Premiere 6.5 or Vegas 4.0?

Jim

Opinions Please.

I have the choice of putting Vegas 4.0 or Premiere 6.5 on my laptop. I know
Vegas 5 and PPro rock, but that is all I have access to.

I will be using this 85% of the time for analog to DV capture to an external
firewire drive thru a Pyro A/V Link, then moving the files to a VT3 station
for editing.
The other 15% would be for basic cut/dissolve editing.

I dig Sony and Adobe products so I am on the fence.

So, I would appreciate and enjoy any editing experience stories on either.

Thank You and Thank You
Jim

Jim,
I have been working with Vegas 4/5 for a year now and have done
several projects. I absolutely recommend that program. It is very fast,
powerful,
reliable and easy to use. I have never managed to crash Vegas (which is a
continuing issue with many other NLE programs).
However I have no experience with Premiere Pro.
I did test Premiere 6.5 before I decided to go for Vegas. Actually Premiere
6.5 is
no match for Vegas. Much more clumsy to use and not nearly as stable.
Why not download a free trial version of Vegas and see for yourself ?
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/download/step1.asp?catid=1

Martin

> I have the choice of putting Vegas 4.0 or Premiere 6.5 on my laptop. I
know
> Vegas 5 and PPro rock, but that is all I have access to.

Vegas 4. Runs well on laptops, esp. those with lower specifications (if
you have 3.0, it'll run even on 233Mhz notebooks with 64MB of RAM quite
well), solid, works well, and does everything well. One of those very
few programs you can use 90% of the features w/o cracking open the help
or manual, and happily, comes with a solid manual that answers your
questions quick and easy.

Premiere, well, does the same thing, but the learning curve is very
high, and when something goes wrong, you're often left clueless for
quite some time until you've found the answer.

Vegas, cuz the interface is better, audio capabilites are easier and much
better.
You can work quicker in Vegas just because of the interface's design.