Poor audio quality using music track with WMM 2.1

Tags:
  • Video
  • Movies
  • Audio
  • Windows XP
July 2, 2005 9:28:02 PM

I'm an absolute beginner at video. I'm trying to make a decent movie from DV
footage (Canon Optura 50) and WMM 2.1 My first movie has an audio track made
of a music song encoded in mp3 (192 kbps) and no footage sound (silenced).
The outcome is saved in AVI-DV in order tu later burn a DVD. While the video
is great, sound is of poor quality and noticeably distorted (sort of poor
dinamics and reverberation). However, if I play the project in WMM sounds
great! I play the movie and the songtrack with WMP. Seems to me that there is
an audio encoding problem within WMM.

Could yo help me? Thank for your support and patience.

Best regards.
--
Amando Hernádnez
www.imagenlibre.com

More about : poor audio quality music track wmm

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 9:54:05 PM

MM doesn't like mp3's, use a wma/wmv/wav instead, should then work.
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"amando" <amando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm an absolute beginner at video. I'm trying to make a decent movie from
> DV
> footage (Canon Optura 50) and WMM 2.1 My first movie has an audio track
> made
> of a music song encoded in mp3 (192 kbps) and no footage sound (silenced).
> The outcome is saved in AVI-DV in order tu later burn a DVD. While the
> video
> is great, sound is of poor quality and noticeably distorted (sort of poor
> dinamics and reverberation). However, if I play the project in WMM sounds
> great! I play the movie and the songtrack with WMP. Seems to me that there
> is
> an audio encoding problem within WMM.
>
> Could yo help me? Thank for your support and patience.
>
> Best regards.
> --
> Amando Hernádnez
> www.imagenlibre.com
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 9:54:06 PM

Thanks, Graham, for your ansxer.

I did try wav and wma versions of the same soundtrack; the outcome is the
same. I also tried different, more compressed clip outputs, all yielding
worse video output (as expected) but far more better audio quality. The only
clip format that exhibits such poor audio quality is DV-AVI (PAL). I'm
running WXP home SP2, spanish version. My codec listing is as follows:

IMA ADPCM
MIcrosft ADPCM
MIcrosoft CCITT.G711
MIcrosoft GSM 6.10
DSP Group Truespeech
MSG723.acm
Windows Media Audio
Spiro Lab Telecom
Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3
Dvacm.acm
Indeo audio software
Conversor PCM de Microsoft

I'm really puzzled about this. Searching this forum and other Internet video
resources, I haven't found anything like this.

Best Regards.
--
Amando Hernádnez
www.imagenlibre.com

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> MM doesn't like mp3's, use a wma/wmv/wav instead, should then work.
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "amando" <amando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm an absolute beginner at video. I'm trying to make a decent movie from
> > DV
> > footage (Canon Optura 50) and WMM 2.1 My first movie has an audio track
> > made
> > of a music song encoded in mp3 (192 kbps) and no footage sound (silenced).
> > The outcome is saved in AVI-DV in order tu later burn a DVD. While the
> > video
> > is great, sound is of poor quality and noticeably distorted (sort of poor
> > dinamics and reverberation). However, if I play the project in WMM sounds
> > great! I play the movie and the songtrack with WMP. Seems to me that there
> > is
> > an audio encoding problem within WMM.
> >
> > Could yo help me? Thank for your support and patience.
> >
> > Best regards.
> > --
> > Amando Hernádnez
> > www.imagenlibre.com

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 9:54:07 PM

In order to show what the problem looks like, I have made an example clip
(just a few seconds) and saved in two different formats: compressed wmv and
AVI-DV. You can have a look at:

http://www.imagenlibre.com/video/Audio-problem.wmv
http://www.imagenlibre.com/video/Audio-problem-DV-PAL.a...

The first one has the soundtrack right. The second one (just a few seconds
due to server space constraints) has a defective soundtrack. Please, use
headphones yo appreciate sound differences.

The sound comes from a wma ripped from the original CD.

Thanks for trying to help. Best regards.
--
Amando Hernádnez
www.imagenlibre.com

"amando" wrote:

> Thanks, Graham, for your ansxer.
>
> I did try wav and wma versions of the same soundtrack; the outcome is the
> same. I also tried different, more compressed clip outputs, all yielding
> worse video output (as expected) but far more better audio quality. The only
> clip format that exhibits such poor audio quality is DV-AVI (PAL). I'm
> running WXP home SP2, spanish version. My codec listing is as follows:
>
> IMA ADPCM
> MIcrosft ADPCM
> MIcrosoft CCITT.G711
> MIcrosoft GSM 6.10
> DSP Group Truespeech
> MSG723.acm
> Windows Media Audio
> Spiro Lab Telecom
> Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3
> Dvacm.acm
> Indeo audio software
> Conversor PCM de Microsoft
>
> I'm really puzzled about this. Searching this forum and other Internet video
> resources, I haven't found anything like this.
>
> Best Regards.
> --
> Amando Hernádnez
> www.imagenlibre.com
>

> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
> > MM doesn't like mp3's, use a wma/wmv/wav instead, should then work.
> > Graham
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > www.simplydv.com
> >

> > "amando" <amando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm an absolute beginner at video. I'm trying to make a decent movie from
> > > DV
> > > footage (Canon Optura 50) and WMM 2.1 My first movie has an audio track
> > > made
> > > of a music song encoded in mp3 (192 kbps) and no footage sound (silenced).
> > > The outcome is saved in AVI-DV in order tu later burn a DVD. While the
> > > video
> > > is great, sound is of poor quality and noticeably distorted (sort of poor
> > > dinamics and reverberation). However, if I play the project in WMM sounds
> > > great! I play the movie and the songtrack with WMP. Seems to me that there
> > > is
> > > an audio encoding problem within WMM.
> > >
> > > Could yo help me? Thank for your support and patience.
> > >
> > > Best regards.
> > > --
> > > Amando Hernádnez
> > > www.imagenlibre.com

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:53:56 AM

It's hard to get it from the 3 seconds. I suspect it may be lack of pc
resources, not allowing the avi to save proerly. Do you have other apps
running which you can turn off etc, see
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/OptimiseMyPcFo...
which is also true for capture problems.

