video playback

i have read all of the faq's and trouble shooting guides as to why windows
media player 10 cannot play .avi files on my computer. i have no idea what
kind of video card i have so i dont know if i can get the drivers for it.
the playback is green and choppy but i can hear the audio, it does not do
this with all movie files i beleive it is only .avi's. i have directx 9.0c,
im thinking that is what messed it up because it has not always done this,
but i cant get an older version of it. ive tried slowing the video
acceleration before, but now the bar is locked and i cant change it. it is
getting really frustrating because now i can barely watch any video files on
my computer, PLEASE HELP, thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about video playback

    Hello;
    Use Google. Search on the Internet and download a free piece of software
    called"Everest Home Edition". Run this software and it will tell you the
    type of video card you have in your machine, along with a host of other
    useful stuff. Hope this helps.

    Melvin

    "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have read all of the faq's and trouble shooting guides as to why windows
    > media player 10 cannot play .avi files on my computer. i have no idea
    > what
    > kind of video card i have so i dont know if i can get the drivers for it.
    > the playback is green and choppy but i can hear the audio, it does not do
    > this with all movie files i beleive it is only .avi's. i have directx
    > 9.0c,
    > im thinking that is what messed it up because it has not always done this,
    > but i cant get an older version of it. ive tried slowing the video
    > acceleration before, but now the bar is locked and i cant change it. it
    > is
    > getting really frustrating because now i can barely watch any video files
    > on
    > my computer, PLEASE HELP, thanks

    You dont need 3rd party software to get youre hardware information,simply
    R.click my computer,properties,device mgr,expand the tree for display
    adapters,
    R.click,properties.WMP can play AVI files,however as with games,it puts youre
    video hardware to the max.Find the display adapter,then go to the mfg web
    site and get the drivers/software.

    "Sean" wrote:

    > i have read all of the faq's and trouble shooting guides as to why windows
    > media player 10 cannot play .avi files on my computer. i have no idea what
    > kind of video card i have so i dont know if i can get the drivers for it.
    > the playback is green and choppy but i can hear the audio, it does not do
    > this with all movie files i beleive it is only .avi's. i have directx 9.0c,
    > im thinking that is what messed it up because it has not always done this,
    > but i cant get an older version of it. ive tried slowing the video
    > acceleration before, but now the bar is locked and i cant change it. it is
    > getting really frustrating because now i can barely watch any video files on
    > my computer, PLEASE HELP, thanks

Video Windows XP