Top Death Metal Albums of All Time!!!

rockermike7

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hey guys, just thought I'd drop a list of my top 15 death metal (this includes melodic/viking/black/thrash infusions as well) albums of all time. I wanna know your guys' thoughts on this and maybe if I missed an album that really should be up there! Here we go!

15) The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual
Yes, I have an album from 2011 on this list. The album is absolutely fantastic, and deserves a listen, or seventy. :D

14) Cryptopsy - None so Vile
A true tech-death classic. This album RIPS!

13) Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Nile's best album, and absolutely crushing. One of the heaviest albums I've ever listened to.

12) Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Yeah. It's Obituary's best material. Really can't say any more about that.

11) Vital Remains - Icons of Evil
This album is insane - extreme tempos, brutal vocals, and anti-religious lyrics. Some would venture to say it's the best brutal death metal album ever.

10) Suffocation - Pierced From Within
Suffocation started breakdowns in death metal. This album is their best work.

9) Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt
Yeah, Arsis is one of the best tech death bands, and this album proves my point.

8) Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
Bolt Thrower is a quintessential death metal band and they really don't have a weak album. However, this album stands out as their shining gem in the bunch.

7) At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
The greatest melodic death metal album of all time.

6) Carcass - Necroticism-Descanting the Insalubrious
Death/thrash/grind greats Carcass' best album.

Okay, now things just got really real. Top 5. These are always the hardest to choose because they're all absolutely fantastic, but I've done my best to organize them into fair standing.

5) Entombed - Clandestine
Entombed is a band that I can sometimes forget about, but their album Clandestine is possibly one of the most unrelenting death metal albums ever.

4) Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated/Spawn of the Wretched (It's a tie!!!)
Cannibal Corpse is the best selling death metal band in the U.S. and they have two releases that stick out in my mind. Tomb has a lot of their classics, the most prominent being "Hammer Smashed Face", while Spawn of the Wretched is their first album in the more technical direction of modern Corpse, and I would contend it's one of the heaviest albums ever written.

3) Death - Leprosy
Death is kind of the band that started it all, and their 1988 work Leprosy really stands out as a masterpiece as well as one of the first true death metal albums ever.

2) Deicide - Deicide/Stench of Redemption (Yeah another tie)
Both of these albums are stunningly good. Their self-titled work is a quintessential album that everyone MUST have, and Stench is a newer release and after they had a couple lineup changes. It marked the end of a drought after their great album Legion.

1) Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
This is Morbid Angel's best album, by far. This 1989 classic is perhaps the best metal album of all time, though some debate as to whether or not Leprosy by Death, Deicide's self-titled, or CC's Tomb. However, I argue that no other album was as thorough, crushing, or game-changing as Altars of Madness was in 1989. Morbid Angel was way ahead of their time and this album set the blueprint for the next ten years in death metal, while all the other bands had to catch up to the magnitude of this material.

So that marks my Top 15 Death Metal Albums of All Time list! Tell me what you guys think and feel free to openly debate the positions or if a different album altogether should be up there. Cheers!

rockermike7

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I guess that IS their classic. >.< I guess I'm biased because that was the first AA I ever listened to. I was late to the Amon Amarth party hehe. But thanks! :D