cheap video editing software

I've been looking at the 150 and under editors, trying them out, all but
Pinnacle with which I have a prvious experience.

Trying to see how my responses connect or don't to those others.

Roxio Videowave -- seems great at first, but as soon as you get any
significant amt of tape captured everything slows down. Has pretty good text
and effects. Not good for longer projects. Crashes some

Sony Screenblast -the little brother of Vegas Video, has a slightly
different interface and approach than other pgms, seems fast.

Ulead Video Studio 8 -- a bit of a learning curve, does some thing
differently, but seems to be stable (no crashes so far), and output control
is OK.

Windows Movie Maker -- a junior partner to most of the above, but still easy
to work with and doesn't seem to crash. Have not done a longer project.
Seems less capable in terms of add ins, effects, titles, etc.

These are very preliminary "opinions" after just a couple or three weeks of
messing (and I do mean messing) with these programs. A couple others I have
already deleted (PowerDirector just kept crashing on me)

I'd be very excited to hear other opinions from other users of editing
software in this ballpark. What do you use and why do you use it, and why
do you prefer it to the other options available?

Thanks in advance--
8 answers Last reply
More about cheap video editing software

    "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I've been looking at the 150 and under editors, trying them out, all but
    > Pinnacle with which I have a prvious experience.
    >
    > Trying to see how my responses connect or don't to those others.

    I would spend the 150 on a new sealed legal copy of Adobe Premier 5.x on
    Ebay.
    One of the best. Some might claim the best.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=185&item=3685032783&rd=1
    Super powerful and plug ins galore.

    comcast2 wrote:

    > I've been looking at the 150 and under editors, trying them out, all but
    > Pinnacle with which I have a prvious experience.
    >
    > Trying to see how my responses connect or don't to those others.
    >
    > Roxio Videowave -- seems great at first, but as soon as you get any
    > significant amt of tape captured everything slows down. Has pretty good text
    > and effects. Not good for longer projects. Crashes some
    >
    > Sony Screenblast -the little brother of Vegas Video, has a slightly
    > different interface and approach than other pgms, seems fast.
    >
    > Ulead Video Studio 8 -- a bit of a learning curve, does some thing
    > differently, but seems to be stable (no crashes so far), and output control
    > is OK.
    >
    > Windows Movie Maker -- a junior partner to most of the above, but still easy
    > to work with and doesn't seem to crash. Have not done a longer project.
    > Seems less capable in terms of add ins, effects, titles, etc.
    >
    > These are very preliminary "opinions" after just a couple or three weeks of
    > messing (and I do mean messing) with these programs. A couple others I have
    > already deleted (PowerDirector just kept crashing on me)
    >
    > I'd be very excited to hear other opinions from other users of editing
    > software in this ballpark. What do you use and why do you use it, and why
    > do you prefer it to the other options available?
    >
    > Thanks in advance--

    Before you can decide what program is best you need to clearly list your goals
    objectives and specific needs. I haven't seen that addressed here yet...

    That said, take a look at Virtual Dub. No frills, no fancy interface, but very
    powerful, very capable, and free, as well as open source.

    For basic editing, I also use Ulead Video Studio (came free with my DVD burner).
    It's not too shabby for what it is.

    But not knowing your requirements, it's impossible to have any truly meaningful
    discussion.

    "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I've been looking at the 150 and under editors, trying them out, all but
    > Pinnacle with which I have a prvious experience.
    >
    > Trying to see how my responses connect or don't to those others.
    >
    > Roxio Videowave -- seems great at first, but as soon as you get any
    > significant amt of tape captured everything slows down. Has pretty good
    text
    > and effects. Not good for longer projects. Crashes some
    >
    > Sony Screenblast -the little brother of Vegas Video, has a slightly
    > different interface and approach than other pgms, seems fast.
    >
    > Ulead Video Studio 8 -- a bit of a learning curve, does some thing
    > differently, but seems to be stable (no crashes so far), and output
    control
    > is OK.
    >
    > Windows Movie Maker -- a junior partner to most of the above, but still
    easy
    > to work with and doesn't seem to crash. Have not done a longer project.
    > Seems less capable in terms of add ins, effects, titles, etc.
    >

