DVD with 2 audio streams

I'd like to make a bilingual DVD (with 2 audio streams). I'd like to know
if I have to encode the audio using the left channel for one language and
the right channel for the other (i.e. both languages in the same sound
file), or if I'd need to create two separate audio (ex.: wav) files and then
use my DVD-creation program to create 2 separate sound streams? Also, does
a multi-language track use more space than a normal (single-language) one on
the DVD? (I suppose it does if you use 2 separate files) Thanks!!

Ampersand wrote:
> I'd like to make a bilingual DVD (with 2 audio streams). I'd like to know
> if I have to encode the audio using the left channel for one language and
> the right channel for the other (i.e. both languages in the same sound
> file), or if I'd need to create two separate audio (ex.: wav) files and then
> use my DVD-creation program to create 2 separate sound streams? Also, does
> a multi-language track use more space than a normal (single-language) one on
> the DVD? (I suppose it does if you use 2 separate files) Thanks!!

DVD-Lab Pro supports multiple audio tracks.
And yes, having 2 audio streams should take up about twice the space of
1 stream.

-WD

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Ampersand wrote:
> > I'd like to make a bilingual DVD (with 2 audio streams). I'd like to
know
> > if I have to encode the audio using the left channel for one language
and
> > the right channel for the other (i.e. both languages in the same sound
> > file), or if I'd need to create two separate audio (ex.: wav) files and
then
> > use my DVD-creation program to create 2 separate sound streams? Also,
does
> > a multi-language track use more space than a normal (single-language)
one on
> > the DVD? (I suppose it does if you use 2 separate files) Thanks!!
>
> DVD-Lab Pro supports multiple audio tracks.
> And yes, having 2 audio streams should take up about twice the space of
> 1 stream.
>

> -WD

So this means that the two tracks wouldn't be encoded on separate channels
in a single file, that's it? (There would be one 2-channel stereo file for
each stream)

Will Dormann wrote:
> Ampersand wrote:
>
>> I'd like to make a bilingual DVD (with 2 audio streams). I'd like to
>> know
>> if I have to encode the audio using the left channel for one language and
>> the right channel for the other (i.e. both languages in the same sound
>> file), or if I'd need to create two separate audio (ex.: wav) files
>> and then
>> use my DVD-creation program to create 2 separate sound streams? Also,
>> does
>> a multi-language track use more space than a normal (single-language)
>> one on
>> the DVD? (I suppose it does if you use 2 separate files) Thanks!!
>

> DVD-Lab Pro supports multiple audio tracks.
> And yes, having 2 audio streams should take up about twice the space of
> 1 stream.

Not necessarily. If you placed one stream with uncompressed PCM audio,
and one with Dolby Digital 2.0 (.ac3), the DD will be considerably
smaller in size than a uncompressed format. If both were DD (.ac3) they
would be about the same size though.

-Richard

Ampersand wrote:

> So this means that the two tracks wouldn't be encoded on separate channels
> in a single file, that's it? (There would be one 2-channel stereo file for
> each stream)

Yes, you will start out with two stereo sound files.
Your DVD authoring software will multiplex both audio streams into a
single VOB, though.

> Ampersand wrote:
>

> > So this means that the two tracks wouldn't be encoded on separate
channels
> > in a single file, that's it? (There would be one 2-channel stereo file
for
> > each stream)
>
> Yes, you will start out with two stereo sound files.
> Your DVD authoring software will multiplex both audio streams into a
> single VOB, though.
>

> -WD

So will the result be a bigger vob file than if there was only 1 audio
stream?

Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in

> Ampersand wrote:
>> I'd like to make a bilingual DVD (with 2 audio streams). I'd like to
>> know if I have to encode the audio using the left channel for one
>> language and the right channel for the other (i.e. both languages in
>> the same sound file), or if I'd need to create two separate audio
>> (ex.: wav) files and then use my DVD-creation program to create 2
>> separate sound streams? Also, does a multi-language track use more
>> space than a normal (single-language) one on the DVD? (I suppose it
>> does if you use 2 separate files) Thanks!!
>
> DVD-Lab Pro supports multiple audio tracks.
> And yes, having 2 audio streams should take up about twice the space
> of 1 stream.

Yes, I wholeheartedly recommend DVD Lab Pro. I made a dual audio stream
DVD with no problems at all. Oscar (the programmer) is doing a great
job with the product.

--
Tim.

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Ampersand wrote:
> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>Yes, you will start out with two stereo sound files.
>>Your DVD authoring software will multiplex both audio streams into a
>>single VOB, though.
>>

> So will the result be a bigger vob file than if there was only 1 audio
> stream?

Obviously. Say for example you've got 2 AC3 streams. That's going to
take up twice the space of 1 AC3 stream, assuming the bitrate used is
the same. You don't get something for nothing.

> Ampersand wrote:
> > "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >>
> >>Yes, you will start out with two stereo sound files.
> >>Your DVD authoring software will multiplex both audio streams into a
> >>single VOB, though.
> >>

> > So will the result be a bigger vob file than if there was only 1 audio
> > stream?
>
> Obviously. Say for example you've got 2 AC3 streams. That's going to
> take up twice the space of 1 AC3 stream, assuming the bitrate used is
> the same. You don't get something for nothing.
>

> -WD

OK, so...last question: that means the result will be 2 separate stereo (2
channel) audio files encoded inside the vob file, NOT one audio file with
each language on a separate channel, right?

Ampersand wrote:

> OK, so...last question: that means the result will be 2 separate stereo (2
> channel) audio files encoded inside the vob file, NOT one audio file with
> each language on a separate channel, right?

Yes, I've already answered this.

> Ampersand wrote:
>
> > OK, so...last question: that means the result will be 2 separate stereo
(2
> > channel) audio files encoded inside the vob file, NOT one audio file
with
> > each language on a separate channel, right?
>
> Yes, I've already answered this.
>

> -WD

And if I encode the audio at half the bitrate of the initial file (ex.: 192
kbps instead of 384), will the result be a file that would be the same size
as the original, but with 2 audio streams?

Ampersand wrote:

> And if I encode the audio at half the bitrate of the initial file (ex.: 192
> kbps instead of 384), will the result be a file that would be the same size
> as the original, but with 2 audio streams?

Yep, it should be about the same size.
Two 192kbit streams take up the same space as one 384kbit stream.
(aside from the overhead used by the stream itself, which should be trivial)

-WD

TRENDING THREADS