Trying to put audio in movie maker

I have a sony handycam that puts the video on dvd's . . . and in order to use
movie maker i have already downloaded a converter to put my MPEG video in AVI
and/or WMV formats.

the problem is that when i convert the MPEG files to AVI i lose all the
audio. Is there a specific format that i need to convert the MPEG to in
order to save the audio? if not, is there another way around this problem?

Thanks for any help!!!
--
Smiles,
Ann

    Check out www.papajohn.org and see the importing source files, video, discs
    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a sony handycam that puts the video on dvd's . . . and in order to
    >use
    > movie maker i have already downloaded a converter to put my MPEG video in
    > AVI
    > and/or WMV formats.
    >
    > the problem is that when i convert the MPEG files to AVI i lose all the
    > audio. Is there a specific format that i need to convert the MPEG to in
    > order to save the audio? if not, is there another way around this
    > problem?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!!!
    > --
    > Smiles,
    > Ann

    Don't know why you want to use Movie Maker?

    If you're looking to edit your movies then make a DVD, Movie Maker is a
    waste of time since it isn't capable of making DVD's.

    You'd be better off using a program that will make DVD's, in which case you
    wouldn't have to convert your original MPEG files, just edit them and burn.

    NOTEKY

    "Ann" wrote:

    > I have a sony handycam that puts the video on dvd's . . . and in order to use
    > movie maker i have already downloaded a converter to put my MPEG video in AVI
    > and/or WMV formats.
    >
    > the problem is that when i convert the MPEG files to AVI i lose all the
    > audio. Is there a specific format that i need to convert the MPEG to in
    > order to save the audio? if not, is there another way around this problem?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!!!
    > --
    > Smiles,
    > Ann