Windows Media Player

I recently had to re install my Windows XP. Now I can't play DVD's. Evey
time I put a DVD in I get a window that reads," Windows Media Player cannot
play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your
computer". And then they say I have to buy a decoder. I thought one is
already installed in Windows XP. Help!
2 answers Last reply
More about windows media player

    Nope - XP and WMP10 DO NOT come with DVD player capability built in - you
    will have to buy a decoder.

    "Valentino France" <valentinofrance@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I recently had to re install my Windows XP. Now I can't play DVD's. Evey
    > time I put a DVD in I get a window that reads," Windows Media Player
    > cannot
    > play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your
    > computer". And then they say I have to buy a decoder. I thought one is
    > already installed in Windows XP. Help!

    Windows XP does not come with a DVD (MPEG2 decoder). You'll need to install
    DVD software of your own (the three most popular are Intervideo's WinDVD,
    Cyberlink's PowerDVD or Nvidia's NVDVD).

    Media Player will leverage these dvd playback software's MPEG2 decoder to
    play back your dvd's.

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "Valentino France" <valentinofrance@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I recently had to re install my Windows XP. Now I can't play DVD's. Evey
    > time I put a DVD in I get a window that reads," Windows Media Player
    > cannot
    > play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your
    > computer". And then they say I have to buy a decoder. I thought one is
    > already installed in Windows XP. Help!

Video DVD Media Player Windows XP