Can't frameserve to TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress from VirtualDub

For reasons yet unknown to me I cannot frameserve my processed avi's
from VirtualDub into TMPGEnc 3.0 TMPGEnc seems to accept VD's *.vdr
signpost files but when it comes to the actual encoding stage I get
the message 'File is not supported (error code 0x80048003)'
And yes, I did install VD's handler files for frameserving support.
Older versions of TMPGEnc Plus like v 2.59 do accept and process *.vdr
files without any problem so I guess there's something inside TMPGEnc
3.0 refusing to cope with VirtualDub's (1.5.10) frameclient.
FYI: I'm running WinXP Pro.

Peter van der Sluis
Pijnacker, The Netherlands
mailto:screen66@xs4alldotnl
change 66 for 55
change dot for .

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:43:02 +0200, coolmercy
<send_mail_to_link@bottom.nl> wrote:

>For reasons yet unknown to me I cannot frameserve my processed avi's
>from VirtualDub into TMPGEnc 3.0 TMPGEnc seems to accept VD's *.vdr
>signpost files but when it comes to the actual encoding stage I get
>the message 'File is not supported (error code 0x80048003)'

That problem has been reported in the videohelp forum.
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225240

I quote:

erratic wrote:

> | While TMPGEnc Plus accepts frameserving, TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress does not.
> | Writing to Pegasys support, here is their reply:

I've had pretty good luck getting non-frameserving-aware applications to
work with the combination of ReadAVS
http://video.mmsoft.cz/frameserver.htm
and VFAPIConv
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/vfapi.html
(VFAPI Converter creates the a dummy AVI, and ReadAVS allows VFAPI
Converter to open VDR files)

It's an extra step to create the dummy AVI, but I have yet to come
across a program that wouldn't read it.

-WD

Try using a .AVI extension on your frameserved
content instead of .VDR. Just rename it when
the dialog pops up.

..VDR NEVER worked with Ligos' MPEG encoders,
so I've always used an .AVI extension when frameserving.

But, glad to know about the lame-ass stuff they put
into the new version to discourage frameserving...
because of this, I will NEVER upgrade TMPGenc
ever again, as I frameserve from VD to create
archives of pipeline inspection video on an almost
daily basis.

"coolmercy" <send_mail_to_link@bottom.nl> wrote in message
> For reasons yet unknown to me I cannot frameserve my processed avi's
> from VirtualDub into TMPGEnc 3.0 TMPGEnc seems to accept VD's *.vdr
> signpost files but when it comes to the actual encoding stage I get
> the message 'File is not supported (error code 0x80048003)'
> And yes, I did install VD's handler files for frameserving support.
> Older versions of TMPGEnc Plus like v 2.59 do accept and process *.vdr
> files without any problem so I guess there's something inside TMPGEnc
> 3.0 refusing to cope with VirtualDub's (1.5.10) frameclient.
> FYI: I'm running WinXP Pro.
>
> Peter van der Sluis
> Pijnacker, The Netherlands
> mailto:screen66@xs4alldotnl
> change 66 for 55
> change dot for .

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:31:21 GMT, Will Dormann
<wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>erratic wrote:
>
>> | While TMPGEnc Plus accepts frameserving, TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress does not.
>> | Writing to Pegasys support, here is their reply:
>
>I've had pretty good luck getting non-frameserving-aware applications to
>work with the combination of ReadAVS
>http://video.mmsoft.cz/frameserver.htm
>and VFAPIConv
>http://www.divx-digest.com/software/vfapi.html
>(VFAPI Converter creates the a dummy AVI, and ReadAVS allows VFAPI
>Converter to open VDR files)
>
>It's an extra step to create the dummy AVI, but I have yet to come
>across a program that wouldn't read it.

OK, thanx.
'though I do not entirely understand Pegasys' policies to disencourage
frameserving with their new product while their old apps worked so
well, with VirtualDub anyway, I'll down the mentioned apps and see if
I can get it working that way. It's going to save me quite a bit of
time and diskspace...

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 19:05:34 -0700, "V Green" <vancegrn@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>Try using a .AVI extension on your frameserved
>content instead of .VDR. Just rename it when
>the dialog pops up.

One of the first things I tried, but didn't work...

Peter van der Sluis
Pijnacker, The Netherlands

mailto:screen66@xs4alldotnl
change 66 for 55
change dot for .

Hallo Peter,

Ik ga even over op het Nederlands. Ik heb dezelfde problemen als jij.
Helas is mijn Engels niet zo goed, zodat ik de reacties niet goed begrijp.
Zou jij mij kunnen aangeven of het nu wel of niet mogelijk is met Tmpgenc.
Express te frameserve? Ook als ik een reeds met VirtuelDub ondertitelde
AVI wil omzetten met Express krijg ik een foutmelding. Met andere woorden
het lukt mij maar niet een AVI met Express te converteren. Als ik weer
terug ga naar Tmpgenc Plus. dan lukt het wel maar deze doet er dan meer
dan 24 uur over. Overigens krijg ik bij Tmpgenc plus wel steeds vaker de
melding dat "unsupported".

Misschien kun jij mij verder helpen
Krammie

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 03:10:29 -0400, "Krammie" <krammie49@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Zou jij mij kunnen aangeven of het nu wel of niet mogelijk is met Tmpgenc.
>Express te frameserve?

For Dutch questions try the newsgroup <news:nl.hobby.video>.

Translation of the question:
Is it possible to frameserve to TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress?

(I can't answer that question because I haven't used
TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress yet.)

Here is a workaround that is OK if you have TNPGEnc 2.5 (I have the Plus
version, I can not assure that it works with the trial version...)
Set up a frameserver based encoding session as usually. In the last frame
of the project wizard, make sure that "Start encoding immediately" is not
ticked. Chose "File" and "Save Project". Save as Movie.tpr, after this you
can close TMPGEnc 2.5
Open TMPGEnc Express, Chose Movie.tpr as the input file, set up the
session and encode. Good Luck!!!!