Cyclical redundency error

I just got a good lesson in not buying cheap DVD-R's.

I had been using Memorex DVD-R's with no problem and
switched to a generic brand (that are inkjet printable)
that Fry's sells. Four of 6 burns gave me the cyclical
redundency errors and are useless. This is not a good
ratio. I lowered the write to 2x (from 4x) and while
I can access the whole disk from my computer, it can't
be read on my standalone (the Memorex's have no problem).

You live and learn.

--
Tim.

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither
liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Tim V." <tsvemail-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I just got a good lesson in not buying cheap DVD-R's.
>
> I had been using Memorex DVD-R's with no problem and
> switched to a generic brand (that are inkjet printable)
> that Fry's sells. Four of 6 burns gave me the cyclical
> redundency errors and are useless. This is not a good
> ratio. I lowered the write to 2x (from 4x) and while
> I can access the whole disk from my computer, it can't
> be read on my standalone (the Memorex's have no problem).
>
> You live and learn.

I've had similar problems with Office Depot brand CD's. Now, I generally
like Office Depot, but I'll never buy their CD's again.

I had bad writes on over 40% of them - would have been better off buying the
more expensive ones...

Tim V. wrote:

> I just got a good lesson in not buying cheap DVD-R's.
>
> I had been using Memorex DVD-R's with no problem and
> switched to a generic brand (that are inkjet printable)
> that Fry's sells. Four of 6 burns gave me the cyclical
> redundency errors and are useless. This is not a good
> ratio. I lowered the write to 2x (from 4x) and while
> I can access the whole disk from my computer, it can't
> be read on my standalone (the Memorex's have no problem).

Who's the manufacturer? DVD Info Pro will tell you.

-WD

"Tim V." <tsvemail-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I just got a good lesson in not buying cheap DVD-R's.
>
> I had been using Memorex DVD-R's with no problem and
> switched to a generic brand (that are inkjet printable)
> that Fry's sells. Four of 6 burns gave me the cyclical
> redundency errors and are useless. This is not a good
> ratio. I lowered the write to 2x (from 4x) and while
> I can access the whole disk from my computer, it can't
> be read on my standalone (the Memorex's have no problem).
>
> You live and learn.

Thanks. I think you just saved me a trip to Fry's :)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com