Something faster than Pinnacle Studio 9.1.2???

Hello,

I'm new to DVD creation. I bought a sony digital camera and Pinnacle
Studio 9 and started DVD creation. I must say that the quality of the
final product is very good, when it works...

Pinnacle Studio 9 does everything from capturing to editing and
finally, film making. However, it is extremely slow!

I have a 1.3 GHZ Duron with 512 megs of RAM. I don't care if the mpeg
creation is slow. But the editing is a real pain! I often have to sit
back and watch TV because I changed a small thing in a project of 30
minutes. It can take several minutes for a toolbox to appear after I
pressed a button with the mouse.

I would like to know if there is a better software or combination of
software for the various steps of DVD creation from digital camera
output. I would also want to know if there is something more reliable
since pinnacle have already broken a few of my DVD.

Thank you,

Carl
12 answers Last reply
More about something faster pinnacle studio

    >I have a 1.3 GHZ Duron with 512 megs of RAM. I don't care if the mpeg
    >creation is slow.

    ################
    But what is your graphics card. It might be your computer. it's not really that
    powerful. BG

    All Hail Tetsuo (you are one of the few . . . ) --

    Mush Mush.

    Suggest you read threads on "Cheap video editing software" and "I need
    suggestions to replace Pinnacle Studio 9"

    Sony has an $82-$99 dollar product that is essentially Vegas Video Lite --
    it's called Sony Screenblast and it's pretty quick and useful. I also kind
    of like Cyberlink's PowerDirector which is reviewed here
    http://www.video-editing-software-review.com/index.html. Roxio's Videowave
    gets overwhelmed pretty easily, but otherwise is fine. ULead's entry level
    product is pretty fair, too.

    Other's have other favorites. I find almost all of the up-to-date entry
    level products much better than they were a few years ago, with the possible
    exception of Pinnacle, which everyonee seems to have a lot of trouble with.

    "Tetsuo" <my_name_is_tetsuo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm new to DVD creation. I bought a sony digital camera and Pinnacle
    > Studio 9 and started DVD creation. I must say that the quality of the
    > final product is very good, when it works...
    >
    > Pinnacle Studio 9 does everything from capturing to editing and
    > finally, film making. However, it is extremely slow!
    >
    > I have a 1.3 GHZ Duron with 512 megs of RAM. I don't care if the mpeg
    > creation is slow. But the editing is a real pain! I often have to sit
    > back and watch TV because I changed a small thing in a project of 30
    > minutes. It can take several minutes for a toolbox to appear after I
    > pressed a button with the mouse.
    >
    > I would like to know if there is a better software or combination of
    > software for the various steps of DVD creation from digital camera
    > output. I would also want to know if there is something more reliable
    > since pinnacle have already broken a few of my DVD.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Carl

    > >I have a 1.3 GHZ Duron with 512 megs of RAM. I don't care if the mpeg
    > >creation is slow.
    >
    > ################
    > But what is your graphics card. It might be your computer. it's not really that
    > powerful. BG

    I only have an onboard S3 graphics ProSavageDDR.

    I didn't know that the graphic card could affect the rendering process
    and the editing time.

    Do you have suggestion of good graphic card for video editing? I'm
    still confused with all these topics...

    Thanks

    Carl

    If you want a very good NLE software try Vegas Video. It also works
    much faster than Studio 9 and uses less computer resources.
    However Vegas has its price.
    On the low-cost end I would recommend Magix Video DeLuxe 2004
    which is even cheaper than Studio 9 and much better. Don't know if
    it is actually faster.
    Martin

    Tetsuo wrote:
    >>> I have a 1.3 GHZ Duron with 512 megs of RAM. I don't care if the
    >>> mpeg creation is slow.
    >>
    >> ################
    >> But what is your graphics card. It might be your computer. it's not
    >> really that powerful. BG
    >
    > I only have an onboard S3 graphics ProSavageDDR.
    >
    > I didn't know that the graphic card could affect the rendering process
    > and the editing time.
    > Do you have suggestion of good graphic card for video editing? I'm
    > still confused with all these topics...
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Carl

    Ignore the suggestion. Graphics cards have little effect on video editing
    performance. CPU speed is the biggest issue followed by having your OS and
    your video clips on totally separate drives. Browse
    http://www.videoguys.com/ for a lot of tips on how to set up an NLE
    properly.

    Mike

    > It can take several minutes for a toolbox to
    > appear after I pressed a button with the mouse.

    Sounds like you have a corrupted install. Try uninstalling Studio, run
    REGDELETE (get it from the Pinnacle website), make sure you have the
    latest patch, then reinstall Studio and then the patch.

    If it is still slow after that, you can either wait until they fix it,
    or drop back to an earlier patch. I think StudioPatch9_0_8_9 was the
    last one that behaved normally.

    Thanks for all the suggestions.

    While searching the web, I came up with an interesting software
    combination. I would still use Pinnacle for avi capturing since this
    step goes very well actually. Then, I would use TMPGEnc to create the
    mpeg2 files and finally use DVD-lab for the authoring part.

    What to you think of this solution?

