I need suggestions to replace Pinnacle Studio 9

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2004 10:12:19 PM

Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
trash.

So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
solutions.

I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will

1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
and
3) Is Easy to use

Please help

Ed,
June 23, 2004 5:28:35 AM

Grab the July 2004 issue of PC Magazine and check page 36 where Jan Ozer
reviews 5 video editors (including Studio9) but recommends Ulead
VideoStudio 8.

ECVerify.com wrote:
> Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
> PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
> problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
> editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
> DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
> 50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
> now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
> case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
> minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
> someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
> capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
> buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
> did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
> wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
> Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
> trash.
>
> So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
> we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
> solutions.
>
> I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
> MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
>
> 1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
> 2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
> and
> 3) Is Easy to use
>
> Please help
>
> Ed,
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 12:24:49 PM

Certifiable <znospam@somenews.net> wrote in message news:<40D8DC75.4000100@somenews.net>...
> Grab the July 2004 issue of PC Magazine and check page 36 where Jan Ozer
> reviews 5 video editors (including Studio9) but recommends Ulead
> VideoStudio 8.
>
> ECVerify.com wrote:
> > Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
> > PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
> > problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
> > editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
> > DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
> > 50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
> > now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
> > case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
> > minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
> > someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
> > capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
> > buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
> > did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
> > wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
> > Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
> > trash.
> >
> > So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
> > we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
> > solutions.
> >
> > I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
> > MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
> >
> > 1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
> > 2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
> > and
> > 3) Is Easy to use
> >
> > Please help
> >
> > Ed,

Thanks, I will get that issue, good timing :)
June 23, 2004 4:44:18 PM

In news:ECVerify.com <google@gencode.com> typed:
> Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
> PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
> problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
> editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
> DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
> 50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
> now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
> case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
> minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
> someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
> capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
> buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
> did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
> wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
> Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
> trash.
>
> So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
> we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
> solutions.
>
> I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
> MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
>
> 1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
> 2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
> and
> 3) Is Easy to use
>
> Please help
>
> Ed,

Seems like you need:
A capture box
Video editing software
Authoring software

By now you must have realized that bargain's are no bargain at all. So,
for capture that work all and every time and with very good quality, get
a Canopus ADVC100. You-will-not-regret-it.
Editing software. That's a tough one as everybody has their own opinion
as to what the perfect editing app should be like. A few choices for
beginner, on top of the one already mentionned: Sony Screenblast is good
for beginner and there's an upgrade path to Vegas were you to decide
that you want more features later; Mainconcept Eve is a favorite amongst
many of my friends, affordable, easy to use and good quality; Canopus
Let's edit and Magix movie edit pro are two other amongst the better
known and Google can turn a slew of others I'm sure. The best thing to
do is to allocate some time to run the trial version and decide which
one you like best.
I can't comment on authoring tools as I don't do DVD authoring, but I'm
sure other in this group will come with good suggestions.

--
www.odysea.ca
June 24, 2004 12:00:25 AM

google@gencode.com (ECVerify.com) wrote:

>Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
>PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
>problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
>editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
>DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
>50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
>now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
>case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
>minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
>someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
>capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
>buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
>did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
>wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
>Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
>trash.
>
>So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
>we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
>solutions.
>
>I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
>MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
>
>1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
>2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
>and
>3) Is Easy to use
>
>Please help
>
>Ed,

Take a look at Ulead products as there are less problems with their
video programs. You can download them and try them for a limited
period and they are fully working during that period.
www.ulead.com
I'd suggest trying Ulead Video Studio 8 first.
Ulead DVD Moviestudio 3 and Cyberlink Powerdirector 3 are also worth
trying. All of these programs are easy to use.

