Best firewire capture software?

I've been capturing real-time from a couple-year-old digital camcorder
(Panasonic, not sure the model but was in the $1000-3000 range) to a
Windows XP/nForce2/XP2100+ computer over firewire (built-in),
sometimes using WMM2 or somtimes using Premiere Pro. Does it matter
which software one uses to capture DV-AVI and save it to disk? I don't
like Premiere Pro because it uses a lot of RAM and (most importantly)
doesn't allow me to use the computer for other stuff (like PowerPoint
and/or real-time audio broadcasting), and WMM2 also seems overkill
(but does allow the computer to be used for other things). Is there
any (preferably free) software that just captures DV-AVI? Also, does
the quality of the DV-AVI differ at all depending on the capture
software used? I'm guessing not, since it's a digital stream, but I'm
not sure.

Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about best firewire capture software

    "IGx89" <lieder_matthew@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've been capturing real-time from a couple-year-old digital camcorder
    > (Panasonic, not sure the model but was in the $1000-3000 range) to a
    > Windows XP/nForce2/XP2100+ computer over firewire (built-in),
    > sometimes using WMM2 or somtimes using Premiere Pro. Does it matter
    > which software one uses to capture DV-AVI and save it to disk? I don't
    > like Premiere Pro because it uses a lot of RAM and (most importantly)
    > doesn't allow me to use the computer for other stuff (like PowerPoint
    > and/or real-time audio broadcasting), and WMM2 also seems overkill
    > (but does allow the computer to be used for other things). Is there
    > any (preferably free) software that just captures DV-AVI? Also, does
    > the quality of the DV-AVI differ at all depending on the capture
    > software used? I'm guessing not, since it's a digital stream, but I'm
    > not sure.
    >
    > Thanks!

    WinDV, free, fast and easy:
    http://windv.mourek.cz/

    Rich

    Thanks, that appears to be exactly what I was looking for :). The only
    drawback appears that it doesn't let you mute/unmute the preview audio :(.

    Matthew

    "Rich" <richsanchez43@usa.com> wrote in message

    > "IGx89" <lieder_matthew@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I've been capturing real-time from a couple-year-old digital camcorder
    > > (Panasonic, not sure the model but was in the $1000-3000 range) to a
    > > Windows XP/nForce2/XP2100+ computer over firewire (built-in),
    > > sometimes using WMM2 or somtimes using Premiere Pro. Does it matter
    > > which software one uses to capture DV-AVI and save it to disk? I don't
    > > like Premiere Pro because it uses a lot of RAM and (most importantly)
    > > doesn't allow me to use the computer for other stuff (like PowerPoint
    > > and/or real-time audio broadcasting), and WMM2 also seems overkill
    > > (but does allow the computer to be used for other things). Is there
    > > any (preferably free) software that just captures DV-AVI? Also, does
    > > the quality of the DV-AVI differ at all depending on the capture
    > > software used? I'm guessing not, since it's a digital stream, but I'm
    > > not sure.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    >
    > WinDV, free, fast and easy:
    > http://windv.mourek.cz/
    >
    > Rich

Tuner Cards Software Firewire Computer Graphics