    Would there be any problem or restriction with this configuration?

    Bye

    Carl

    my_name_is_tetsuo@hotmail.com (Tetsuo) wrote:

    >Thanks for all the suggestions.
    >
    >While searching the web, I came up with an interesting software
    >combination. I would still use Pinnacle for avi capturing since this
    >step goes very well actually. Then, I would use TMPGEnc to create the
    >mpeg2 files and finally use DVD-lab for the authoring part.
    >
    >What to you think of this solution?
    >
    >Would there be any problem or restriction with this configuration?
    >
    >Bye
    >
    >Carl

    Exploring different ideas is a good way to find solutions.
    In a video support group (not this newsgroup) I read that many people
    mixed different software to get the job done.

    Regards Brian

    OK, it's more complex than I tought...

    I realize now that pinnacle was doing a lot of things:

    Capture
    Edition
    MPEG2 export
    DVD author
    DVD burning

    So now, I decided to use pinnacle for capturing, DVD-lab for DVD
    authoring and Nero for DVD burning.

    TMPGEnc does a good job to convert av to mpeg2. But I need a software
    to create transition and mixing from the mpeg2 files without
    re-encoding them at the end. Then, I can put the mpeg2 files with
    transition and everything in DVD-lab.

    Maybe what I ask is impossible and I need a software that mix
    everything before encoding to mpeg2 and I know that TMPGEnc can't do
    that.

    I'm thinking of trying Adobe Premiere and Ulead VideoStudio for this
    part. Any suggestion or comments about my choices?

    Bye

    Carl

    On 1 Jul 2004 07:49:02 -0700, my_name_is_tetsuo@hotmail.com (Tetsuo)
    wrote:

    >OK, it's more complex than I tought...
    >
    >I realize now that pinnacle was doing a lot of things:
    >
    >Capture
    >Edition
    >MPEG2 export
    >DVD author
    >DVD burning
    >
    >So now, I decided to use pinnacle for capturing, DVD-lab for DVD
    >authoring and Nero for DVD burning.
    >
    >TMPGEnc does a good job to convert av to mpeg2. But I need a software
    >to create transition and mixing from the mpeg2 files without
    >re-encoding them at the end. Then, I can put the mpeg2 files with
    >transition and everything in DVD-lab.
    >
    >Maybe what I ask is impossible and I need a software that mix
    >everything before encoding to mpeg2 and I know that TMPGEnc can't do
    >that.
    >
    >I'm thinking of trying Adobe Premiere and Ulead VideoStudio for this
    >part. Any suggestion or comments about my choices?

    Maybe reinstalling S9 will help. It's very important that you
    carefully deinstall older Studio versions before.
    Also, do not try any serious work with lesser OS' than Windows 2000.

    I've just for fun edited a 4hr/6GB MPEG2 recording from my satellite
    card and had no unnormal delays except for the very first loading
    (S9.1.2 w. both patches).
    Scene recognition took about 30 mins and came up with about 1600
    scenes.
    I cut out all ads frame accurate, inserted some transitions and
    exported all to MPEG2 again. Took 30 min, only about 1 min for
    rendering.
    Most important, it does not recompress the MPEG except for the
    transitions. Only flaw to me that it seems to recompress the audio
    every time. The MPEG settings are ignored if the source is already DVD
    compatible, but the audio bitrate is obeyed.

    Anyway I prefer TMPGEnc DVD Author for just cutting ads and burning,
    it's very fast and reliable, easier to use than DVDlab and also
    cheaper. Also easier than Studio's DVD authoring.

    I've not yet managed to crash S9, BTW, and it's very useful. A huge
    improvement over S8. There is no software that is best in all tasks,
    so you'll always need something else. For example, there's nothing
    better for denosing and deshaking etc. than Virtualdub, or maybe you
    spend big $$$ for After Effects.

    Given the fact that S9 SE (OEM) is available for about 5 Euros, with
    little restrictions (like no motion menus, no art effects, no
    hierarchical menus) but full MPEG2 support, I think it's simply
    amazing.