Regards Brian
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:00:26 AM

There is no capture card included with Ulead Studio 8. It is only an
editing software!
Fred

Brian, would you like to sell me the Pinnacle Studio 9 ? (delete 'delete'
from my e-mail address)

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> google@gencode.com (ECVerify.com) wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
> >PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
> >problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
> >editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
> >DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
> >50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
> >now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
> >case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
> >minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
> >someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
> >capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
> >buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
> >did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
> >wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
> >Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
> >trash.
> >
> >So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
> >we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
> >solutions.
> >
> >I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
> >MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
> >
> >1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
> >2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
> >and
> >3) Is Easy to use
> >
> >Please help
> >
> >Ed,
>
> Take a look at Ulead products as there are less problems with their
> video programs. You can download them and try them for a limited
> period and they are fully working during that period.
> www.ulead.com
> I'd suggest trying Ulead Video Studio 8 first.
> Ulead DVD Moviestudio 3 and Cyberlink Powerdirector 3 are also worth
> trying. All of these programs are easy to use.
>
> Regards Brian

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:00:26 AM

Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message news:<vpdid09305hp1fh36nf46tsb3egq30tpqs@4ax.com>...
> google@gencode.com (ECVerify.com) wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
> >PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
> >problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
> >editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
> >DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
> >50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
> >now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
> >case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
> >minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
> >someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
> >capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
> >buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
> >did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
> >wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
> >Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
> >trash.
> >
> >So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
> >we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
> >solutions.
> >
> >I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
> >MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
> >
> >1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
> >2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
> >and
> >3) Is Easy to use
> >
> >Please help
> >
> >Ed,
>
> Take a look at Ulead products as there are less problems with their
> video programs. You can download them and try them for a limited
> period and they are fully working during that period.
> www.ulead.com
> I'd suggest trying Ulead Video Studio 8 first.
> Ulead DVD Moviestudio 3 and Cyberlink Powerdirector 3 are also worth
> trying. All of these programs are easy to use.
>
> Regards Brian

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I will give them a try, Ed,
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:31:19 AM

Certifiable <znospam@somenews.net> wrote in message news:<40D8DC75.4000100@somenews.net>...
> Grab the July 2004 issue of PC Magazine and check page 36 where Jan Ozer
> reviews 5 video editors (including Studio9) but recommends Ulead
> VideoStudio 8.
>
> ECVerify.com wrote:
> > Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
> > PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
> > problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
> > editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
> > DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
> > 50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
> > now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
> > case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
> > minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
> > someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
> > capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
> > buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
> > did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
> > wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
> > Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
> > trash.
> >
> > So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
> > we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
> > solutions.
> >
> > I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
> > MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
> >
> > 1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
> > 2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
> > and
> > 3) Is Easy to use
> >
> > Please help
> >
> > Ed,

Well I tried ULead trial and it worked first time, no bad DVD and no
A/V Sync problems, thanks for the suggestions.

Here is a great link for anyone interested
http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,4835,00.asp
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:33:11 AM

Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message news:<vpdid09305hp1fh36nf46tsb3egq30tpqs@4ax.com>...
> google@gencode.com (ECVerify.com) wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
> >PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
> >problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
> >editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
> >DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
> >50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
> >now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
> >case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
> >minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
> >someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
> >capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
> >buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
> >did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
> >wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
> >Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
> >trash.
> >
> >So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
> >we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
> >solutions.
> >
> >I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
> >MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
> >
> >1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
> >2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
> >and
> >3) Is Easy to use
> >
> >Please help
> >
> >Ed,
>
> Take a look at Ulead products as there are less problems with their
> video programs. You can download them and try them for a limited
> period and they are fully working during that period.
> www.ulead.com
> I'd suggest trying Ulead Video Studio 8 first.
> Ulead DVD Moviestudio 3 and Cyberlink Powerdirector 3 are also worth
> trying. All of these programs are easy to use.
>
> Regards Brian

It worked, no update or parch needed, no need to stop services, no bad
DVD and no Sync problem...but I will say I like Pinnacle editor a lot
better, it is much more friendly...or it could be that I am just used
to it. Anyhow at least it worked with out any site of a bug.

