Panasonic DV203 Camcorder Not Recognized by OS

I am trying to connect my Panasonic DV203 camcorder to my PC in order to
create DVDs of the content I have video taped. My system refuses to
recognize the camcorder. I get no ping acknowleging a new hardware device as
been attached.

I running Win XP SP2 Home Edition
Motherboard is Intel 865GBF
CPU is Pentium IV 3.0 GHz
512 Meg of RAM

I am trying to connect via a Ultra IEEE 1394 Firewire adapter (ULT-31342).

Device manager shows no conflicts.

I've tried the MS MovieMaker, an evaluation copy of ULead's Video Studio
9.0, and an evaluation copy of Video Edit Magic 4.0. None of them see the
camcorder. I get various error messages from each stating "A video capture
device was not detected" or "No capture device found" or "Either no video
capture driver is installed in this system or no device is connected".
8 answers Last reply
More about panasonic dv203 camcorder recognized

    ks_crnhskr,
    Performance of 1394 devices may decrease after you install Windows XP
    Service Pack 2
    'Article ID : 885222 ' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222)
    More reading;
    'Dv 1394 Capture Not Working After Xp Sp2 - Fixed '
    (http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=42557)
    This is an ongoing battle with folks saying go to the cameras web page
    & download the drivers, when the OS is supposed to have the drivers
    already.
    Device Manager will show no conflicts with the 1394 device & drivers;
    that doesn't mean it will work as you well know.
    You can look at Mr. Graham Hughes website;
    'Problem Pages '
    (http://www.myvideoproblems.com/ProblemPages/ProblemPages.htm)
    He has a lot of insight & help, you can email him your specifics for
    your camera. Myself, I don't have enough patience with SP2 firewire
    problems.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Is the camcorder turned on, in VCR mode and connected to an external power
    source (not its internal battery)?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "ks_crnhskr" <kscrnhskr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to connect my Panasonic DV203 camcorder to my PC in order to
    > create DVDs of the content I have video taped. My system refuses to
    > recognize the camcorder. I get no ping acknowleging a new hardware device
    > as
    > been attached.
    >
    > I running Win XP SP2 Home Edition
    > Motherboard is Intel 865GBF
    > CPU is Pentium IV 3.0 GHz
    > 512 Meg of RAM
    >
    > I am trying to connect via a Ultra IEEE 1394 Firewire adapter (ULT-31342).
    >
    > Device manager shows no conflicts.
    >
    > I've tried the MS MovieMaker, an evaluation copy of ULead's Video Studio
    > 9.0, and an evaluation copy of Video Edit Magic 4.0. None of them see the
    > camcorder. I get various error messages from each stating "A video
    > capture
    > device was not detected" or "No capture device found" or "Either no video
    > capture driver is installed in this system or no device is connected".

    Carl & Treeman
    Thanks for the tips. Yes, camcorder is on, in VCR mode, and hooked up to
    the external power supply. I'm taking the camcorder, the firewire cable, and
    the PCI card to a friend who is still running SP1. We're going to see what
    happens in that configuration. I'll keep you all posted. My own belief is
    it is the SP2 problem with firewire that I've seen everyone talking about.

    thanks,
    -ks_crnhskr

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Is the camcorder turned on, in VCR mode and connected to an external power
    > source (not its internal battery)?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "ks_crnhskr" <kscrnhskr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to connect my Panasonic DV203 camcorder to my PC in order to
    > > create DVDs of the content I have video taped. My system refuses to
    > > recognize the camcorder. I get no ping acknowleging a new hardware device
    > > as
    > > been attached.
    > >
    > > I running Win XP SP2 Home Edition
    > > Motherboard is Intel 865GBF
    > > CPU is Pentium IV 3.0 GHz
    > > 512 Meg of RAM
    > >
    > > I am trying to connect via a Ultra IEEE 1394 Firewire adapter (ULT-31342).
    > >
    > > Device manager shows no conflicts.
    > >
    > > I've tried the MS MovieMaker, an evaluation copy of ULead's Video Studio
    > > 9.0, and an evaluation copy of Video Edit Magic 4.0. None of them see the
    > > camcorder. I get various error messages from each stating "A video
    > > capture
    > > device was not detected" or "No capture device found" or "Either no video
    > > capture driver is installed in this system or no device is connected".