    Cheers

    http://www.codecpage.com

    5 EUROS? Are you, uh, kidding?

    "codecpage" <nospam-codecbox@email.com> wrote in message
    > On 1 Jul 2004 07:49:02 -0700, my_name_is_tetsuo@hotmail.com (Tetsuo)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >OK, it's more complex than I tought...
    > >
    > >I realize now that pinnacle was doing a lot of things:
    > >
    > >Capture
    > >Edition
    > >MPEG2 export
    > >DVD author
    > >DVD burning
    > >
    > >So now, I decided to use pinnacle for capturing, DVD-lab for DVD
    > >authoring and Nero for DVD burning.
    > >
    > >TMPGEnc does a good job to convert av to mpeg2. But I need a software
    > >to create transition and mixing from the mpeg2 files without
    > >re-encoding them at the end. Then, I can put the mpeg2 files with
    > >transition and everything in DVD-lab.
    > >
    > >Maybe what I ask is impossible and I need a software that mix
    > >everything before encoding to mpeg2 and I know that TMPGEnc can't do
    > >that.
    > >
    > >I'm thinking of trying Adobe Premiere and Ulead VideoStudio for this
    > >part. Any suggestion or comments about my choices?
    >
    > Maybe reinstalling S9 will help. It's very important that you
    > carefully deinstall older Studio versions before.
    > Also, do not try any serious work with lesser OS' than Windows 2000.
    >
    > I've just for fun edited a 4hr/6GB MPEG2 recording from my satellite
    > card and had no unnormal delays except for the very first loading
    > (S9.1.2 w. both patches).
    > Scene recognition took about 30 mins and came up with about 1600
    > scenes.
    > I cut out all ads frame accurate, inserted some transitions and
    > exported all to MPEG2 again. Took 30 min, only about 1 min for
    > rendering.
    > Most important, it does not recompress the MPEG except for the
    > transitions. Only flaw to me that it seems to recompress the audio
    > every time. The MPEG settings are ignored if the source is already DVD
    > compatible, but the audio bitrate is obeyed.
    >
    > Anyway I prefer TMPGEnc DVD Author for just cutting ads and burning,
    > it's very fast and reliable, easier to use than DVDlab and also
    > cheaper. Also easier than Studio's DVD authoring.
    >
    > I've not yet managed to crash S9, BTW, and it's very useful. A huge
    > improvement over S8. There is no software that is best in all tasks,
    > so you'll always need something else. For example, there's nothing
    > better for denosing and deshaking etc. than Virtualdub, or maybe you
    > spend big $$$ for After Effects.
    >
    > Given the fact that S9 SE (OEM) is available for about 5 Euros, with
    > little restrictions (like no motion menus, no art effects, no
    > hierarchical menus) but full MPEG2 support, I think it's simply
    > amazing.
    >
    > Cheers
    >

    > http://www.codecpage.com

    On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 17:41:31 -0500, "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net>
    wrote:
    No.
    Check up ebay.de.
    There are countries where reselling of OEM products is legally
    approved (when hardware companies get their bundled software that
    cheap, why shouldn't the end user have the same rights, anyway ?).

    Cheers

    >5 EUROS? Are you, uh, kidding?
    >

    >"codecpage" <nospam-codecbox@email.com> wrote in message
    >> On 1 Jul 2004 07:49:02 -0700, my_name_is_tetsuo@hotmail.com (Tetsuo)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >OK, it's more complex than I tought...
    >> >
    >> >I realize now that pinnacle was doing a lot of things:
    >> >
    >> >Capture
    >> >Edition
    >> >MPEG2 export
    >> >DVD author
    >> >DVD burning
    >> >
    >> >So now, I decided to use pinnacle for capturing, DVD-lab for DVD
    >> >authoring and Nero for DVD burning.
    >> >
    >> >TMPGEnc does a good job to convert av to mpeg2. But I need a software
    >> >to create transition and mixing from the mpeg2 files without
    >> >re-encoding them at the end. Then, I can put the mpeg2 files with
    >> >transition and everything in DVD-lab.
    >> >
    >> >Maybe what I ask is impossible and I need a software that mix
    >> >everything before encoding to mpeg2 and I know that TMPGEnc can't do
    >> >that.
    >> >
    >> >I'm thinking of trying Adobe Premiere and Ulead VideoStudio for this
    >> >part. Any suggestion or comments about my choices?
    >>
    >> Maybe reinstalling S9 will help. It's very important that you
    >> carefully deinstall older Studio versions before.
    >> Also, do not try any serious work with lesser OS' than Windows 2000.
    >>
    >> I've just for fun edited a 4hr/6GB MPEG2 recording from my satellite
    >> card and had no unnormal delays except for the very first loading
    >> (S9.1.2 w. both patches).
    >> Scene recognition took about 30 mins and came up with about 1600
    >> scenes.
    >> I cut out all ads frame accurate, inserted some transitions and
    >> exported all to MPEG2 again. Took 30 min, only about 1 min for
    >> rendering.
    >> Most important, it does not recompress the MPEG except for the
    >> transitions. Only flaw to me that it seems to recompress the audio
    >> every time. The MPEG settings are ignored if the source is already DVD
    >> compatible, but the audio bitrate is obeyed.
    >>
    >> Anyway I prefer TMPGEnc DVD Author for just cutting ads and burning,
    >> it's very fast and reliable, easier to use than DVDlab and also
    >> cheaper. Also easier than Studio's DVD authoring.
    >>
    >> I've not yet managed to crash S9, BTW, and it's very useful. A huge
    >> improvement over S8. There is no software that is best in all tasks,
    >> so you'll always need something else. For example, there's nothing
    >> better for denosing and deshaking etc. than Virtualdub, or maybe you
    >> spend big $$$ for After Effects.
    >>
    >> Given the fact that S9 SE (OEM) is available for about 5 Euros, with
    >> little restrictions (like no motion menus, no art effects, no
    >> hierarchical menus) but full MPEG2 support, I think it's simply
    >> amazing.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    >> http://www.codecpage.com

    http://www.codecpage.com

Tuner Cards Studio Pinnacle DVD Graphics