Column: How to have a video conversation with MSN Messenger

July 11, 2005 6:20:01 PM

New Column: How to have a video conversation with MSN Messenger

Columnist Joli Ballew explains how to install MSN Messenger, set up a webcam
and microphone, and have video conversations.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmesseng...

Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

Katie Skibinski
Site manager, vendor [MS]
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 8:56:03 PM

Why install msn messenger at all,its really for msn explorer,a dial-up isp.
Windows messenger for xp,version 4.7 already does all that.

"Katie Skibinski" wrote:

> New Column: How to have a video conversation with MSN Messenger
>
> Columnist Joli Ballew explains how to install MSN Messenger, set up a webcam
> and microphone, and have video conversations.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmesseng...
>
> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> Katie Skibinski
> Site manager, vendor [MS]
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 6:54:03 PM

I prefer MSN Messenger because it offers more features than Windows
Messenger. It has a more colorful interface, lets me choose to show an image
of myself and see images of others, lets me choose different backgrounds and
more. While Windows Messenger is a fully functional messaging program, MSN
Messenger has more options.

"Andrew E." wrote:

> Why install msn messenger at all,its really for msn explorer,a dial-up isp.
> Windows messenger for xp,version 4.7 already does all that.
>
> "Katie Skibinski" wrote:
>
> > New Column: How to have a video conversation with MSN Messenger
> >
> > Columnist Joli Ballew explains how to install MSN Messenger, set up a webcam
> > and microphone, and have video conversations.
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmesseng...
> >
> > Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> > --
> > Katie Skibinski
> > Site manager, vendor [MS]
September 21, 2005 2:55:01 AM

I have just installed ver 7 of messenger and followed install guide as per
Joli. When i do the mic check only a small (about1/10) of the vertical
column shows green - no other colour. I have a SITECOM voicecam which plugs
into a usb port (i have older usb ver 1.0). I tried a video message with rel
in US and we both had video and i could hear him talking but he could not
hear me. The small bars to the rhs of his video image showed green but mine
had no colour. Can anyone help please.

"Katie Skibinski" wrote:

> New Column: How to have a video conversation with MSN Messenger
>
> Columnist Joli Ballew explains how to install MSN Messenger, set up a webcam
> and microphone, and have video conversations.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmesseng...
>
> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> Katie Skibinski
> Site manager, vendor [MS]
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 12:33:04 PM

John,

I've searched for a bit here and have not found anything that resembles your
particular problem with your particular Sitecom Voicecam. However, Sitecom
does have a support page, where you can type a question and get an email
answer. This might be a good place to start.
http://www.sitecom.com/support2.php

Perhaps you also should double check your settings in Control Panel>Sounds
and Audio. Make sure under the Audio tab and Voice tab that the sliders are
all the way up for your input device. Check the Advanced properties for each
too. From the Hardware tab, you can troubleshoot any device as well.

I'm not sure if any of this will work, and some may say that it has to do
with your older USB 1.0 device, but I can't find anything about that
anywhere. See if the previous tips help, and let me know. I'll keep an eye on
this thread.

Joli

!