Here is a great link for anyone interested
http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,4835,00.asp
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:34:52 AM

"Deco_time" <coral_city2000@NOSPAMyahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<GriCc.29589$Nz.1314201@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> In news:ECVerify.com <google@gencode.com> typed:
> > Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
> > PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
> > problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
> > editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
> > DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
> > 50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
> > now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
> > case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
> > minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
> > someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
> > capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
> > buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
> > did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
> > wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
> > Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
> > trash.
> >
> > So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
> > we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
> > solutions.
> >
> > I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
> > MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
> >
> > 1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
> > 2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
> > and
> > 3) Is Easy to use
> >
> > Please help
> >
> > Ed,
>
> Seems like you need:
> A capture box
> Video editing software
> Authoring software
>
> By now you must have realized that bargain's are no bargain at all. So,
> for capture that work all and every time and with very good quality, get
> a Canopus ADVC100. You-will-not-regret-it.
> Editing software. That's a tough one as everybody has their own opinion
> as to what the perfect editing app should be like. A few choices for
> beginner, on top of the one already mentionned: Sony Screenblast is good
> for beginner and there's an upgrade path to Vegas were you to decide
> that you want more features later; Mainconcept Eve is a favorite amongst
> many of my friends, affordable, easy to use and good quality; Canopus
> Let's edit and Magix movie edit pro are two other amongst the better
> known and Google can turn a slew of others I'm sure. The best thing to
> do is to allocate some time to run the trial version and decide which
> one you like best.
> I can't comment on authoring tools as I don't do DVD authoring, but I'm
> sure other in this group will come with good suggestions.

Thanks!
June 24, 2004 9:05:08 PM

Out of interest what were the names of the 5 video editors that were
tested?. It will be a while before the July issue of PC Magazine comes
to my country.

Regards Brian

Certifiable <znospam@somenews.net> wrote:

>Grab the July 2004 issue of PC Magazine and check page 36 where Jan Ozer
>reviews 5 video editors (including Studio9) but recommends Ulead
>VideoStudio 8.
>
>ECVerify.com wrote:
>> Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
>> PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
>> problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
>> editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
>> DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
>> 50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
>> now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
>> case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
>> minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
>> someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
>> capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
>> buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
>> did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
>> wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
>> Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
>> trash.
>>
>> So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
>> we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
>> solutions.
>>
>> I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
>> MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
>>
>> 1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
>> 2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
>> and
>> 3) Is Easy to use
>>
>> Please help
>>
>> Ed,
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 1:15:57 PM

Have you considered Magix Video DeLuxe 2004 ?
Martin
> I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
> MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
>
> 1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
> 2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
> and
> 3) Is Easy to use
>
> Please help
>
> Ed,
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 3:23:30 PM

On 25 Jun 2004 18:03:05 -0700, google@gencode.com (ECVerify.com)
wrote:

>WOW, this woman sure can play both sides of the fence, read what she
>wrote here, I think she must have been drunk
>

>http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl2627496651d&dq=&...

Many, _many_, have collected failure after failure with Studio. So may
be the drunken are the ones that insist in trying it.

Not that it may not work perfectly for some. But it's a nightmare for
the rest. Just peruse past postings to video newsgroups, and you'll
find how the Studio problems is a recurring topic.
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 10:14:39 PM

Here's another thought. If you are a teacher, anywhere from grade school to
higher ed, you might get Sony Vegas 5 and a DVD production package from the
Academic Superstore
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.htm...
for about $260, which would put you in an altogether better league than any
of the software yet mentioned on this thread.

cheers--

"ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
> PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
> problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
> editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
> DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
> 50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
> now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
> case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
> minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
> someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
> capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
> buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
> did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
> wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
> Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
> trash.
>
> So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
> we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
> solutions.
>
> I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
> MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
>
> 1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
> 2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
> and
> 3) Is Easy to use
>
> Please help
>
> Ed,
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 2:38:46 PM

Vegas with DVD Architect is a
great combination, if you can get
a big discount.

Otherwise, ULead's video software
packages are good and inexpensive.
They are more stable than Pinnacle's
and MovieStar.

