dark display of video. Can a LCD monitor improve this?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

I'm told that the video is darker when displayed on a computer monitor
compared to a television.
If I were to change from a CRT type monitor to a LCD monitor would the
video still be dark on the screen?

Regards Brian
16 answers Last reply
More about dark display video monitor improve this
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    "Brian" wrote ...
    > I'm told that the video is darker when displayed on a
    > computer monitor compared to a television.
    > If I were to change from a CRT type monitor to a LCD
    > monitor would the video still be dark on the screen?

    If it uses the same gamma curve, (likely IME) yes.
    Why do you ask? Perhaps that is not the right question.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

    >"Brian" wrote ...
    >> I'm told that the video is darker when displayed on a
    >> computer monitor compared to a television.
    >> If I were to change from a CRT type monitor to a LCD
    >> monitor would the video still be dark on the screen?
    >
    >If it uses the same gamma curve, (likely IME) yes.
    >Why do you ask? Perhaps that is not the right question.

    I'm asking as I'm thinking of buying a LCD monitor to replace my old
    CRT monitor. If the brightness of the picture improves then it may be
    worth the extra money for a LCD monitor..

    Regards Brian
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    > I'm asking as I'm thinking of buying a LCD monitor to replace my old
    > CRT monitor. If the brightness of the picture improves then it may be
    > worth the extra money for a LCD monitor..
    >
    > Regards Brian

    Brian,
    I just did what you want to, when my LCD monitor arrives and I hook it up,
    I'll let you know
    my opinion. I have read online about how whites are generally brighter on
    lcd displays over crt.
    But it wasn't listed as a good thing for graphic artists, something about it
    being too bright.
    I am pretty sure it will do fine enough for our purposes. :)

    Good Luck,
    AnthonyR
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

    >I'm asking as I'm thinking of buying a LCD monitor to replace my old
    >CRT monitor. If the brightness of the picture improves then it may be
    >worth the extra money for a LCD monitor..

    Your video card's drivers should have settings for video overlay.
    Adjusting those might fix the problem on your CRT monitor.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    > "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
    >
    > >"Brian" wrote ...
    > >> I'm told that the video is darker when displayed on a
    > >> computer monitor compared to a television.
    > >> If I were to change from a CRT type monitor to a LCD
    > >> monitor would the video still be dark on the screen?
    > >
    > >If it uses the same gamma curve, (likely IME) yes.
    > >Why do you ask? Perhaps that is not the right question.
    > >
    > I'm asking as I'm thinking of buying a LCD monitor to replace my old
    > CRT monitor. If the brightness of the picture improves then it may be
    > worth the extra money for a LCD monitor..

    When you say "video" are you talking about computer-
    generated display, or actual video as in 25FPS television
    signals?
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    oh you just want to justify the cost of getting a slick, thin screen. Well
    go on, indulge, happiness is the only excuse you need.

    Seriously, a do a bit of editing and have a dual screen card, recently I
    replaced one of them with an LCD monitor.

    LCD monitors change depending on what angle your looking at it - so you need
    to be front and centre to get a good image. Great for personal use, not so
    hot for presentations.

    The contrast is very good - great for reading. Whats not so good is
    dithering isn't as effective. An image thats stretched to fit the screen
    that looks fine on a CRT display will look blocky on my display. This will
    be something to get used to, especially with low res video.

    It makes moving the computer a breeze, and there's so many more places you
    get use it.

    If you do any recording, an LCD screen has far less interference with guitar
    pickups.

    "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    > "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
    >
    > >"Brian" wrote ...
    > >> I'm told that the video is darker when displayed on a
    > >> computer monitor compared to a television.
    > >> If I were to change from a CRT type monitor to a LCD
    > >> monitor would the video still be dark on the screen?
    > >
    > >If it uses the same gamma curve, (likely IME) yes.
    > >Why do you ask? Perhaps that is not the right question.
    > >
    > I'm asking as I'm thinking of buying a LCD monitor to replace my old
    > CRT monitor. If the brightness of the picture improves then it may be
    > worth the extra money for a LCD monitor..
    >
    > Regards Brian
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    > I'm told that the video is darker when displayed on a computer monitor
    > compared to a television.
    > If I were to change from a CRT type monitor to a LCD monitor would the
    > video still be dark on the screen?

    Yes, as well as washed out and faded with hardly any contrast. The ONLY
    advantage an LCD has over a CRT is form factor. It suffers dramatically in
    all other comparisons.

    > Regards Brian
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    "Colon Terminus" <Colon_Terminus@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> I'm told that the video is darker when displayed on a computer monitor
    >> compared to a television.
    >> If I were to change from a CRT type monitor to a LCD monitor would the
    >> video still be dark on the screen?
    >
    >Yes, as well as washed out and faded with hardly any contrast. The ONLY
    >advantage an LCD has over a CRT is form factor. It suffers dramatically in
    >all other comparisons.
    >

    >> Regards Brian

    I don't understand what you mean by "form factor".

    Regards Brian

  9. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:04:39 +1200, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

    >"Colon Terminus" <Colon_Terminus@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    >>> I'm told that the video is darker when displayed on a computer monitor
    >>> compared to a television.
    >>> If I were to change from a CRT type monitor to a LCD monitor would the
    >>> video still be dark on the screen?
    >>
    >>Yes, as well as washed out and faded with hardly any contrast. The ONLY
    >>advantage an LCD has over a CRT is form factor. It suffers dramatically in
    >>all other comparisons.
    >>

    >>> Regards Brian
    >
    >I don't understand what you mean by "form factor".
    >
    >Regards Brian

    Form factor refers to the physical characteristics, such as size,
    shape, and weight.

