Premiere Pro - Way to RE-interlace 59.94fps to 29.97fps?

Archived from groups: adobe.premiere.pro.win,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

My situation: I've got 59.94fps progressive video, and I need to
downconvert it to regular old NTSC at 29.97fps. Premiere Pro lets one
export a 59.94fps project as such. However, a quick test confirms my
suspicion: All Premiere Pro does is pick every other frame and use it
to generate BOTH FIELDS of the new 29.97fps interlaced video! It
completely ignores the fact that I have 59.94 perfectly usable frames
per second that it could use for each field. (This was confirmed by
inserting a single frame of text at frames 0:10 and 0:21, and then
importing the resulting video and seeing whether or not the text had
been rendered. The text was resident at 0:10/11 but not at 0:20/21.)

So! What I need is a plugin that will do a PROPER job of interlacing
my video, since Premiere Pro is evidently not up to the task. Anyone
have experience with something that will in fact work? Thanks. :)

On 27 Jun 2004 01:56:00 -0700, retsa2@hotmail.com (Marc Brown) wrote:

>So! What I need is a plugin that will do a PROPER job of interlacing
>my video, since Premiere Pro is evidently not up to the task. Anyone
>have experience with something that will in fact work? Thanks. :)

Avisynth <www.avisynth.org> can do that, but it's a scripting language,
so it can be a little daunting. This script should work:

AviSource("my_video.avi")
SeparateFields()
SelectEvery(4,0,3)
Weave()

Save this script as an .avs file, open it with VirtualDub and save it as
a new avi file, using the codec of your choice. The resulting avi will
be interlaced - 29.97 fps - bottom field first. If you want upper field
first, use SelectEvery(4,1,2).

On 27 Jun 2004 01:56:00 -0700, retsa2@hotmail.com (Marc Brown) wrote:

>since Premiere Pro is evidently not up to the task.

By the way, Vegas is up to the task. I just tried it.

erratic <erratic@reply-to.address> wrote in message news:<4bBDc.167715$Y06.8426536@phobos.telenet-ops.be>...
> On 27 Jun 2004 01:56:00 -0700, retsa2@hotmail.com (Marc Brown) wrote:
>
> >since Premiere Pro is evidently not up to the task.
>
> By the way, Vegas is up to the task. I just tried it.

Thanks for the tips. I tried using Vegas, but there doesn't seem to be
a way of exporting _raw_ video. Although the program does let one
specify the Sony DV codec, which is nice, and another capability missing
from the much-vaunted Premiere Pro.

So I went with the Avisynth solution. It seems to have worked. But I
won't really know until I move the whole project to a DVD-R and try it
in a hardware player, because (to the best of my admittedly limited
knowledge) there is no app for the PC that allows one to review video
on a field-by-field basis. Virtualdub shows two frames but they appear
to be identical, indicating that they are not in fact the two fields of
a single frame.

Marc Brown wrote:
> erratic <erratic@reply-to.address> wrote in message
> I tried using Vegas, but there doesn't seem to
> be a way of exporting _raw_ video.

If by "raw", you mean uncompressed, Vegas can do it. Select avi in the
"save as type" box and "default template (uncompressed)" in the template
box.

Mike

On 27-Jun-2004, retsa2@hotmail.com (Marc Brown) wrote:

> So! What I need is a plugin that will do a PROPER job of interlacing
> my video, since Premiere Pro is evidently not up to the task. Anyone
> have experience with something that will in fact work? Thanks. :)

After Effects does it using the "Field Render" setting. Works great.

--
Chris

Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em

On 27 Jun 2004 17:28:34 -0700, retsa2@hotmail.com (Marc Brown) wrote:

>because (to the best of my admittedly limited
>knowledge) there is no app for the PC that allows one to review video
>on a field-by-field basis.

Avisynth can do that too.

AviSource("whatever.avi")
AssumeTFF() # remove this line if your video is lower field first
SeparateFields()

This will separate the fields and play them in the correct order.
For example: 29.97i 720x480 will be played as 59.94p 720x240.
If you replace SeparateFields() with Bob() the fields will be
resized to 720x480, so then you will get 59.94p 720x480.