Best firewire capture software?

I've been capturing real-time from a couple-year-old digital camcorder
(Panasonic, not sure the model but was in the $1000-3000 range) to a
Windows XP/nForce2/XP2100+ computer over firewire (built-in),
sometimes using WMM2 or somtimes using Premiere Pro. Does it matter
which software one uses to capture DV-AVI and save it to disk? I don't
like Premiere Pro because it uses a lot of RAM and (most importantly)
doesn't allow me to use the computer for other stuff (like PowerPoint
and/or real-time audio broadcasting), and WMM2 also seems overkill
(but does allow the computer to be used for other things). Is there
any (preferably free) software that just captures DV-AVI? Also, does
the quality of the DV-AVI differ at all depending on the capture
software used? I'm guessing not, since it's a digital stream, but I'm
not sure.

Thanks!

Rich

"IGx89" <lieder_matthew@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been capturing real-time from a couple-year-old digital camcorder
> (Panasonic, not sure the model but was in the $1000-3000 range) to a
> Windows XP/nForce2/XP2100+ computer over firewire (built-in),
> sometimes using WMM2 or somtimes using Premiere Pro. Does it matter
> which software one uses to capture DV-AVI and save it to disk? I don't
> like Premiere Pro because it uses a lot of RAM and (most importantly)
> doesn't allow me to use the computer for other stuff (like PowerPoint
> and/or real-time audio broadcasting), and WMM2 also seems overkill
> (but does allow the computer to be used for other things). Is there
> any (preferably free) software that just captures DV-AVI? Also, does
> the quality of the DV-AVI differ at all depending on the capture
> software used? I'm guessing not, since it's a digital stream, but I'm
> not sure.
>
> Thanks!

WinDV, free, fast and easy:
http://windv.mourek.cz/

Rich

Thanks, that appears to be exactly what I was looking for :). The only
drawback appears that it doesn't let you mute/unmute the preview audio :(.

Matthew