Movie Maker freeze my PC during capture

After I capture my video from my DV camcorder for a few minutes, my PC freeze
so I have to reboot it. Then I see that a Windows media video (.wmv) file of
29 MB (which is part of my whole video) and a TMP file of 686 MB.
My Samsung camcorder is linked to my PC with firewire.
What should I do to avoid that ?

Do a Disk Cleanup and Defrag and reboot the PC before you capture and see
how that goes.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After I capture my video from my DV camcorder for a few minutes, my PC
> freeze
> so I have to reboot it. Then I see that a Windows media video (.wmv) file
> of
> 29 MB (which is part of my whole video) and a TMP file of 686 MB.
> My Samsung camcorder is linked to my PC with firewire.
> What should I do to avoid that ?

I did it but I still have the same problem.
Jacques

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do a Disk Cleanup and Defrag and reboot the PC before you capture and see
> how that goes.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After I capture my video from my DV camcorder for a few minutes, my PC
> > freeze
> > so I have to reboot it. Then I see that a Windows media video (.wmv) file
> > of
> > 29 MB (which is part of my whole video) and a TMP file of 686 MB.
> > My Samsung camcorder is linked to my PC with firewire.
> > What should I do to avoid that ?

How much free space on the hard drive(s)?
--

>I did it but I still have the same problem.
> Jacques
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Do a Disk Cleanup and Defrag and reboot the PC before you capture and see
>> how that goes.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > After I capture my video from my DV camcorder for a few minutes, my PC
>> > freeze
>> > so I have to reboot it. Then I see that a Windows media video (.wmv)
>> > file
>> > of
>> > 29 MB (which is part of my whole video) and a TMP file of 686 MB.
>> > My Samsung camcorder is linked to my PC with firewire.
>> > What should I do to avoid that ?

I have 35 GB free.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> How much free space on the hard drive(s)?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I did it but I still have the same problem.
> > Jacques
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Do a Disk Cleanup and Defrag and reboot the PC before you capture and see
> >> how that goes.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>

> >> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Check out the tutorial and problem pages at my site for lots of things to
try.
http://www.myvideoproblems.com

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

>I have 35 GB free.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> How much free space on the hard drive(s)?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I did it but I still have the same problem.
>> > Jacques

Thanks.
In your tutorial "How do I optimise my PC for capturing Video? ", you say:
"See here for how to partition your drive" but you never describe that.
Do you mean that I should use Partition Magic ?

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Check out the tutorial and problem pages at my site for lots of things to
> try.
> http://www.myvideoproblems.com
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 35 GB free.
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> How much free space on the hard drive(s)?
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>

> >> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jacques,
Sorry my mistake, I wrote that and forgot to put the "how to partition a
drive" down in my list of jobs to do......and forgot about it.
It's now on my list, but yes, using partition magic would do the job fine.
Make sure you leave plenty of space on the OS drive, not just for extra
programmes, but also for things like defragging, then make sure you do all
your saving of info to the new partitioned drive. This will help other apps
like photo editing etc as well.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> Thanks.
> In your tutorial "How do I optimise my PC for capturing Video? ", you say:
> "See here for how to partition your drive" but you never describe that.
> Do you mean that I should use Partition Magic ?
>

> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> Check out the tutorial and problem pages at my site for lots of things to
>> try.
>> http://www.myvideoproblems.com
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have 35 GB free.

In your tutorial, you advise to click on http://www.processlibrary.com/ and
see which processes can be terminated.
When I type System in "process search", it tells me that my PC is infected
with a Trojan but I'm not sure if they speak of system.exe or System. Do you
know ?
I have System in my Task Manager.

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Jacques,
> Sorry my mistake, I wrote that and forgot to put the "how to partition a
> drive" down in my list of jobs to do......and forgot about it.
> It's now on my list, but yes, using partition magic would do the job fine.
> Make sure you leave plenty of space on the OS drive, not just for extra
> programmes, but also for things like defragging, then make sure you do all
> your saving of info to the new partitioned drive. This will help other apps
> like photo editing etc as well.
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks.
> > In your tutorial "How do I optimise my PC for capturing Video? ", you say:
> > "See here for how to partition your drive" but you never describe that.
> > Do you mean that I should use Partition Magic ?
> >

> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> >> Check out the tutorial and problem pages at my site for lots of things to
> >> try.
> >> http://www.myvideoproblems.com
> >>
> >> --
> >> Graham Hughes
> >> MVP Digital Media
> >> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> >> www.dvds2treasure.com
> >> www.simplydv.com
> >>

> >> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Run a full scan with antivirus software with updated signatures. If you
don't have any (GET ONE ASAP) use an online scan like the one at
www.pandasoftware.com. I suggest you get something soonest, AVAST is free
for personal use www.avast.com

Don't forget you also need antispyware.... www.lavasoft.com and the new
Microsoft AntiSpyware www.microsoft.com are also free for personal use.
--

> In your tutorial, you advise to click on http://www.processlibrary.com/
> and
> see which processes can be terminated.
> When I type System in "process search", it tells me that my PC is infected
> with a Trojan but I'm not sure if they speak of system.exe or System. Do
> you
> know ?
> I have System in my Task Manager.
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> Jacques,
>> Sorry my mistake, I wrote that and forgot to put the "how to partition a
>> drive" down in my list of jobs to do......and forgot about it.
>> It's now on my list, but yes, using partition magic would do the job
>> fine.
>> Make sure you leave plenty of space on the OS drive, not just for extra
>> programmes, but also for things like defragging, then make sure you do
>> all
>> your saving of info to the new partitioned drive. This will help other
>> apps
>> like photo editing etc as well.
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks.
>> > In your tutorial "How do I optimise my PC for capturing Video? ", you
>> > say:
>> > "See here for how to partition your drive" but you never describe that.
>> > Do you mean that I should use Partition Magic ?

Thanks Cari but do you have also a System process in your task manager ?
I want to know if when one have system it means that I have a trojan or if
it's a mistake from the web site, which make a confusion with system.exe

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Run a full scan with antivirus software with updated signatures. If you
> don't have any (GET ONE ASAP) use an online scan like the one at
> www.pandasoftware.com. I suggest you get something soonest, AVAST is free
> for personal use www.avast.com
>
> Don't forget you also need antispyware.... www.lavasoft.com and the new
> Microsoft AntiSpyware www.microsoft.com are also free for personal use.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In your tutorial, you advise to click on http://www.processlibrary.com/
> > and
> > see which processes can be terminated.
> > When I type System in "process search", it tells me that my PC is infected
> > with a Trojan but I'm not sure if they speak of system.exe or System. Do
> > you
> > know ?
> > I have System in my Task Manager.
> >
> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> >> Jacques,
> >> Sorry my mistake, I wrote that and forgot to put the "how to partition a
> >> drive" down in my list of jobs to do......and forgot about it.
> >> It's now on my list, but yes, using partition magic would do the job
> >> fine.
> >> Make sure you leave plenty of space on the OS drive, not just for extra
> >> programmes, but also for things like defragging, then make sure you do
> >> all
> >> your saving of info to the new partitioned drive. This will help other
> >> apps
> >> like photo editing etc as well.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Graham Hughes
> >> MVP Digital Media
> >> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> >> www.dvds2treasure.com
> >> www.simplydv.com
> >>

> >> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I have System (with no file extension) taking up 212k of Memory Usage.
--

> Thanks Cari but do you have also a System process in your task manager ?
> I want to know if when one have system it means that I have a trojan or if
> it's a mistake from the web site, which make a confusion with system.exe
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Run a full scan with antivirus software with updated signatures. If you
>> don't have any (GET ONE ASAP) use an online scan like the one at
>> www.pandasoftware.com. I suggest you get something soonest, AVAST is
>> free
>> for personal use www.avast.com
>>
>> Don't forget you also need antispyware.... www.lavasoft.com and the new
>> Microsoft AntiSpyware www.microsoft.com are also free for personal use.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In your tutorial, you advise to click on http://www.processlibrary.com/
>> > and
>> > see which processes can be terminated.
>> > When I type System in "process search", it tells me that my PC is
>> > infected
>> > with a Trojan but I'm not sure if they speak of system.exe or System.
>> > Do
>> > you
>> > know ?
>> > I have System in my Task Manager.

I followed your advices and used EZ Antivirus, then after 25 minutes of scan,
my notebook froze twice, like with Windows Movie Maker. So I followed your
hot tip and put my notebook on a wire baking tray and this time, EZ antivirus
completed the scan and found 8 viruses !