Taking forever to write to hard drive

I spent the entire day making my first movie. I am using Windows XP, have
the right firewire, etc. - on my movie, I transferred from my digital
camcorder and also have inserted lots of digital pictures - I also have some
music. According to Movie Maker timeline, the movie is about 2 hours long.
Movie Maker saves my project just great, but when I go to finalize to save to
my hard drive - well, right now it says it will take over 72,000 minutes to
save... something isn't right. My PC has 512 RAM and is a pentium 4 - could
it be RAM? I wanted to save to my hard drive (100 gig) and then burn to DVD
since the burn to DVD is not an option for me in Movie Maker. I am
frustrated!!! Anyone have any advice on how to save this movie? I would
greatly appreciate it.
4 answers Last reply
More about taking forever write hard drive

    I'd start by splitting it into smaller portions and see if it saves those.
    Have you tried saving it, or given up when you've seen such a large number?

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Marianne" <Marianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I spent the entire day making my first movie. I am using Windows XP, have
    > the right firewire, etc. - on my movie, I transferred from my digital
    > camcorder and also have inserted lots of digital pictures - I also have
    > some
    > music. According to Movie Maker timeline, the movie is about 2 hours
    > long.
    > Movie Maker saves my project just great, but when I go to finalize to save
    > my hard drive - well, right now it says it will take over 72,000 minutes
    > save... something isn't right. My PC has 512 RAM and is a pentium 4 -
    > could
    > it be RAM? I wanted to save to my hard drive (100 gig) and then burn to
    > DVD
    > since the burn to DVD is not an option for me in Movie Maker. I am
    > frustrated!!! Anyone have any advice on how to save this movie? I would
    > greatly appreciate it.

    Thanks Graham --
    Well, I finally got it... I took all titles and credits off - made sure
    that all my music was in the collections, reimported that... It did take
    about 3 hours to create the .avi file -- Then, I realized that an AVI would
    not play on my tv's DVD... Back to the drawing board. I found this neat
    little converter program for $29 that converted my .avi -- Last night, we
    watched my DVD on the tv!!

    I have a question though (if you would be so kind). I would like to create
    frames, so that you could jump from frame to frame while watching the DVD on
    tv. Last night, when we were watching - I accidentially hit the stop button
    - and we could not get back to where we needed to be without starting to
    watch at the begininng - it would not even fast forward. Is there a trick to
    that? I am using Windows Movie Maker and could not find any information on
    making Frames.

    Thanks again for your help.

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > I'd start by splitting it into smaller portions and see if it saves those.
    > Have you tried saving it, or given up when you've seen such a large number?
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "Marianne" <Marianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I spent the entire day making my first movie. I am using Windows XP, have
    > > the right firewire, etc. - on my movie, I transferred from my digital
    > > camcorder and also have inserted lots of digital pictures - I also have
    > > some
    > > music. According to Movie Maker timeline, the movie is about 2 hours
    > > long.
    > > Movie Maker saves my project just great, but when I go to finalize to save
    > > my hard drive - well, right now it says it will take over 72,000 minutes
    > > save... something isn't right. My PC has 512 RAM and is a pentium 4 -
    > > could
    > > it be RAM? I wanted to save to my hard drive (100 gig) and then burn to
    > > DVD
    > > since the burn to DVD is not an option for me in Movie Maker. I am
    > > frustrated!!! Anyone have any advice on how to save this movie? I would
    > > greatly appreciate it.

    Movie Maker edits video and outputs to dv-avi.
    From here you need to use a dvd authoring programme to make the dvd. Good
    ones will allow you to make chapters (frames) which will mean you can jump
    forward, or use the ff/rew buttons.
    You will need to buy again I'm afraid, but check out the likes of Ulead
    movie factory or videostudio9 where you can download a trial first.

