Macrovision encoding advice please...

I am looking at making my own training and demonstration DVD.

I'd like to be able to scupper casual attempts to copy it.

Ive been looking at Ulead DVD Workshop which offers Macrovision & CSS
encryption but the online product blurb says I need a license.

I'm not about to get into high volume production.

Does anyone know the cost for getting a Macrovision License and how to go
about?

Thanks for any advice and info.

Ian

Rich

"Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> I am looking at making my own training and demonstration DVD.
>
> I'd like to be able to scupper casual attempts to copy it.
>
> Ive been looking at Ulead DVD Workshop which offers Macrovision & CSS
> encryption but the online product blurb says I need a license.
>
> I'm not about to get into high volume production.
>
> Does anyone know the cost for getting a Macrovision License and how to go
> about?
>
> Thanks for any advice and info.
>
> Ian

Try:
http://www.macrovision.com

Rich

Ian Roberts wrote:

> I am looking at making my own training and demonstration DVD.
>
> I'd like to be able to scupper casual attempts to copy it.
>
> Ive been looking at Ulead DVD Workshop which offers Macrovision & CSS
> encryption but the online product blurb says I need a license.
>
> I'm not about to get into high volume production.
>
> Does anyone know the cost for getting a Macrovision License and how to go
> about?
>
> Thanks for any advice and info.
>
> Ian

Copying a DVD with or without Macrovision is so trivial a task that anyone
who wants to copy it will be able to.

Casual DVD copying requires only a DVD writer ($90) and freely available
software (DVD Shrink).

Since you're a small operation, I wouldn't advise spending money on
Macrovision, which in my opinion would be a waste of money that you could
better invest in marketing your services.

Practically nobody uses old fashioned VCRs anymore, so protecting the analog
output isn't going to buy you much.

"Keith Clark" <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Ian Roberts wrote:
>
> > I am looking at making my own training and demonstration DVD.
> >
> > I'd like to be able to scupper casual attempts to copy it.
> >
> > Ive been looking at Ulead DVD Workshop which offers Macrovision & CSS
> > encryption but the online product blurb says I need a license.
> >
> > I'm not about to get into high volume production.
> >
> > Does anyone know the cost for getting a Macrovision License and how to
go
> > about?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice and info.
> >
> > Ian
>
> Copying a DVD with or without Macrovision is so trivial a task that anyone
> who wants to copy it will be able to.
>
> Casual DVD copying requires only a DVD writer ($90) and freely available
> software (DVD Shrink).
>
> Since you're a small operation, I wouldn't advise spending money on
> Macrovision, which in my opinion would be a waste of money that you could
> better invest in marketing your services.
>
> Practically nobody uses old fashioned VCRs anymore, so protecting the
analog
> output isn't going to buy you much.

Agree !!!

my 2 cents

> Agree !!!
>
> my 2 cents

I do not agree with you. Today Macrovision has a number of analog
layers which prevent DVD to VHS recording.
(Example: http://www.dimax.com.ua)
Also they use CGMS/A protection which prevents DVD to DVD recording
with DVD recorders
(Example http://www.dimax.com.ua/English/dvd_recorder.htm)
CGMS ( Copy Generation Management System ) is widely detected by many
dvd readers and can stop some attempts to copy DVD content using PC
DVD burner.
So I think putting Macrovision on home made DVD can be a good idea.
This should not be complex because IMHO this is only a number of bits
on the DVD media.

"xol" wrote ...
> So I think putting Macrovision on home made DVD can
> be a good idea. This should not be complex because IMHO
> this is only a number of bits on the DVD media.

The issue isn't the complexity. It takes only one bit to turn
on Macrovision on a DVD. The rub is the licensing fees
which don't seem designed for the small-time producer.

xol wrote:

> > Agree !!!
> >
> > my 2 cents
>
> I do not agree with you. Today Macrovision has a number of analog
> layers which prevent DVD to VHS recording.

But who cares?

Who in their right mind even thinks about using a VCR these days?

