Looking for most generic solution

Hi,

I'm surprised that I need to post this question on a newsgroup. I have an OK
digital camcorder (TRV-21) and I want to do 2 things:

1. Capture video to the harddrive. I want the quality be high enough that I
will feel comfortable overwriting the tape.
2. Burn a DVD.

I don't want to do any special editing, special effects, etc. Is there a de
factor standard way of doing this? Can you please point me a source that
will describe to me how much free disk space to have, what application to
use for capturing, for making DVD's. Is my laptop's harddrive speed high
enough or does it not matter? ETC

(So far I've only figured out two things: USB is a no-no, and Windows Movie
Maker is a no-no.)

Thanks,

Aaron Fude

Have you checked out VirtualDub? http://www.virtualdub.org/
Might do what you want

--

Dave Jones
Independent Video Productions

"Aaron Fude" <aaronfude@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm surprised that I need to post this question on a newsgroup. I have an
OK
> digital camcorder (TRV-21) and I want to do 2 things:
>
> 1. Capture video to the harddrive. I want the quality be high enough that
> will feel comfortable overwriting the tape.
> 2. Burn a DVD.
>
> I don't want to do any special editing, special effects, etc. Is there a
de
> factor standard way of doing this? Can you please point me a source that
> will describe to me how much free disk space to have, what application to
> use for capturing, for making DVD's. Is my laptop's harddrive speed high
> enough or does it not matter? ETC
>
> (So far I've only figured out two things: USB is a no-no, and Windows
Movie
> Maker is a no-no.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Aaron Fude