Good luck,
George

>Subject: Re: I need suggestions to replace Pinnacle Studio 9
>From: "comcast2" elmo@comcast.net
>Date: 6/26/2004 7:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>
>Here's another thought. If you are a teacher, anywhere from grade school to
>higher ed, you might get Sony Vegas 5 and a DVD production package from the
>Academic Superstore
>
>http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.htm...
_srch=Vegas+DVD
>for about $260, which would put you in an altogether better league than any
>of the software yet mentioned on this thread.
>
>cheers--
>

>"ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message
>> Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
>> PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
>> problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
>> editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
>> DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
>> 50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
>> now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
>> case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
>> minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
>> someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
>> capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
>> buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
>> did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
>> wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
>> Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
>> trash.
>>
>> So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
>> we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
>> solutions.
>>
>> I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
>> MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
>>
>> 1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
>> 2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
>> and
>> 3) Is Easy to use
>>
>> Please help
>>
>> Ed,

Anonymous
June 28, 2004 11:10:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestion George

georgelees@aol.comorg (G L) wrote in message news:<20040627063846.26512.00000733@mb-m03.aol.com>...
> Vegas with DVD Architect is a
> great combination, if you can get
> a big discount.
>
> Otherwise, ULead's video software
> packages are good and inexpensive.
> They are more stable than Pinnacle's
> and MovieStar.
>
> Good luck,
> George
>

> >Subject: Re: I need suggestions to replace Pinnacle Studio 9
> >From: "comcast2" elmo@comcast.net
> >Date: 6/26/2004 7:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> >
> >Here's another thought. If you are a teacher, anywhere from grade school to
> >higher ed, you might get Sony Vegas 5 and a DVD production package from the
> >Academic Superstore
> >
> >http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.htm...
> _srch=Vegas+DVD
> >for about $260, which would put you in an altogether better league than any
> >of the software yet mentioned on this thread.
> >
> >cheers--
> >

> >"ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi everyone, I need some help, well I got a copy of Pinnacle 7 with a
> >> PC (free), then I upgraded to Studion 8, and had lots of
> >> problems...with very little or no support I pretty much just stopped
> >> editing and gave up, I was simply trying to convert my kids VHS's to
> >> DVD. Then came along Studio 9, well BestBuy had it on sale for about
> >> 50 bucks, so I got it thinking they fixed the bugs and that I could
> >> now convert my VHS's to DVD with less problems...but that was not the
> >> case, I had problems with 9 too, so I called Pinnacle after about 40
> >> minutes on hold on my dime (There is no 1-800 number) I finally got
> >> someone, she told me the reason I had problems is I used MovieStar to
> >> capture the VHS tapes and they dont support that anymore so I must
> >> buy MovieBox USB ($200) and then I will not have any problems...well I
> >> did, I shelled out the 200 bucks and well simply put she was very
> >> wrong, same old problems (tons of them). So I am out the price of
> >> Studio 8, MovieStar, Movie Box and the 20-30 DVD's I tossed in the
> >> trash.
> >>
> >> So this thread is not to complain on all the bad points of Pinnacle,
> >> we all know them, but it is to get some suggestions of alternative
> >> solutions.
> >>
> >> I would like is some suggestions on something else I can return my
> >> MovieBox for and get at BestBuy that will
> >>
> >> 1) Be stable and works 90% of the time or better.
> >> 2) Has cool features like Pinnacle
> >> and
> >> 3) Is Easy to use
> >>
> >> Please help
> >>
> >> Ed,

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 10:52:36 PM

"Susan" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Ed,
>
> I don't argue with idiots, especially idiots who can't read or
> comprehend simple sentences. However, I will point out that if you
> get someone to very slowly read your original post and my reply, you
> may be able to understand that:
>
> ONE - YOU HAD ALREADY PURCHASED TWO VERSIONS OF STUDIO INSTEAD OF
> TAKING MY ADVICE.
>
> TWO - SINCE YOU HAD ALREADY PURCHASED STUDIO AND CLEARLY WERE CLUELESS
> ABOUT COMPUTERS, I ADVISED YOU TO TRY TO DISCOVER WHY YOU WERE SO
> UNSUCCESSFUL USING A PROGRAM THAT IS HAPPILY USED BY PEOPLE ALL OVER
> THE WORLD. I DID NOT SUGGEST YOU PURCHASE STUDIO OR USE IT, I
> SUGGESTED YOU LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT COMPUTERS AND ABOUT EDITING VIDEO.
>
> YOU HAVE REPLIED THAT YOU ARE AN "EXPERT" IN SOME NON-VIDEO RELATED
> FIELDS OF PROGRAMING. TO DATE, YOU HAVE WRITTEN NOTHING TO LEAD ME TO
> BELIEVE YOU ARE AN EXPERT AT ANTHING EXCEPT BEING UNABLE TO UNDERSTAND
> WRITTEN ENGLISH.