    > These are very preliminary "opinions" after just a couple or three weeks
    of
    > messing (and I do mean messing) with these programs. A couple others I
    have
    > already deleted (PowerDirector just kept crashing on me)
    >
    > I'd be very excited to hear other opinions from other users of editing
    > software in this ballpark. What do you use and why do you use it, and why
    > do you prefer it to the other options available?
    >
    > Thanks in advance--

    I recommend Sony Screenblast Movie Studio (same as you've listed above).
    The have a feature comparison available on the website that you may find
    useful in your decision making (assuming that you haven't already seen it):

    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/Products/showproduct.asp?PID=856&FeatureID=7231

    Good luck! :-)

    Hal Lowe
    http://hals.vstoremarket.com (HaloweGraphics SuperStore)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures &
    background MP3s)
    http://1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (Best website host/great prices)

    "Jim" <mullets_web(spamgone)@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I've been looking at the 150 and under editors, trying them out, all but
    > > Pinnacle with which I have a prvious experience.
    > >
    > > Trying to see how my responses connect or don't to those others.
    >

    > I would spend the 150 on a new sealed legal copy of Adobe Premier 5.x on
    > Ebay.
    > One of the best. Some might claim the best.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=185&item=3685032783&rd=1
    > Super powerful and plug ins galore.

    I'd probably agree, and make sure you get the upgrades so you actually have
    5.1c (upgrades were offered free - if you can't find them on Adobe's site,
    email me)

    Premiere 5.1 is a pretty powerful program - and when I ran it under XP, it
    was also rather stable.

    "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in

    > I've been looking at the 150 and under editors, trying them out, all
    > but Pinnacle with which I have a prvious experience.
    >
    > Trying to see how my responses connect or don't to those others.
    >
    > Roxio Videowave -- seems great at first, but as soon as you get any
    > significant amt of tape captured everything slows down. Has pretty
    > good text and effects. Not good for longer projects. Crashes some
    >
    > Sony Screenblast -the little brother of Vegas Video, has a slightly
    > different interface and approach than other pgms, seems fast.
    >
    > Ulead Video Studio 8 -- a bit of a learning curve, does some thing
    > differently, but seems to be stable (no crashes so far), and output
    > control is OK.
    >
    > Windows Movie Maker -- a junior partner to most of the above, but
    > still easy to work with and doesn't seem to crash. Have not done a
    > longer project. Seems less capable in terms of add ins, effects,
    > titles, etc.
    >

    > These are very preliminary "opinions" after just a couple or three
    > weeks of messing (and I do mean messing) with these programs. A
    > couple others I have already deleted (PowerDirector just kept crashing
    > on me)
    >
    > I'd be very excited to hear other opinions from other users of editing
    > software in this ballpark. What do you use and why do you use it, and
    > why do you prefer it to the other options available?
    >
    > Thanks in advance--

    You forgot about Pure Motion EditSTudio 4.1. Check them out at
    www.puremotion.com. They are awesome. I used to use Premiere 6.5, but
    now use Edit Studio. Much easier to use.

    --
    Tim.

    "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
    neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 02:08:42 GMT, "Jim"
    <mullets_web(spamgone)@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I've been looking at the 150 and under editors, trying them out, all but
    >> Pinnacle with which I have a prvious experience.
    >>
    >> Trying to see how my responses connect or don't to those others.

    >I would spend the 150 on a new sealed legal copy of Adobe Premier 5.x on
    >Ebay. One of the best. Some might claim the best.

    Actually, if you've used a modern video editor, even a cheap one, I
    would claim that Adobe Premiere 5.x is step backward. Yes, there's
    likely to be more power there, after a fashion. But it's also got some
    horrible mis-features you wouldn't accept if you knew better. For one,
    this is kind of a dinosaur for the days when realtime rendering wasn't
    possible. So it insists on pre-rendering you whole timeline, any
    effects you do, etc. It's basically a one-track A/B editor with
    additional single tracks, weird concepts when compared to modern apps.
    Audio support it poor. Even video support is an issue -- it doesn't
    support DirectShow, so you can't edit DV Type 1 files, or even capture
    (via Adobe tools) anything from Firewire.

