Panasonic Cameras and Windows XP

JS

I just bought a Panasonic FZ3 and I want to use the Windows XP Scanner and
Camera Wizard to download and manage photos from the camera. I haven't been
able to get this to work. It doesn't seem to recognise the camera.
I can only download from the camera using the bundled Panasonic software
which I don't like.
Has anyone been able to use the Windows XP Scanner and Camera Wizard with
Panasonic cameras?
Thanks,
John

I had a similar problem with my Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. The XP
Scanner & Camera Wizard would not launch when the camera was plugged into
the USB port. The instruction manual didn't help at all. I finally solved
the problem by turning on the camera, turning on the LCD screen, going into
Setup and changing the USB setting from 'normal' to 'PTP.' Now the Scanner
& Camera Wizard works properly.

"js" <me@mine.com> wrote in message news:41cb5e24$1@quokka.wn.com.au...
>I just bought a Panasonic FZ3 and I want to use the Windows XP Scanner and
>Camera Wizard to download and manage photos from the camera. I haven't
>been able to get this to work. It doesn't seem to recognise the camera.
> I can only download from the camera using the bundled Panasonic software
> which I don't like.
> Has anyone been able to use the Windows XP Scanner and Camera Wizard with
> Panasonic cameras?
> Thanks,
> John

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Many of the current crop of digital cameras do not use the scanner and
camera wizard.
In any event, you should be able to download the pictures, since the
camera's memory normally shows up as disc drive and subdirectory. As far as
software and pictures go, windows does not have a good imbedded application
for processing and editing pictures. Usually, the software included with a
digital camera is oriented towards indexing and photo album creation. Only
very basic photo editing capability is generally included.

Admittedly, this may be enough for a majority of digital camera owners that
are just interested in the snapshot type of picture.

"js" <me@mine.com> wrote in message news:41cb5e24$1@quokka.wn.com.au...
>I just bought a Panasonic FZ3 and I want to use the Windows XP Scanner and
>Camera Wizard to download and manage photos from the camera. I haven't
>been able to get this to work. It doesn't seem to recognise the camera.
> I can only download from the camera using the bundled Panasonic software
> which I don't like.
> Has anyone been able to use the Windows XP Scanner and Camera Wizard with
> Panasonic cameras?
> Thanks,
> John

---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

consider spending about $US20 and getting a memory card reader, plug
into USB port, and whenever you want to move pictures from camera,
just pop the memory card into the reader and use windows explorer (or
mac equivalent). Saves battery drain in the camera when using the
"plug camera into computer" method - and often is faster as well.