Column: How to have a video conversation with MSN Messenger

New Column: How to have a video conversation with MSN Messenger

Columnist Joli Ballew explains how to install MSN Messenger, set up a webcam
and microphone, and have video conversations.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/ballew_video.mspx

Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

Katie Skibinski
Site manager, vendor [MS]
4 answers Last reply
More about column video conversation messenger

    Why install msn messenger at all,its really for msn explorer,a dial-up isp.
    Windows messenger for xp,version 4.7 already does all that.

    "Katie Skibinski" wrote:

    > New Column: How to have a video conversation with MSN Messenger
    >
    > Columnist Joli Ballew explains how to install MSN Messenger, set up a webcam
    > and microphone, and have video conversations.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/ballew_video.mspx
    >
    > Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

    > Katie Skibinski
    > Site manager, vendor [MS]

    I prefer MSN Messenger because it offers more features than Windows
    Messenger. It has a more colorful interface, lets me choose to show an image
    of myself and see images of others, lets me choose different backgrounds and
    more. While Windows Messenger is a fully functional messaging program, MSN
    Messenger has more options.

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > Why install msn messenger at all,its really for msn explorer,a dial-up isp.
    > Windows messenger for xp,version 4.7 already does all that.
    >
    > "Katie Skibinski" wrote:
    >
    > > New Column: How to have a video conversation with MSN Messenger
    > >
    > > Columnist Joli Ballew explains how to install MSN Messenger, set up a webcam
    > > and microphone, and have video conversations.
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/ballew_video.mspx
    > >
    > > Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

    > > --
    > > Katie Skibinski
    > > Site manager, vendor [MS]

    I have just installed ver 7 of messenger and followed install guide as per
    Joli. When i do the mic check only a small (about1/10) of the vertical
    column shows green - no other colour. I have a SITECOM voicecam which plugs
    into a usb port (i have older usb ver 1.0). I tried a video message with rel
    in US and we both had video and i could hear him talking but he could not
    hear me. The small bars to the rhs of his video image showed green but mine
    had no colour. Can anyone help please.

    "Katie Skibinski" wrote:

    > New Column: How to have a video conversation with MSN Messenger
    >
    > Columnist Joli Ballew explains how to install MSN Messenger, set up a webcam
    > and microphone, and have video conversations.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/ballew_video.mspx
    >
    > Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

    > Katie Skibinski
    > Site manager, vendor [MS]

    John,

    I've searched for a bit here and have not found anything that resembles your
    particular problem with your particular Sitecom Voicecam. However, Sitecom
    does have a support page, where you can type a question and get an email
    answer. This might be a good place to start.
    http://www.sitecom.com/support2.php

    Perhaps you also should double check your settings in Control Panel>Sounds
    and Audio. Make sure under the Audio tab and Voice tab that the sliders are
    all the way up for your input device. Check the Advanced properties for each
    too. From the Hardware tab, you can troubleshoot any device as well.

    I'm not sure if any of this will work, and some may say that it has to do
    with your older USB 1.0 device, but I can't find anything about that
    anywhere. See if the previous tips help, and let me know. I'll keep an eye on
    this thread.

    Joli

    "John Nic" wrote:

    > I have just installed ver 7 of messenger and followed install guide as per
    > Joli. When i do the mic check only a small (about1/10) of the vertical
    > column shows green - no other colour. I have a SITECOM voicecam which plugs
    > into a usb port (i have older usb ver 1.0). I tried a video message with rel
    > in US and we both had video and i could hear him talking but he could not
    > hear me. The small bars to the rhs of his video image showed green but mine
    > had no colour. Can anyone help please.
    >

    > "Katie Skibinski" wrote:
    >
    > > New Column: How to have a video conversation with MSN Messenger
    > >
    > > Columnist Joli Ballew explains how to install MSN Messenger, set up a webcam
    > > and microphone, and have video conversations.
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/ballew_video.mspx
    > >
    > > Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

    > > --
    > > Katie Skibinski
    > > Site manager, vendor [MS]

Video MSN Messenger Windows XP