    Premiere 6 fixes some of this, Premiere Pro more, but it's still a
    decendent of the older versions: not intuitive in a modern setting,
    IMHO. They can only change things so much over time, or they'll annoy
    the main user base. Not a program for beginners. Sure, you'll find
    them here and on other video newsgroups, usually with some pirated
    version of Premiere, trying to solicit help on how to use it.

    I recommend something simpler to start with. After all, the best way
    to learn video editing (or for that matter, anything on the computer)
    is by actually doing it. You won't necessarily know what you're
    missing until you've honed your skill set to the point where you think
    of the features you need, and find them not there. So YOU+1_YEAR will
    make decision based on trial versions that are different than YOU now.
    Ultimately, you'll spend hundreds on video editing software if you get
    sophisticated. When you start simple and learn there, the efforts are
    directed toward producing actual results, not wading through a bog of
    application issues. Sadly, most advanced users aren't good teachers
    and forget these things.

    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=185&item=3685032783&rd=1
    >Super powerful and plug ins galore.

    Anyone with a $150 budget is highly unlikely to think about the extra
    expense of plug-ins, anytime soon.

    I would certainly recommend Sony's ScreenBlast, if you like it. It's
    powerful enough as-is, fully modern in all aspects, pretty low cost on
    the scale of those under $150 packages, and if you outgrow it, you
    have the upgrade to Vegas without much relearning.

    I'm not sure you can say the same about ULead's VideoStudio, maybe
    someone can update on this. The old version of VideoStudio was
    entirely unlike Media Studio Pro, and IMHO, had little to recommend
    it. If the current one is actually a shrunk-down MSP, then of course,
    the same things apply -- if you like it, you have an upgrade path.

    I tried VideoWave back at verions II and III, when it was owned by
    MGI. It was definitely a very basic app, capable enough, but with a
    pretty odd workflow that you have to unlearn if you move to a higher
    end package. And that IS their program -- no "pro" version.

    Dave Haynie | Chief Toady, Frog Pond Media Consulting
    dhaynie@jersey.net| Take Back Freedom! Bush no more in 2004!
    "Deathbed Vigil" now on DVD! See http://www.frogpondmedia.com

    Any experience with Cyberlink's PowerDirector? I am re-trying it tonight
    and it seems to be going smoothly so far, and it's quicker to work with,
    seems like. Was thinking of settling on it for a time.

    Money isn't a big issue, but I don't want to waste it. Premiere I had a
    version of a long time ago. I recently downloaded the 150 MB trial version
    and it look like way more trouble than it was worth for the kinds of simple
    things I'm doing and thinkig of doing.

    What, in the Windows setting, is analagous to iMovie? Would that be a
    reasonable way to approach the probelm? Or is iMovie way too basic compared
    to ULead's and Roxio's and Screenblast, etc?

    "Dave Haynie" <dhaynie@jersey.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > powerful enough as-is, fully modern in all aspects, pretty low cost on
    > the scale of those under $150 packages, and if you outgrow it, you
    > have the upgrade to Vegas without much relearning.
    >
    > I'm not sure you can say the same about ULead's VideoStudio, maybe
    > someone can update on this. The old version of VideoStudio was
    > entirely unlike Media Studio Pro, and IMHO, had little to recommend
    > it. If the current one is actually a shrunk-down MSP, then of course,
    > the same things apply -- if you like it, you have an upgrade path.
    >
    > I tried VideoWave back at verions II and III, when it was owned by
    > MGI. It was definitely a very basic app, capable enough, but with a
    > pretty odd workflow that you have to unlearn if you move to a higher
    > end package. And that IS their program -- no "pro" version.
    >
    > Dave Haynie | Chief Toady, Frog Pond Media Consulting

    "Tim V." <tsvemail-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9512A2EFF56BBvannamanNOSPAMswbell@151.164.30.94>...

    <snip>

    > You forgot about Pure Motion EditSTudio 4.1. Check them out at
    > www.puremotion.com. They are awesome. I used to use Premiere 6.5, but
    > now use Edit Studio. Much easier to use.

    I'll second EditStudio. I tried a lot of different software before
    finding Puremotion's program.

    I've been very impressed with the power and support.

    Also, www.debugmode.com just released a version of their FREE 2D/3D
    special effects tool that works as a plugin.

    Eric

Tuner Cards Video Editing Video Graphics