> (Example: http://www.dimax.com.ua)
> Also they use CGMS/A protection which prevents DVD to DVD recording
> with DVD recorders
> (Example http://www.dimax.com.ua/English/dvd_recorder.htm)
> CGMS ( Copy Generation Management System ) is widely detected by many
> dvd readers and can stop some attempts to copy DVD content using PC
> DVD burner.
> So I think putting Macrovision on home made DVD can be a good idea.
> This should not be complex because IMHO this is only a number of bits
> on the DVD media.

Again, anyone who wants to copy a DVD already has software that
completely ignores Macrovision.

When I buy a DVD that's going to see a lot of use (kids stuff that'll get
played for every teenage sleepover for instance), the first thing I do is
make a copy, and the copy is what gets played till it won't play anymore,
then we just make another one from the original. This is legal under Fair
Use and Macrovision doesn't even add one second to the copy time or even
one degree of difficulty. I just put in the DVD, the blank, start
DVD-Shrink, which is freely downloadable, and two mouse clicks later, the
copy is going.

So again, for a small outfit the expense of Macrovision is just a waste
of money that could be better spent on other things, necessary things
with a real ROI.

If Macrovision actually stopped anyone from copying, that would be one
thing, but the fact is, Macrovision stops nothing. It's outdated and
un-necessary.

People's ability to copy DVDs has not hurt sales. DVD sales are booming.
You Macrovision guys come across like Luddites.

> xol wrote:
>

> > > Agree !!!
> > >
> > > my 2 cents
> >
> > I do not agree with you. Today Macrovision has a number of analog
> > layers which prevent DVD to VHS recording.
>
> But who cares?
>
> Who in their right mind even thinks about using a VCR these days?
>
> > (Example: http://www.dimax.com.ua)
> > Also they use CGMS/A protection which prevents DVD to DVD recording
> > with DVD recorders
> > (Example http://www.dimax.com.ua/English/dvd_recorder.htm)
> > CGMS ( Copy Generation Management System ) is widely detected by many
> > dvd readers and can stop some attempts to copy DVD content using PC
> > DVD burner.
> > So I think putting Macrovision on home made DVD can be a good idea.
> > This should not be complex because IMHO this is only a number of bits
> > on the DVD media.
>
> Again, anyone who wants to copy a DVD already has software that
> completely ignores Macrovision.
>
> When I buy a DVD that's going to see a lot of use (kids stuff that'll get
> played for every teenage sleepover for instance), the first thing I do is
> make a copy, and the copy is what gets played till it won't play anymore,
> then we just make another one from the original. This is legal under Fair
> Use and Macrovision doesn't even add one second to the copy time or even
> one degree of difficulty. I just put in the DVD, the blank, start
> DVD-Shrink, which is freely downloadable, and two mouse clicks later, the
> copy is going.
>
> So again, for a small outfit the expense of Macrovision is just a waste
> of money that could be better spent on other things, necessary things
> with a real ROI.
>
> If Macrovision actually stopped anyone from copying, that would be one
> thing, but the fact is, Macrovision stops nothing. It's outdated and
> un-necessary.
>
> People's ability to copy DVDs has not hurt sales. DVD sales are booming.
> You Macrovision guys come across like Luddites.

I only burn dvds for my camcorder, junk.

The rest of the dvds stay on the dvd.

my 2 cents

Ian Roberts wrote:
> snip <
> Does anyone know the cost for getting a Macrovision License

I got the following from one of the Vegas forums I read.
Shoud be enough to scare you off even thinking about it:-(

"To get CSS you have to print to DLT and for macrovision you have to get a
usage license from Macrovision to be able to enable it.
Unless you are willing to spend a minimum of .15 per disk for quantities of
over 10K disks, or as much as .65 per disk for quantities of 1K or higher,
you don't get the benefit of CSS/Macrovision."

Mike

"Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> I am looking at making my own training and demonstration DVD.
>
> I'd like to be able to scupper casual attempts to copy it.
>
> Ive been looking at Ulead DVD Workshop which offers Macrovision & CSS
> encryption but the online product blurb says I need a license.
>
> I'm not about to get into high volume production.
>
> Does anyone know the cost for getting a Macrovision License and how to go
> about?
>
> Thanks for any advice and info.
>
> Ian

Thanks Guys for all your helpful replies.

Yep looks like its a waste of time and for the low number I'm likely to
produce its not financially viable anyway.

Cheers