Susan:

I would agree with the suggestions in your original post if we were
discussing some software that is generally sound, but the Pinnacle Studio
line is NOT one of them. I have tried versions 7,8,9 and found them all
very buggy and trouble prone. I am sure some people have finally gotten
them to work, but my 40 years of video experience and 29 years of computer
work is not sufficient, when there are many other choices that JUST seem to
work pretty well out of the box.

If Tavy is still working at Pinnacle, give her my Best Wishes, she worked
for me at ALTA
Group in the 1980's.

Mike Tallent
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 5:38:13 PM

Thanks, Well I was able to get a lot of good alternatives from a lot
of good people. I actually only needed a couple to try but with all
the links I was able to get quite a few more. Although I could not
try them all the ULead and Sony ones worked out of the box and was
good enough for my applications. I like the panning of stills in the
ULead software, that is pretty neat.

Thanks again, Ed,

Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message news:<3vfqd0po9bqqi7gvleg4gpgh9m4v33ep84@4ax.com>...
> On 25 Jun 2004 18:03:05 -0700, google@gencode.com (ECVerify.com)
> wrote:
>
> >WOW, this woman sure can play both sides of the fence, read what she
> >wrote here, I think she must have been drunk
> >

> >http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl2627496651d&dq=&...
>
> Many, _many_, have collected failure after failure with Studio. So may
> be the drunken are the ones that insist in trying it.
>
> Not that it may not work perfectly for some. But it's a nightmare for
> the rest. Just peruse past postings to video newsgroups, and you'll
> find how the Studio problems is a recurring topic.
January 15, 2005 1:06:27 AM

I have Studio 8. I bought Studio 9 but was unable to install it on my
computer because the new software kept detecting Studo 8 even though
part of the install process was to delete the old version. I sent
Pinnacle an e-mail but although they acknowledged getting my e-mail
they never sent an answer. I took Studio 8 back and bought Rexio 7
instead. For $20 more, it is one heck of a better product. Works
great. Loaded w/o problem. And you can keep the old version working
as well. Buy Roxio and forget Pinnacle's junk and you can record and
read more video formats than with S8. I still use S8 for analog
capture so but the quality isn't that good.
January 15, 2005 5:49:36 PM

"stan" <dstanchos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have Studio 8. I bought Studio 9 but was unable to install it on my
> computer because the new software kept detecting Studo 8 even though
> part of the install process was to delete the old version. I sent
> Pinnacle an e-mail but although they acknowledged getting my e-mail
> they never sent an answer. I took Studio 8 back and bought Rexio 7
> instead. For $20 more, it is one heck of a better product. Works
> great. Loaded w/o problem. And you can keep the old version working
> as well. Buy Roxio and forget Pinnacle's junk and you can record and
> read more video formats than with S8. I still use S8 for analog
> capture so but the quality isn't that good.

You must phraze this in the form of a question :)
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 2:42:01 AM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:49:36 -0500, "Jimmy" <JimmyCliff@xemaps.com>
wrote:

>"stan" <dstanchos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I have Studio 8. I bought Studio 9 but was unable to install it on my
>> computer because the new software kept detecting Studo 8 even though
>> part of the install process was to delete the old version. I sent
>> Pinnacle an e-mail but although they acknowledged getting my e-mail
>> they never sent an answer. I took Studio 8 back and bought Rexio 7
>> instead. For $20 more, it is one heck of a better product. Works
>> great. Loaded w/o problem. And you can keep the old version working
>> as well. Buy Roxio and forget Pinnacle's junk and you can record and
>> read more video formats than with S8. I still use S8 for analog
>> capture so but the quality isn't that good.
>>

> You must phraze this in the form of a question :)

That is because he does not know what he is doing or talking obout if
he thinks Roxio is better. Obviously, he did not read the Pinnacle
site which has an utility that removes all traces of Pinnacle 8 from
the hard drive in all locations. The original poster and Roxio
deserve each other.
!