    --
    Bill
  10. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    "Brian" wrote...
    > I don't understand what you mean by "form factor".

    "form factor: The physical size and shape of a device."

    Google is your friend.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

    >"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Brian" wrote ...
    >> >
    >> >If it uses the same gamma curve, (likely IME) yes.
    >> >Why do you ask? Perhaps that is not the right question.
    >> >
    >> I'm asking as I'm thinking of buying a LCD monitor to replace my old
    >> CRT monitor. If the brightness of the picture improves then it may be
    >> worth the extra money for a LCD monitor..
    >
    >When you say "video" are you talking about computer-
    >generated display, or actual video as in 25FPS television
    >signals?

    I'm talking about displaying a video (such as an mpeg or avi file)
    using a video editor program.

    Regards Brian
  12. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    "Terry" <replytothegroupzzz@zzz.com> wrote:

    >oh you just want to justify the cost of getting a slick, thin screen. Well
    >go on, indulge, happiness is the only excuse you need.
    >
    >Seriously, a do a bit of editing and have a dual screen card, recently I
    >replaced one of them with an LCD monitor.
    >
    >LCD monitors change depending on what angle your looking at it - so you need
    >to be front and centre to get a good image. Great for personal use, not so
    >hot for presentations.
    >
    >The contrast is very good - great for reading. Whats not so good is
    >dithering isn't as effective. An image thats stretched to fit the screen
    >that looks fine on a CRT display will look blocky on my display. This will
    >be something to get used to, especially with low res video.
    >
    >It makes moving the computer a breeze, and there's so many more places you
    >get use it.

    Thanks Terry.
    But what I'd like to know is does the the LCD monitor display the
    video as a dark picture?

    Regards Brian
    >If you do any recording, an LCD screen has far less interference with guitar
    >pickups.
    >
    >"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Brian" wrote ...
    >> >
    >> >If it uses the same gamma curve, (likely IME) yes.
    >> >Why do you ask? Perhaps that is not the right question.
    >> >
    >> I'm asking as I'm thinking of buying a LCD monitor to replace my old
    >> CRT monitor. If the brightness of the picture improves then it may be
    >> worth the extra money for a LCD monitor..
    >>
    >> Regards Brian

  13. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    Yes its still a dark picture. What you may be noticing is devices that
    output for television can add 'setup' which is they brighten the blacks and
    dim the whites. (So some pictures will appear brighter on your screen as
    well.) Screens are better with that extra contrast as it makes it easier to
    see details and read.

    Bear in mind most graphic cards come with software controls to adjust this -
    so it may be you need a brand of card with a better control panel.

    LCD's have terrific contrast. This may strike someone as being brighter
    because they notice things they won't see on a crt. For example a white dot
    on a black background on a crt may be seen as a grey blob. But on the
    flipside, what is a blurr on a tv often becomes a horrific mess of grey
    pixels on a LCD. So if its a movie watching experience your after perhaps a
    larger crt or a newer graphics card is what you really need. But if you
    need to observe minute detail, perhaps for a study, then a LCD would be a
    better choice.

    I agree as one poster put it, the form factor is its major benefit. If it
    was just as bulky as a regular screen there would be no reason to purchase
    one. Buts its thin and light and can go anywhere.... and thats soooooooo
    coooooooool.

    > Thanks Terry.
    > But what I'd like to know is does the the LCD monitor display the
    > video as a dark picture?
    >
    > Regards Brian
  14. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    "Terry" wrote ...
    > Yes its still a dark picture. What you may be noticing is devices that
    > output for television can add 'setup' which is they brighten the blacks
    and
    > dim the whites. (So some pictures will appear brighter on your screen as
    > well.) Screens are better with that extra contrast as it makes it easier
    > see details and read.

    It is more the dramatic difference in gamma curve in TV vs computer
    displays that accounts for why video looks "dark". Same with CRT or
    LCD.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    I have a KOGI LCD monitor and it's definitely darker than a monitor.
    Just not enough contrast ratio on my particular monitor.
    If you get an LCD, make sure it has a very high contrast ratio.

    I can watch a movie on my LCD and some are so dark, I can't tell what's
    going on, whereas it looks fine on the TV.

    "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    > I'm told that the video is darker when displayed on a computer monitor
    > compared to a television.
    > If I were to change from a CRT type monitor to a LCD monitor would the
    > video still be dark on the screen?
    >
    > Regards Brian
  16. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    "Lamarr" wrote ...
    > I have a KOGI LCD monitor and it's definitely darker than
    > a monitor. Just not enough contrast ratio on my particular monitor.
    > If you get an LCD, make sure it has a very high contrast ratio.
    >
    > I can watch a movie on my LCD and some are so dark, I can't
    > tell what's going on, whereas it looks fine on the TV.

    Computer displays have a very different gamma curve than
    video displays whether you are talking about CRT or LCD.
    Video will always look "dark" on a computer display unless
    you apply appropriate gamma correction.

Tuner Cards Video LCD Monitor Graphics