that you will have them
c) probably only have one anyway
d) it's only a home grown mpeg after all
e) not at all true see a) above