    Let us know the outcome!
    --

    > Carl & Treeman
    > Thanks for the tips. Yes, camcorder is on, in VCR mode, and hooked up to
    > the external power supply. I'm taking the camcorder, the firewire cable,
    > and
    > the PCI card to a friend who is still running SP1. We're going to see
    > what
    > happens in that configuration. I'll keep you all posted. My own belief
    > is
    > it is the SP2 problem with firewire that I've seen everyone talking about.
    >
    > thanks,
    > -ks_crnhskr
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Is the camcorder turned on, in VCR mode and connected to an external
    >> power
    >> source (not its internal battery)?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "ks_crnhskr" <kscrnhskr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am trying to connect my Panasonic DV203 camcorder to my PC in order to
    >> > create DVDs of the content I have video taped. My system refuses to
    >> > recognize the camcorder. I get no ping acknowleging a new hardware
    >> > device
    >> > as
    >> > been attached.
    >> >
    >> > I running Win XP SP2 Home Edition
    >> > Motherboard is Intel 865GBF
    >> > CPU is Pentium IV 3.0 GHz
    >> > 512 Meg of RAM
    >> >
    >> > I am trying to connect via a Ultra IEEE 1394 Firewire adapter
    >> > (ULT-31342).
    >> >
    >> > Device manager shows no conflicts.
    >> >
    >> > I've tried the MS MovieMaker, an evaluation copy of ULead's Video
    >> > Studio
    >> > 9.0, and an evaluation copy of Video Edit Magic 4.0. None of them see
    >> > the
    >> > camcorder. I get various error messages from each stating "A video
    >> > capture
    >> > device was not detected" or "No capture device found" or "Either no
    >> > video
    >> > capture driver is installed in this system or no device is connected".

    Tried camera and cable on a system running Windows 2000. Worked fine.

    The PCI card is still a variable. We did not have a chance to test it.
    But, since my system recognizes the card I think a problem with the card is
    remote.

    I will try Treeman's suggestions next.

    The saga continues,
    ks_crnhskr

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Let us know the outcome!
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "ks_crnhskr" <kscrnhskr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Carl & Treeman
    > > Thanks for the tips. Yes, camcorder is on, in VCR mode, and hooked up to
    > > the external power supply. I'm taking the camcorder, the firewire cable,
    > > and
    > > the PCI card to a friend who is still running SP1. We're going to see
    > > what
    > > happens in that configuration. I'll keep you all posted. My own belief
    > > is
    > > it is the SP2 problem with firewire that I've seen everyone talking about.
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > -ks_crnhskr
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is the camcorder turned on, in VCR mode and connected to an external
    > >> power
    > >> source (not its internal battery)?
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Printing & Imaging
    > >>

    > >> "ks_crnhskr" <kscrnhskr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Ahhhhh, very infuriating. Now it all works and I don't know why.
    Here is what I did...

    I re-installed the Firewire PCI card. I had never uninstalled the drivers
    when I took the card out, so when I put it back they all appeared in the
    device manager list with no balloons indicating new hardware had been
    installed.

    Then with the device manager open I selected "show hidden devices". I know,
    I know, I committed the cardinal sin and didn't write down what I was
    seeing... There was one driver in the "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" list that
    had a yellow exclaimation point. It said something like "Intel SMbus 2.0".
    I uninstalled it and rebooted figuring XP would reinstall the driver. It did
    not.

    So then I plugged the firewire cable into the camcorder and powered up in
    the VCR mode. Lo and behold XP recognized the camcorder and Movie Maker
    captured the video just fine.

    So now I don't know if that Non-Plug and Play driver was the culprit or not.
    I didn't change anything else.

    Thanks Cari and Treeman for your suggestions. If things start acting up
    again I at least now have a few other avenues to pursue.

    ks_crnhskr

    "ks_crnhskr" wrote:

    > Tried camera and cable on a system running Windows 2000. Worked fine.
    >
    > The PCI card is still a variable. We did not have a chance to test it.
    > But, since my system recognizes the card I think a problem with the card is
    > remote.
    >
    > I will try Treeman's suggestions next.
    >
    > The saga continues,
    > ks_crnhskr
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Let us know the outcome!
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > Printing & Imaging
    > >

    > > "ks_crnhskr" <kscrnhskr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Carl & Treeman
    > > > Thanks for the tips. Yes, camcorder is on, in VCR mode, and hooked up to
    > > > the external power supply. I'm taking the camcorder, the firewire cable,
    > > > and
    > > > the PCI card to a friend who is still running SP1. We're going to see
    > > > what
    > > > happens in that configuration. I'll keep you all posted. My own belief
    > > > is
    > > > it is the SP2 problem with firewire that I've seen everyone talking about.
    > > >
    > > > thanks,
    > > > -ks_crnhskr

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    System Management Bus 2.0 Specification Available Now
    The System Management Bus (*SMBus*) is a low power, low cost,
    communication link between a wide variety of devices including
    batteries, power devices, and system sensors. The SMBus 2.0 now
    provides flexible addressing and Plug and Play support that allows the
    SMBus to migrate onto PCI add-in cards. The new addressing mechanism of
    SMBus 2.0 allows devices to report systems faults, even if the operating
    system does not load. The SMBus remains active even during power
    management states when the PCI devices are turned off, allowing
    communication during sleep states without waking up the power-hungry
    PCI bus. Additionally, SMBus 2.0 also defines a robust alternative
    electrical specification for designs whose signals must cross the PCI
    connector. The SMBus 2.0 Specification is available now at
    http://www.smbus.org/specs/.
    FYI,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Will,
    It was an FYI for the OP regarding the statement he made below;

    "There was one driver in the "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" list that
    had a yellow exclaimation point. It said something like "Intel SMbus
    2.0".
    I uninstalled it and rebooted figuring XP would reinstall the driver.
    It did
    not."
    Unless your post wasn't directed at me?
    Best,