Sony Dual Layer at Best Buy

I just checked out Sony's dual layer 8.5G burner at Best Buy. It's $199,
looks great, comes with Nero software, which is good, but...

I then looked for the discs to use with it. Of course, it is also a fine
8X single layer, dual format burner, but if you're interested in
recording all kinds of dual layer discs, here's what I found: They had a
Verbatim product called the "Dual Layer Solution." It had 10 discs in it
for $29.95. Sounds reasonable, until you read the fine print: the
package contains 8 DVD+R discs, 1 DVD RW, and 1 (ONE) DVD dual layer
disc! So, if you assume about a buck each for the first nine discs, then
the price of the dual layer is $20!

I sure hope this thing comes down in price. Will probably be superseded
by the blue laser anyway.

Gary Eickmeier
15 answers Last reply
More about sony dual layer

    > So, if you assume about a buck each for the first nine discs, then
    >the price of the dual layer is $20!

    Somebody out there will rent a movie at Blockbuster, copy it to a $20
    disc, and think they beat the system. :-)

    > > So, if you assume about a buck each for the first nine discs, then
    > >the price of the dual layer is $20!
    >

    > Somebody out there will rent a movie at Blockbuster, copy it to a $20
    > disc, and think they beat the system. :-)

    D'oh!!! I knew I should have done the math on it first :-)

    "Adam H" <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> wrote in message
    > > > So, if you assume about a buck each for the first nine discs, then
    > > >the price of the dual layer is $20!
    > >

    > > Somebody out there will rent a movie at Blockbuster, copy it to a $20
    > > disc, and think they beat the system. :-)
    >
    > D'oh!!! I knew I should have done the math on it first :-)

    I think they will be cheaper than that, when they are available sometime
    soon,
    this web link has them listed as coming soon, but no price!

    http://store.yahoo.com/supermediastore/verbatim-94912-8-5gb-double-dual-layer-dvd-plus-r-dl.html#specifications

    AnthonyR

    "Adam H" <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> wrote in message
    > > > So, if you assume about a buck each for the first nine discs, then
    > > >the price of the dual layer is $20!
    > >

    > > Somebody out there will rent a movie at Blockbuster, copy it to a $20
    > > disc, and think they beat the system. :-)
    >
    > D'oh!!! I knew I should have done the math on it first :-)

    Then again, maybe $20 a disc is the going price, I found a 5 pack for $99,
    LOL
    http://www.americal.com/ct/double%20layer%208.5gb%20dvd%20media.html

    way too much money! DVD shrink is a much better option!

    >Then again, maybe $20 a disc is the going price, I found a 5 pack for $99,

    I have very clear memories of $15 CD-r's.
    Oh the pain of burning a coaster back then.

    "AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote:

    >Then again, maybe $20 a disc is the going price, I found a 5 pack for $99,
    >LOL
    >http://www.americal.com/ct/double%20layer%208.5gb%20dvd%20media.html
    >
    >way too much money! DVD shrink is a much better option!

    Cutting-edge technology is usually expensive. It wasn't so long ago
    when CD-RW discs were selling for $20 each. And I seem to remember
    5.25" floppy disks selling for something like $10 each around 1981 or
    so; you could barely fit one high quality .jpg file on one of those
    things these days.

    Gary Eickmeier <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in

    > I just checked out Sony's dual layer 8.5G burner at Best Buy. It's
    > $199, looks great, comes with Nero software, which is good, but...
    >
    > I then looked for the discs to use with it. Of course, it is also a
    > fine 8X single layer, dual format burner, but if you're interested in
    > recording all kinds of dual layer discs, here's what I found: They had
    > a Verbatim product called the "Dual Layer Solution." It had 10 discs
    > in it for $29.95. Sounds reasonable, until you read the fine print:
    > the package contains 8 DVD+R discs, 1 DVD RW, and 1 (ONE) DVD dual
    > layer disc! So, if you assume about a buck each for the first nine
    > discs, then the price of the dual layer is $20!
    >
    > I sure hope this thing comes down in price. Will probably be
    > superseded by the blue laser anyway.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    That's the same price as Fry's. The guy there told me discs should be
    around $10 each.

    I've had the lasers go out in my last 2 Sony drives, so I'm wary of them
    now. I'll wait awhile to see what the market dictates. A DL +R doesn't
    do me any good since neither of my players can read a standard +R.
    A DL +RW or -RW would turn my head!

    --
    Tim.

    "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
    neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

    In article <ZdEDc.170317$Ol3.130646@twister.tampabay.rr.com>,
    Gary Eickmeier <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
    > I just checked out Sony's dual layer 8.5G burner at Best Buy. It's $199,
    > looks great, comes with Nero software, which is good, but...

