WMM driving me mad!

July 5, 2005 2:22:04 AM

I havn't used teh program in a while, but I figured its just about the same
as it was before I reformated with XP SP2... But anyways I go to save the
project and all is fine, but when i go to save it as a movie file.. it tells
me it will take 21MB of space and I have 80+GB of free space to save on, so I
figure all is good.. but then when I press next, i get an error message
stating:

"Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specific location. Verify
that the original source files used in your movie are still available, that
the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disk
space available, and then try again."

Now its OBVIOUS i have enuff disk space, i have tried savign in multiple
locations, on both of my hard drives, different folders even my desktop, none
of which work. And unless I uploaded the file wrong, which I uploaded
multiple times one by dragging into teh program, once but using teh menu and
once by using teh shortcut buttons, but nothing has worked.

Maybe it has sumthing to do with the file being over 2 gigs? and it wants to
save as 29MBs... I don't know, please help... or is there a way to go back to
the old WMM? I liked it better...

More about : wmm driving mad

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:02:07 AM

I don't think it's a hard drive issue. I am having the exact same problem you
are having, except the file I am trying to make is only 4 MB.

If anyone has any tips to help solve this problem, it would be much
appreciated.

"Heever" wrote:

> I havn't used teh program in a while, but I figured its just about the same
> as it was before I reformated with XP SP2... But anyways I go to save the
> project and all is fine, but when i go to save it as a movie file.. it tells
> me it will take 21MB of space and I have 80+GB of free space to save on, so I
> figure all is good.. but then when I press next, i get an error message
> stating:
>
> "Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specific location. Verify
> that the original source files used in your movie are still available, that
> the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disk
> space available, and then try again."
>
> Now its OBVIOUS i have enuff disk space, i have tried savign in multiple
> locations, on both of my hard drives, different folders even my desktop, none
> of which work. And unless I uploaded the file wrong, which I uploaded
> multiple times one by dragging into teh program, once but using teh menu and
> once by using teh shortcut buttons, but nothing has worked.
>
> Maybe it has sumthing to do with the file being over 2 gigs? and it wants to
> save as 29MBs... I don't know, please help... or is there a way to go back to
> the old WMM? I liked it better...
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:39:24 PM

Did you defrag the hard drive(s) before you tried saving?

Other useful tips can be found at PapaJohn's website at www.papajohn.org
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Heever" <Heever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I havn't used teh program in a while, but I figured its just about the same
> as it was before I reformated with XP SP2... But anyways I go to save the
> project and all is fine, but when i go to save it as a movie file.. it
> tells
> me it will take 21MB of space and I have 80+GB of free space to save on,
> so I
> figure all is good.. but then when I press next, i get an error message
> stating:
>
> "Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specific location.
> Verify
> that the original source files used in your movie are still available,
> that
> the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disk
> space available, and then try again."
>
> Now its OBVIOUS i have enuff disk space, i have tried savign in multiple
> locations, on both of my hard drives, different folders even my desktop,
> none
> of which work. And unless I uploaded the file wrong, which I uploaded
> multiple times one by dragging into teh program, once but using teh menu
> and
> once by using teh shortcut buttons, but nothing has worked.
>
> Maybe it has sumthing to do with the file being over 2 gigs? and it wants
> save as 29MBs... I don't know, please help... or is there a way to go back
> the old WMM? I liked it better...
July 5, 2005 3:48:03 PM

I'm defraging my C drive now, but my D drive doesnt need it, so it woudl make
no sence as to why I cant save onto my D drive. As well I've tried saving
onto a CD-RW, but no luck their either... we'll see after my C drive finishes
defraging...

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Did you defrag the hard drive(s) before you tried saving?
>
> Other useful tips can be found at PapaJohn's website at www.papajohn.org
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Heever" <Heever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I havn't used teh program in a while, but I figured its just about the same
> > as it was before I reformated with XP SP2... But anyways I go to save the
> > project and all is fine, but when i go to save it as a movie file.. it
> > tells
> > me it will take 21MB of space and I have 80+GB of free space to save on,
> > so I
> > figure all is good.. but then when I press next, i get an error message
> > stating:
> >
> > "Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specific location.
> > Verify
> > that the original source files used in your movie are still available,
> > that
> > the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disk
> > space available, and then try again."
> >
> > Now its OBVIOUS i have enuff disk space, i have tried savign in multiple
> > locations, on both of my hard drives, different folders even my desktop,
> > none
> > of which work. And unless I uploaded the file wrong, which I uploaded
> > multiple times one by dragging into teh program, once but using teh menu
> > and
> > once by using teh shortcut buttons, but nothing has worked.
> >
> > Maybe it has sumthing to do with the file being over 2 gigs? and it wants
> > save as 29MBs... I don't know, please help... or is there a way to go back
> > the old WMM? I liked it better...