Graham

--

> In order to show what the problem looks like, I have made an example clip
> (just a few seconds) and saved in two different formats: compressed wmv
> and
> AVI-DV. You can have a look at:
>
> http://www.imagenlibre.com/video/Audio-problem.wmv
> http://www.imagenlibre.com/video/Audio-problem-DV-PAL.a...
>
> The first one has the soundtrack right. The second one (just a few seconds
> due to server space constraints) has a defective soundtrack. Please, use
> headphones yo appreciate sound differences.
>
> The sound comes from a wma ripped from the original CD.
>
> Thanks for trying to help. Best regards.
> --
> Amando Hernádnez
> www.imagenlibre.com
>

> "amando" wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Graham, for your ansxer.
>>
>> I did try wav and wma versions of the same soundtrack; the outcome is the
>> same. I also tried different, more compressed clip outputs, all yielding
>> worse video output (as expected) but far more better audio quality. The
>> only
>> clip format that exhibits such poor audio quality is DV-AVI (PAL). I'm
>> running WXP home SP2, spanish version. My codec listing is as follows:
>>
>> IMA ADPCM
>> MIcrosft ADPCM
>> MIcrosoft CCITT.G711
>> MIcrosoft GSM 6.10
>> DSP Group Truespeech
>> MSG723.acm
>> Windows Media Audio
>> Spiro Lab Telecom
>> Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3
>> Dvacm.acm
>> Indeo audio software
>> Conversor PCM de Microsoft
>>
>> I'm really puzzled about this. Searching this forum and other Internet
>> video
>> resources, I haven't found anything like this.
>>
>> Best Regards.
>> --
>> Amando Hernádnez
>> www.imagenlibre.com
>>

>> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>>
>> > MM doesn't like mp3's, use a wma/wmv/wav instead, should then work.
>> > Graham
>> >
>> > --
>> > Graham Hughes
>> > MVP Digital Media
>> > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> > www.dvds2treasure.com
>> > www.simplydv.com
>> >

>> > "amando" <amando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:53:57 AM

Thanks, Graham, for your answer.

Well, I don't think so (of course, one is never sure of that). My PC is CPU
idle before generating the clip. It has 1 GB memory, P4 3GHz HT processor and
defragmented SATA disk. That the outcome is consistent (same audio quality
all over the clip and on several clips) makes me belive that the problem lies
on software rather than hw resources.

Best regards.
--
Amando Hernádnez
www.imagenlibre.com

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> It's hard to get it from the 3 seconds. I suspect it may be lack of pc
> resources, not allowing the avi to save proerly. Do you have other apps
> running which you can turn off etc, see
> http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/OptimiseMyPcFo...
> which is also true for capture problems.
>
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "amando" <amando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In order to show what the problem looks like, I have made an example clip
> > (just a few seconds) and saved in two different formats: compressed wmv
> > and
> > AVI-DV. You can have a look at:
> >
> > http://www.imagenlibre.com/video/Audio-problem.wmv
> > http://www.imagenlibre.com/video/Audio-problem-DV-PAL.a...
> >
> > The first one has the soundtrack right. The second one (just a few seconds
> > due to server space constraints) has a defective soundtrack. Please, use
> > headphones yo appreciate sound differences.
> >
> > The sound comes from a wma ripped from the original CD.
> >
> > Thanks for trying to help. Best regards.
> > --
> > Amando Hernádnez
> > www.imagenlibre.com
> >

> > "amando" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks, Graham, for your ansxer.
> >>
> >> I did try wav and wma versions of the same soundtrack; the outcome is the
> >> same. I also tried different, more compressed clip outputs, all yielding
> >> worse video output (as expected) but far more better audio quality. The
> >> only
> >> clip format that exhibits such poor audio quality is DV-AVI (PAL). I'm
> >> running WXP home SP2, spanish version. My codec listing is as follows:
> >>
> >> IMA ADPCM
> >> MIcrosft ADPCM
> >> MIcrosoft CCITT.G711
> >> MIcrosoft GSM 6.10
> >> DSP Group Truespeech
> >> MSG723.acm
> >> Windows Media Audio
> >> Spiro Lab Telecom
> >> Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3
> >> Dvacm.acm
> >> Indeo audio software
> >> Conversor PCM de Microsoft
> >>
> >> I'm really puzzled about this. Searching this forum and other Internet
> >> video
> >> resources, I haven't found anything like this.
> >>
> >> Best Regards.
> >> --
> >> Amando Hernádnez
> >> www.imagenlibre.com

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:53:58 AM

Graham, I've visite your web page My Video Problems. Good content, clearly
laid out. Congrats!

Best regards
--
Amando Hernádnez
www.imagenlibre.com

You could try downloading a trial version of something like Ulead and see
how it fairs on producing an avi file. Thanks for the kind words.

Graham

--

news:D 404F531-C634-422B-8F86-D90709FFCBED@microsoft.com...

!