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-025&depa=0

    $85, buy your own Nero with the extra $114.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

    He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
    and he who dares not is a slave. -Sir William Drummond

    Hactar wrote:

    > In article <ZdEDc.170317$Ol3.130646@twister.tampabay.rr.com>,
    > Gary Eickmeier <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
    > > I just checked out Sony's dual layer 8.5G burner at Best Buy. It's $199,
    > > looks great, comes with Nero software, which is good, but...
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-025&depa=0
    >
    > $85, buy your own Nero with the extra $114.

    Of course, that's an "NEC" burner and the OP was talking about "Sony". Not an
    issue to some people, but it is for others.

    In article <40E080E6.B517424D@hotmail.com>,
    Keith Clark <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Hactar wrote:
    >
    > > In article <ZdEDc.170317$Ol3.130646@twister.tampabay.rr.com>,
    > > Gary Eickmeier <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
    > > > I just checked out Sony's dual layer 8.5G burner at Best Buy. It's $199,
    > > > looks great, comes with Nero software, which is good, but...
    > >
    > > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-025&depa=0
    > >
    > > $85, buy your own Nero with the extra $114.
    > >

    > Of course, that's an "NEC" burner and the OP was talking about "Sony". Not an
    > issue to some people, but it is for others.

    Must be one of those religious wars I don't get into. Ford/Chevy, vi/emacs...

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
    Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your electronic

    Hactar wrote:

    > In article <40E080E6.B517424D@hotmail.com>,
    > Keith Clark <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >

    > > Hactar wrote:

    > > > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-025&depa=0
    > > >
    > > > $85, buy your own Nero with the extra $114.
    > > >

    > > Of course, that's an "NEC" burner and the OP was talking about "Sony". Not an
    > > issue to some people, but it is for others.
    >
    > Must be one of those religious wars I don't get into. Ford/Chevy, vi/emacs...

    The point was it's not the same device. That's all...

    It's like someone asking about a 350 Chevy motor and someone saying " Joe's
    Automotive has a great deal on Ford 440 motors". (don't beat me up on the
    displacements, I don't know beans about Chevy vs Ford, just trying to make a
    point).

    In article <40E093B3.E05AD4F@hotmail.com>,
    Keith Clark <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Hactar wrote:
    >
    > > In article <40E080E6.B517424D@hotmail.com>,
    > > Keith Clark <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > > Of course, that's an "NEC" burner and the OP was talking about "Sony". Not an
    > > > issue to some people, but it is for others.
    > >
    > > Must be one of those religious wars I don't get into. Ford/Chevy, vi/emacs...
    >
    > The point was it's not the same device. That's all...

    Sure, but I thought the OP was concerned about any dual-layer writer, not a
    specific kind of same. Best Buy's web site shows no other dual-layer
    writers. If his concern was model/manufacturer specific, then my comment is
    indeed irrelevant. If he was searching for any dual-layer writer and only
    found that, then it's not.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
    GEMINI: Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive

    Hactar wrote:

    > In article <40E093B3.E05AD4F@hotmail.com>,
    > Keith Clark <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >

    > > Hactar wrote:

    > > > Must be one of those religious wars I don't get into. Ford/Chevy, vi/emacs...
    > >
    > > The point was it's not the same device. That's all...
    >
    > Sure, but I thought the OP was concerned about any dual-layer writer, not a
    > specific kind of same. Best Buy's web site shows no other dual-layer
    > writers. If his concern was model/manufacturer specific, then my comment is
    > indeed irrelevant. If he was searching for any dual-layer writer and only
    > found that, then it's not.

    Exactly. :->

    Keith Clark wrote:

    >>Sure, but I thought the OP was concerned about any dual-layer writer, not a
    >>specific kind of same. Best Buy's web site shows no other dual-layer
    >>writers. If his concern was model/manufacturer specific, then my comment is
    >>indeed irrelevant. If he was searching for any dual-layer writer and only
    >>found that, then it's not.
    >>

    > Exactly. :->

    It was just interesting to me that the burner looked so attractive to
    buy, until I looked for the discs to use with it. Also, the misleading
    packaging of the Verbatim discs. I might have easily picked up both the
    burner and the discs, thinking the discs were $3 each. We've got to be
    careful about which technologies we want to jump onto. Not a great need
    for this particular format. We need to wait and see what format the HD
    discs will be sold and rented in, then buy burners for that. These dual
    layer burners and discs are an interim measure I'm sure.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Well, I say go ahead and burn those $20 discs! Then just wait til the price
    comes down to around say $2 and then RE-burn them! ... that should recover
    about $18...right? (Enough to reburn 9 more. ...recovering another $162!!!)

    "Adam H" <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> wrote in message
    > > > So, if you assume about a buck each for the first nine discs, then
    > > >the price of the dual layer is $20!
    > >

    > > Somebody out there will rent a movie at Blockbuster, copy it to a $20
    > > disc, and think they beat the system. :-)
    >
    > D'oh!!! I knew I should have done the math on it first :-)

Tuner Cards Sony Graphics