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:26:49 PM

Don't forget you need space on the C: drive as well... or wherever you have
told Windows Movie Maker to keep its temporary files (from the toolbar in
WMM, Tools, Options)
--

> I'm defraging my C drive now, but my D drive doesnt need it, so it woudl
> make
> no sence as to why I cant save onto my D drive. As well I've tried saving
> onto a CD-RW, but no luck their either... we'll see after my C drive
> finishes
> defraging...
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Did you defrag the hard drive(s) before you tried saving?
>>
>> Other useful tips can be found at PapaJohn's website at www.papajohn.org
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Heever" <Heever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I havn't used teh program in a while, but I figured its just about the
>> >same
>> > as it was before I reformated with XP SP2... But anyways I go to save
>> > the
>> > project and all is fine, but when i go to save it as a movie file.. it
>> > tells
>> > me it will take 21MB of space and I have 80+GB of free space to save
>> > on,
>> > so I
>> > figure all is good.. but then when I press next, i get an error message
>> > stating:
>> >
>> > "Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specific location.
>> > Verify
>> > that the original source files used in your movie are still available,
>> > that
>> > the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free
>> > disk
>> > space available, and then try again."
>> >
>> > Now its OBVIOUS i have enuff disk space, i have tried savign in
>> > multiple
>> > locations, on both of my hard drives, different folders even my
>> > desktop,
>> > none
>> > of which work. And unless I uploaded the file wrong, which I uploaded
>> > multiple times one by dragging into teh program, once but using teh
>> > menu
>> > and
>> > once by using teh shortcut buttons, but nothing has worked.
>> >
>> > Maybe it has sumthing to do with the file being over 2 gigs? and it
>> > wants
>> > save as 29MBs... I don't know, please help... or is there a way to go
>> > back
>> > the old WMM? I liked it better...

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:00:01 PM

Defrag didnt help, I tried switching teh place to where my temp files go, and
either it said the files cannot be placed there or sumthign alone those
lines, or it didnt help... I even tried switchign teh original file to my
bigger hardrive but that didnt help...

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Don't forget you need space on the C: drive as well... or wherever you have
> told Windows Movie Maker to keep its temporary files (from the toolbar in
> WMM, Tools, Options)
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Heever" <Heever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm defraging my C drive now, but my D drive doesnt need it, so it woudl
> > make
> > no sence as to why I cant save onto my D drive. As well I've tried saving
> > onto a CD-RW, but no luck their either... we'll see after my C drive
> > finishes
> > defraging...
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you defrag the hard drive(s) before you tried saving?
> >>
> >> Other useful tips can be found at PapaJohn's website at www.papajohn.org
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>

> >> "Heever" <Heever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:14:39 PM

Try running a Disk Cleanup and ensuring all your Temporary Files are cleaned
up.
--

> Defrag didnt help, I tried switching teh place to where my temp files go,
> and
> either it said the files cannot be placed there or sumthign alone those
> lines, or it didnt help... I even tried switchign teh original file to my
> bigger hardrive but that didnt help...
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Don't forget you need space on the C: drive as well... or wherever you
>> have
>> told Windows Movie Maker to keep its temporary files (from the toolbar in
>> WMM, Tools, Options)
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Heever" <Heever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm defraging my C drive now, but my D drive doesnt need it, so it
>> > woudl
>> > make
>> > no sence as to why I cant save onto my D drive. As well I've tried
>> > saving
>> > onto a CD-RW, but no luck their either... we'll see after my C drive
>> > finishes
>> > defraging...

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:51:02 PM

Nope... doesn't seem to make a difference:S

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Try running a Disk Cleanup and ensuring all your Temporary Files are cleaned
> up.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Heever" <Heever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Defrag didnt help, I tried switching teh place to where my temp files go,
> > and
> > either it said the files cannot be placed there or sumthign alone those
> > lines, or it didnt help... I even tried switchign teh original file to my
> > bigger hardrive but that didnt help...
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Don't forget you need space on the C: drive as well... or wherever you
> >> have
> >> told Windows Movie Maker to keep its temporary files (from the toolbar in
> >> WMM, Tools, Options)
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>

> >> "Heever" <Heever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 2:26:13 PM

Did you go through all the solutions at PapaJohn's website?
--

!