Get rid of Everything!!

G

Is there a program or someway to delete every little piece of info on my hard drive? i know format doesn't get it all, but what does?

ps. Don't ask why....Oh and one more thing...

What does it mean when your computer just decides to restart all by itself? I swear it must do it every 15 minutes. It doesn't matter what im doing, it just restarts.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sk8r108 on 05/14/01 06:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hm... I know there are programs out there, but at this moment, I forget their names. I believe Powerquest and Symantec should have some programs out.

Maybe inadequate power supply? Environment conflict?

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The program you are asking about is FDisk, DiskDruid, Partition Magic, etc. like that.
The other thing is I bet you are running mobo with VIA's chipset, probably KT7 or else.

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think even after a format and Fdisd data can still be recovered (like by the FBI). I think in norton works there is a program called wipe. It makes data totally unrecoverable by writing to each sector up to 3 times. Takes a long time.

Cya

<font color=red>There are only 2 types of hard drives. Ones that have crashed and ones that are about to.</font color=red>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I have a freeware program for Windows: <A HREF="http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,000RIF,.html" target="_new">Eraser v5.01</A>.

You might keep restarting automatically because of heat problems. Open up your computer and check if all of your fans (especially on your CPU) are running. If it's every 15 minutes, it takes that long for your CPU temperature threshold to be obtained before it restarts itself to protect for electronic migration(?)...LoL...it's called something like that.

Hope that helps! :smile:

<i>OC...unless your computer's cheezy (is that a good rhyme?)</i> :eek:

G

ok, well one of you guys was right about be using a mobo with a via chipset. Im using a SOYO 6VCA. Let me tell you about my problems....

The restarting thing, doesn't bother me as much as this...i get blue screens when i do anything (ie: open up a program, burn a cd, or just shutdown) but its the same blue screen everytime "fatal exception...blah blaah...this program will be closed" or something like that. I don't know what the hell is causing it, i now only have two cards in my comp because im afraid of what it will do with the others in. I have a agp video card and my ethernet card. I have posted this problem on one other computer site, but i guess they couldn't figure it out. Maybe you can.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Make sure you have all the latest drivers (BIOS, VIA 4 in 1, video card, network, ETC.). I don’t have any experience with a SOYO but I can tell you the newest drivers took care of all my problems on my A7V. Also when you get the blue screen of death write down the memory location. You can then go into system information and see which device uses that memory location.

Cya

<font color=red>There are only 2 types of hard drives. Ones that have crashed and ones that are about to.</font color=red>

G

there's a slight problem with that lowlypawn...i get a blue screen when i go into system information. Every single time.

"fatal exception at" OE 0028:C001409B
VXD VMM(01) + 0001309B

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is actually a good thing that you can reproduce the error.
Is this a new system? Or was it working well in the past and just started acting up.
I am assuming that you have all the newest drivers and stuff so what I would do is start removing everything but the essentials. That means the network card, then see if it still has the problem.
If that doesn’t fix it you might have a hardware issue. I just read a post were a bad stick of memory was causing the blue screen of death. Try different memory, hard drives, bios setting (to maximum stability). I don’t know what hardware you have available to you but hopefully you have a friend with a computer that might be able to help you out. I had a friend give me a couple of hard drives to see if they were the problem (they were fine). Knowing what hardware is ok will help you narrow your list of candidates.
Wish I could be more help.
Good luck & Cya

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Perhaps you could even try reinstalling Windows over itself to see if it'll fix a DLL or VXD problem...

Did someone mention to set your BIOS back to it's defaults? Are you overclocking? Memory is pretty reliable. If your system was working fine before, though, I don't know. But, check everything inside your computer while it's running. Just try checking the fans and stuff. (It doesn't hurt.) But, agreeing with Lowlypawn, you should try to eliminate any problems you can think of.

<i>OC...unless your computer's cheezy (is that a good rhyme?)</i> :eek:

G

Yes its called Slate and it wipes everything off yuor hdd, leaving nothing, its small enough that I could probably mail it to you if you wanted