How to re-encode a Divx movie with AC3 sound?

Archived from groups: alt.video.divx,rec.video.desktop,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I have an avi movie with AC3 sound. Now I want to shrink this movie (in order to let it fit onto a CD).
Which tools can I use to achieve this task (to re-encode this movie at another bitrate resp audio level)?

If the movie would use MP3 I could use VirtualDub and DivX (6.0).

Unfortunately DiVX (and VirtualDub) are not
suitable to handle AC3 sound tracks.

What other possibilities exist?

Rod

Archived from groups: alt.video.divx,rec.video.desktop,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

On a sunny day (12 Jul 2005 09:32:30 GMT) it happened rnewton12@yahoo.com (Rod
Newton) wrote in <42d38e2e$0$20135$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net>:

>I have an avi movie with AC3 sound. Now I want to shrink this movie (in order to let it fit onto a CD).
>Which tools can I use to achieve this task (to re-encode this movie at another bitrate resp audio level)?
>
>If the movie would use MP3 I could use VirtualDub and DivX (6.0).
>
>Unfortunately DiVX (and VirtualDub) are not
>suitable to handle AC3 sound tracks.
>
>What other possibilities exist?
>
>Rod
Convert the AC3 (multi channel?) to mp3 stereo?
What OS do you use?
In Linux this is very simple, use a52dec followed by lame.
Demux with mplayer perhaps.
Remux with tcmplex-panteltje.
In MS windows I really dunno.
Almost never use it, always problems.
panteltje:~# uptime
2:00pm up 23 days, 3:28, 10 users, load average: 0.93, 0.89, 0.83

Archived from groups: alt.video.divx,rec.video.desktop,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

On a sunny day (12 Jul 2005 09:32:30 GMT) it happened rnewton12@yahoo.com (Rod
Newton) wrote in <42d38e2e$0$20135$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net>:

>Demux with mplayer perhaps.
Correction:
Remux with transcode.
In MS windows I really dunno.
Almost never use it, always problems.
panteltje:~# uptime
2:10pm up 23 days, 3:38, 11 users, load average: 0.86, 0.89, 0.84