newby ?

Hi
im new to video, i have a sony hi8 dv and a jvc mini dv should one be better
than the other ,look the same to me ,and is avi the best for quality im
using Pinnacle 8 just ordered 9 for editing
thanks

Rob
6 answers Last reply
More about newby

    Its all pretty much the same cup of tea until you shell out for 3-chip
    cameras

    avi is a catch-all extention that many different formats use. If the
    filesize is roughly 3.61 mb per second (the size of dv format) then its
    probably dv and it would be the best you can get.

    "Your-Nice" <Your-Nice@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > im new to video, i have a sony hi8 dv and a jvc mini dv should one be
    better
    > than the other ,look the same to me ,and is avi the best for quality im
    > using Pinnacle 8 just ordered 9 for editing
    > thanks
    >
    > Rob

    thanks for the info.

    "Terry" <replytothegroupzzz@zzz.com> wrote in message
    > Its all pretty much the same cup of tea until you shell out for 3-chip
    > cameras
    >
    > avi is a catch-all extention that many different formats use. If the
    > filesize is roughly 3.61 mb per second (the size of dv format) then its
    > probably dv and it would be the best you can get.
    >
    > "Your-Nice" <Your-Nice@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > im new to video, i have a sony hi8 dv and a jvc mini dv should one be
    > better
    > > than the other ,look the same to me ,and is avi the best for quality im
    > > using Pinnacle 8 just ordered 9 for editing
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > Rob

    "Your-Nice" <Your-Nice@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > im new to video, i have a sony hi8 dv and a jvc mini dv should one be
    better
    > than the other ,look the same to me ,and is avi the best for quality im
    > using Pinnacle 8 just ordered 9 for editing
    > thanks

    Help clarify: "hi8 dv" doesn't exist. Do you mean "digital 8" by any chance?
    Does the 8mm camera have firewire?

    opps yes digital 8 and yes it has fire wire .

    > opps yes digital 8 and yes it has fire wire .

    Ah -

    In that case, there will not be much difference, and any difference there is
    can probably be attributed to the camera.

    Someone else mentioned you'll notice a big difference going to a 3-chip
    camera. That IS the biggest difference, and I'm not aware of any D8 3-chips
    (there may be some, I just don't know about them)

    thanks, things are starting to make a bit more sense now with peoples help
    on here.

    > "Your-Nice" <Your-Nice@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > opps yes digital 8 and yes it has fire wire .
    >
    > Ah -
    >
    > In that case, there will not be much difference, and any difference there
    is
    > can probably be attributed to the camera.
    >
    > Someone else mentioned you'll notice a big difference going to a 3-chip
    > camera. That IS the biggest difference, and I'm not aware of any D8
    3-chips
    > (there may be some, I just don't know about them)

Tuner Cards Desktops Video Graphics