Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

I have lots of VHS home movies that I would like to convert to DVDs. I
would like suggestions or recommendations on both software and the hardware
box to use to convert the tapes from analog to digital. I have both
Firewire and USB 2.0 on my computer.

TIA
Elliot

Elliot wrote:

> I have lots of VHS home movies that I would like to convert to DVDs. I
> would like suggestions or recommendations on both software and the hardware
> box to use to convert the tapes from analog to digital. I have both
> Firewire and USB 2.0 on my computer.

Pinnacle Studio AV/DV seems a nice solution (for US$100,
it seems a good deal).

However, if you have a good DV camcorder with Firewire
output, you could pass the VHS to DV tape, and then pass
it to your computer through your Firewire input -- it's
more work, but you get better quality (I've been doing
that with the commercials I have on VHS tape), plus you
don't have to buy any additional hardware (you'll have
to buy some software, I think, as MPEG is royalty-based,
so you won't find anything free, AFAIK)

Carlos

Elliot wrote:

> I have lots of VHS home movies that I would like to convert to DVDs.
> I would like suggestions or recommendations on both software and the
> hardware box to use to convert the tapes from analog to digital. I
> have both Firewire and USB 2.0 on my computer.
>
> TIA
> Elliot

VirtualDub... excited? it's FREE!!!
--

if I haven't given a url with my answer, try typing the keywords into
google.com

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, "Elliot" <elliot.jolesch@att.net> wrote:
>I have lots of VHS home movies that I would like to convert to DVDs. I
>would like suggestions or recommendations on both software and the hardware
>box to use to convert the tapes from analog to digital. I have both
>Firewire and USB 2.0 on my computer.

When it is working (which it is not, as of 6-24-04 at 4:05 PM)
the best place to look for tutorials and software and hardware
reviews is http://www.videohelp.com/

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

"Elliot" <elliot.jolesch@att.net> wrote in message
> I have lots of VHS home movies that I would like to convert to DVDs. I
> would like suggestions or recommendations on both software and the
hardware
> box to use to convert the tapes from analog to digital. I have both
> Firewire and USB 2.0 on my computer.
>
> TIA
> Elliot

If you just want to make DVD versions of exactly what
you have on VHS, get a standalone DVD Recorder.

Luck;
Ken

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> "Elliot" <elliot.jolesch@att.net> wrote in message
>> I have lots of VHS home movies that I would like to convert to DVDs.
>> I would like suggestions or recommendations on both software and the
> hardware
>> box to use to convert the tapes from analog to digital. I have both
>> Firewire and USB 2.0 on my computer.
>>
>> TIA
>> Elliot
>>

> If you just want to make DVD versions of exactly what
> you have on VHS, get a standalone DVD Recorder.

No chance for editing, menu's or the such. How well do they
implement Mpg2 encoding? Are they configurable in that
regard?

--
Tim.

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Tim V." <tsvemail-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
>

> > "Elliot" <elliot.jolesch@att.net> wrote in message
> >> I have lots of VHS home movies that I would like to convert to DVDs.
> >> I would like suggestions or recommendations on both software and the
> > hardware
> >> box to use to convert the tapes from analog to digital. I have both
> >> Firewire and USB 2.0 on my computer.
> >>
> >> TIA
> >> Elliot
> >>

> > If you just want to make DVD versions of exactly what
> > you have on VHS, get a standalone DVD Recorder.
> >

> No chance for editing, menu's or the such.

Which is why I stipulated : " If you just want to make DVD
versions of exactly what you have on VHS". And do you
need a menu for a VHS Movie? The Recorder should still
supply navigation data/points, so you can "scrub" and FF.

> How well do they
> implement Mpg2 encoding? Are they configurable in that
> regard?
>
> Tim.

That would depend on the DVD Recorder, but I doubt they
allow anything like what those of us who capture to a PC are used
to. The image and audio quality should be quite good, certainly
enough to handle all that a VHS tape player can provide.