    --

    > Thanks Graham --
    > Well, I finally got it... I took all titles and credits off - made sure
    > that all my music was in the collections, reimported that... It did take
    > about 3 hours to create the .avi file -- Then, I realized that an AVI
    > would
    > not play on my tv's DVD... Back to the drawing board. I found this neat
    > little converter program for $29 that converted my .avi -- Last night, we
    > watched my DVD on the tv!!
    >
    > I have a question though (if you would be so kind). I would like to
    > create
    > frames, so that you could jump from frame to frame while watching the DVD
    > on
    > tv. Last night, when we were watching - I accidentially hit the stop
    > button
    > - and we could not get back to where we needed to be without starting to
    > watch at the begininng - it would not even fast forward. Is there a trick
    > that? I am using Windows Movie Maker and could not find any information
    > on
    > making Frames.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help.
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    >> I'd start by splitting it into smaller portions and see if it saves
    >> those.
    >> Have you tried saving it, or given up when you've seen such a large
    >> number?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Graham Hughes
    >> MVP Digital Media
    >> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    >> www.dvds2treasure.com
    >> www.simplydv.com
    >>

    >> "Marianne" <Marianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I spent the entire day making my first movie. I am using Windows XP,
    >> >have
    >> > the right firewire, etc. - on my movie, I transferred from my digital
    >> > camcorder and also have inserted lots of digital pictures - I also have
    >> > some
    >> > music. According to Movie Maker timeline, the movie is about 2 hours
    >> > long.
    >> > Movie Maker saves my project just great, but when I go to finalize to
    >> > save
    >> > my hard drive - well, right now it says it will take over 72,000
    >> > minutes
    >> > save... something isn't right. My PC has 512 RAM and is a pentium 4 -
    >> > could
    >> > it be RAM? I wanted to save to my hard drive (100 gig) and then burn
    >> > DVD
    >> > since the burn to DVD is not an option for me in Movie Maker. I am
    >> > frustrated!!! Anyone have any advice on how to save this movie? I
    >> > would
    >> > greatly appreciate it.

    Thank you so much for helping me!

    I downloaded the Video Studio from uLead and starting chopping up my .avi
    file into clips (taking a long time - probably should have started all over
    again, getting directly from camera). But, this is giving me the opportunity
    of learning how to edit the video (its pretty easy with uLead). Tonight I
    will work on getting my still photos and music - I really need to buy more
    RAM, I thought the PC I was using had 512 and come to find out its only 256 -
    no wonder I'm going nuts!!!

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > Movie Maker edits video and outputs to dv-avi.
    > From here you need to use a dvd authoring programme to make the dvd. Good
    > ones will allow you to make chapters (frames) which will mean you can jump
    > forward, or use the ff/rew buttons.
    > You will need to buy again I'm afraid, but check out the likes of Ulead
    > movie factory or videostudio9 where you can download a trial first.
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "Marianne" <Marianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Graham --
    > > Well, I finally got it... I took all titles and credits off - made sure
    > > that all my music was in the collections, reimported that... It did take
    > > about 3 hours to create the .avi file -- Then, I realized that an AVI
    > > would
    > > not play on my tv's DVD... Back to the drawing board. I found this neat
    > > little converter program for $29 that converted my .avi -- Last night, we
    > > watched my DVD on the tv!!
    > >
    > > I have a question though (if you would be so kind). I would like to
    > > create
    > > frames, so that you could jump from frame to frame while watching the DVD
    > > on
    > > tv. Last night, when we were watching - I accidentially hit the stop
    > > button
    > > - and we could not get back to where we needed to be without starting to
    > > watch at the begininng - it would not even fast forward. Is there a trick
    > > that? I am using Windows Movie Maker and could not find any information
    > > on
    > > making Frames.
    > >
    > > Thanks again for your help.
    > >
    > > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'd start by splitting it into smaller portions and see if it saves
    > >> those.
    > >> Have you tried saving it, or given up when you've seen such a large
    > >> number?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Graham Hughes
    > >> MVP Digital Media
    > >> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > >> www.dvds2treasure.com
    > >> www.simplydv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Marianne" <Marianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Video Movies Hard Drives Movie Maker Windows XP