How to convert a DAT video file to an ordinary format

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 26, 2004 10:51:31 AM

I decoded a set of rar volumes for a movie with WinRAR, which produced a
large file of .DAT format. I never seen this type of video file and do
not know how to view it. Can someone tell how to convert it to an
ordinary video format like mpg, avi or wmn? Thanks for your attention.
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 8:51:44 PM

Chiropter wrote:
> I decoded a set of rar volumes for a movie with WinRAR, which produced a
> large file of .DAT format. I never seen this type of video file and do
> not know how to view it. Can someone tell how to convert it to an
> ordinary video format like mpg, avi or wmn? Thanks for your attention.

They're probably VCD.
Windows media player should be able to play them without any modification.

If you want to convert them to true MPEG, then you can use cdxa2mpeg
from vcdimager:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_...

-WD
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 1:52:02 AM

Chiropter wrote:

> I decoded a set of rar volumes for a movie with WinRAR, which
> produced a large file of .DAT format. I never seen this type of video
> file and do not know how to view it. Can someone tell how to convert
> it to an ordinary video format like mpg, avi or wmn? Thanks for your
> attention.

tmpgenc or flask mpeg
--

if I haven't given a url with my answer, try typing the keywords into
google.com

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 06:51:31 -0500, Chiropter <chiropter@cox.net>
wrote:

>I decoded a set of rar volumes for a movie with WinRAR, which produced a
>large file of .DAT format.

These are mpegs in the Vcd format. You can use VcdGear to make them
into regular .mpg
!