still image

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

Can somebody advise what is the best image format to use in a movie to show
text as clear as possible when viewed on the resulting dvd movie.
6 answers Last reply
More about still image

    In news:P White <shirley.wtaylorins@btconnect.com> typed:
    > Can somebody advise what is the best image format to use in a movie
    > to show text as clear as possible when viewed on the resulting dvd
    > movie.

    For NTSC, the standard 720X534 (for .9 pixel aspect ratio) should be
    fine. More important than format is the choice of fonts and color. Try
    to stay away from seriff font when using small point, and choose your
    color carefully; for instance, red tend to bleed a lot, especially on
    older TV set, so that's a color I avoid for text or text background.
    Making text visible on a moving background can pose a challenge due to
    the change of colors; If you use a good vector program you could stroke
    the letters in a contrasty color, for exemple white letters would be
    stroked with black, so if the background turns white the black stroke
    would help make the white letters "cut trough" while a on a black
    background you wouldn't see the stroke but the white letters would be
    clear. A drop shadow could also serve the same purpose.

    --
    www.odysea.ca

    In news:Deco_time <coral_city2000@NOSPAMyahoo.ca> typed:
    > In news:P White <shirley.wtaylorins@btconnect.com> typed:
    >> Can somebody advise what is the best image format to use in a movie
    >> to show text as clear as possible when viewed on the resulting dvd
    >> movie.

    Oh, and if you meant file format, my personal favorite is the Targa
    followed by Psd, Tiff, Png, Bmp. I never use Jpg or Gif as I think they
    are horrible format for video work.

    --
    www.odysea.ca
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

    On a sunny day (Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:55:33 +0000 (UTC)) it happened "P White"
    <shirley.wtaylorins@btconnect.com> wrote in
    <cb9a85$aoi$1@titan.btinternet.com>:

    >Can somebody advise what is the best image format to use in a movie to show
    >text as clear as possible when viewed on the resulting dvd movie.
    In a DVD the text as in subtitles is an overlayed bitmap.
    If you want to do it right your soft should support anti-aliasing.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

    In message <cb9a85$aoi$1@titan.btinternet.com>, P White
    <shirley.wtaylorins@btconnect.com> writes
    >Can somebody advise what is the best image format to use in a movie to show
    >text as clear as possible when viewed on the resulting dvd movie.

    Since most video editors allow you to import bmp, .dib, .emf, .gif,
    ..jfif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif, .tiff, and .wmf, then obviously
    the best for your purpose would be .bmp, since it is non-lossy. png is
    perhaps the next best.

    But you need to recall that if you're starting off with a lossy format
    (like jpg) then you'll gain nothing by converting to jpg.

    Depending on the context in which you're asking the question, the
    thought occurs to me that you might perhaps use the inbuilt titling that
    is incorporated in video editors.
    --
    Tony Morgan
    http://www.rhylonline.com

    In message <ayVY$gCo8H2AFw6t@aoyh98.dsl.pipex.com>, Tony Morgan
    <tonymorgan@xtreme.pipex.net> writes

    Snipped....

    >But you need to recall that if you're starting off with a lossy format
    >(like jpg) then you'll gain nothing by converting to jpg.

    Sorry, this should have read" ....... by converting to .bmp".
    --
    Tony Morgan
    http://www.rhylonline.com

    "Tony Morgan" <tonymorgan@xtreme.pipex.net> wrote in message
    > In message <cb9a85$aoi$1@titan.btinternet.com>, P White
    > <shirley.wtaylorins@btconnect.com> writes
    > >Can somebody advise what is the best image format to use in a movie to
    show
    > >text as clear as possible when viewed on the resulting dvd movie.
    >
    > Since most video editors allow you to import bmp, .dib, .emf, .gif,
    > .jfif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif, .tiff, and .wmf, then obviously
    > the best for your purpose would be .bmp, since it is non-lossy. png is
    > perhaps the next best.
    >
    > But you need to recall that if you're starting off with a lossy format
    > (like jpg) then you'll gain nothing by converting to jpg.
    >
    > Depending on the context in which you're asking the question, the
    > thought occurs to me that you might perhaps use the inbuilt titling that
    > is incorporated in video editors.
    > --
    > Tony Morgan
    > http://www.rhylonline.com

    Thanks, decided to use .bmp in the end with anti-aliasing. Not too bad on
    the white text on black background, but the red on white looks a bit
    pixelated once converted...not as good as on some commercial dvds (ie, at
    the start of a movie, when its says MIRAMAX or something).

Tuner Cards Movies Desktops Video Graphics