Live Video/Data Capture?

ryann

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2004

I am somewhat new to this field, but need to put together a system
with the following requirements and was looking for some tips. First
the software:

I need to capture live video to a PC while also logging some other
timestamped data (position, temperature, pressure, etc) via a serial
connection. The timestamping and some of the data is coming from a GPS
and some other instruments.
I would like to record this video and data directly to the hard drive.
Video captures may be up to several hours long (but probably very
compressable). Video quality isn't extremely important.
I would like to be able to play back the video, while displaying the
data captured at the time the video was taken.
Any video editing will be basic.
It would be nice to be able to capture more than one video stream at a
time.

Now the hardware:
The good news is that we don't own it yet.
The bad news is that it will be used outdoors in a damp environment,
so I'm thinking rack mounted or shoebox in a big pelican case with
some sort of cooling system. Lower power use would be nice.

So, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.video.production,aus.photo (More info?)

ryan.neve@mindspring.com (RyanN) wrote in message news:<a4057092.0406281029.6c0eaef2@posting.google.com>...
> I am somewhat new to this field, but need to put together a system
> with the following requirements and was looking for some tips. First
> the software:
>
> I need to capture live video to a PC while also logging some other
> timestamped data (position, temperature, pressure, etc) via a serial
> connection. The timestamping and some of the data is coming from a GPS
> and some other instruments.
> I would like to record this video and data directly to the hard drive.
> Video captures may be up to several hours long (but probably very
> compressable). Video quality isn't extremely important.
> I would like to be able to play back the video, while displaying the
> data captured at the time the video was taken.
> Any video editing will be basic.
> It would be nice to be able to capture more than one video stream at a
> time.
>
> Now the hardware:
> The good news is that we don't own it yet.
> The bad news is that it will be used outdoors in a damp environment,
> so I'm thinking rack mounted or shoebox in a big pelican case with
> some sort of cooling system. Lower power use would be nice.
>
> So, can anyone point me in the right direction?

The right direction? Buy the new Sigma video camera with the Foveon
X75v sensor. It should be their in the stores next month. Not only
will this camera give you better quality video than any 3 chip camera
made but it also will record in exremely low light better than any
other camera. It will come with a full editing software suite
developed by Borden Software and all the cables and hardware, and even
a new Foveon video card for your choice of PC/Mac/Linux.

In rec.video.production Jorge Prediguez <jorge@iamgr8.com> wrote:
> ryan.neve@mindspring.com (RyanN) wrote in message news:<a4057092.0406281029.6c0eaef2@posting.google.com>...
>> I am somewhat new to this field, but need to put together a system
>> with the following requirements and was looking for some tips. First
>> the software:
>>
>> I need to capture live video to a PC while also logging some other
>> timestamped data (position, temperature, pressure, etc) via a serial
>> connection. The timestamping and some of the data is coming from a GPS
>> and some other instruments.
>> I would like to record this video and data directly to the hard drive.
>> Video captures may be up to several hours long (but probably very
>> compressable). Video quality isn't extremely important.
>> I would like to be able to play back the video, while displaying the
>> data captured at the time the video was taken.
>> Any video editing will be basic.
>> It would be nice to be able to capture more than one video stream at a
>> time.
>>
>> Now the hardware:
>> The good news is that we don't own it yet.
>> The bad news is that it will be used outdoors in a damp environment,
>> so I'm thinking rack mounted or shoebox in a big pelican case with
>> some sort of cooling system. Lower power use would be nice.
>>
>> So, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I had to do a very similar thing. A high altitude balloon (130,000 feet)
with cameras and other instrumentation. What I ended up doing is to have one
system that logs the accessory data by timestamping with GPS time, and
get the video with a GPS-based Time Code. When on the ground I have a
data stream with GPS time and a video that has GPS-based time code.

Paolo

> The right direction? Buy the new Sigma video camera with the Foveon
> X75v sensor. It should be their in the stores next month. Not only
> will this camera give you better quality video than any 3 chip camera
> made but it also will record in exremely low light better than any
> other camera. It will come with a full editing software suite
> developed by Borden Software and all the cables and hardware, and even
> a new Foveon video card for your choice of PC/Mac/Linux.

Rich

"Jorge Prediguez" <jorge@iamgr8.com> wrote in message
> ryan.neve@mindspring.com (RyanN) wrote in message
> > I am somewhat new to this field, but need to put together a system
> > with the following requirements and was looking for some tips. First
> > the software:
> >
> > I need to capture live video to a PC while also logging some other
> > timestamped data (position, temperature, pressure, etc) via a serial
> > connection. The timestamping and some of the data is coming from a GPS
> > and some other instruments.
> > I would like to record this video and data directly to the hard drive.
> > Video captures may be up to several hours long (but probably very
> > compressable). Video quality isn't extremely important.
> > I would like to be able to play back the video, while displaying the
> > data captured at the time the video was taken.
> > Any video editing will be basic.
> > It would be nice to be able to capture more than one video stream at a
> > time.
> >
> > Now the hardware:
> > The good news is that we don't own it yet.
> > The bad news is that it will be used outdoors in a damp environment,
> > so I'm thinking rack mounted or shoebox in a big pelican case with
> > some sort of cooling system. Lower power use would be nice.
> >
> > So, can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> The right direction? Buy the new Sigma video camera with the Foveon
> X75v sensor. It should be their in the stores next month. Not only
> will this camera give you better quality video than any 3 chip camera
> made but it also will record in exremely low light better than any
> other camera. It will come with a full editing software suite
> developed by Borden Software and all the cables and hardware, and even
> a new Foveon video card for your choice of PC/Mac/Linux.

Cross posting troll...

Do you have a web site with model, specs, prices and where to buy? He
needs to capture live video. You offer nothing.

Rich

ryann

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production,aus.photo (More info?)

Paolo Bellutta <bellutta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<40e36323$0$569$b45e6eb0@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>...
> In rec.video.production Jorge Prediguez <jorge@iamgr8.com> wrote:
> > ryan.neve@mindspring.com (RyanN) wrote in message news:<a4057092.0406281029.6c0eaef2@posting.google.com>...
> >> I am somewhat new to this field, but need to put together a system
> >> with the following requirements and was looking for some tips. First
> >> the software:
> >>
> >> I need to capture live video to a PC while also logging some other
> >> timestamped data (position, temperature, pressure, etc) via a serial
> >> connection. The timestamping and some of the data is coming from a GPS
> >> and some other instruments.
> >> I would like to record this video and data directly to the hard drive.
> >> Video captures may be up to several hours long (but probably very
> >> compressable). Video quality isn't extremely important.
> >> I would like to be able to play back the video, while displaying the
> >> data captured at the time the video was taken.
> >> Any video editing will be basic.
> >> It would be nice to be able to capture more than one video stream at a
> >> time.
> >>
> >> Now the hardware:
> >> The good news is that we don't own it yet.
> >> The bad news is that it will be used outdoors in a damp environment,
> >> so I'm thinking rack mounted or shoebox in a big pelican case with
> >> some sort of cooling system. Lower power use would be nice.
> >>
> >> So, can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> I had to do a very similar thing. A high altitude balloon (130,000 feet)
> with cameras and other instrumentation. What I ended up doing is to have one
> system that logs the accessory data by timestamping with GPS time, and
> get the video with a GPS-based Time Code. When on the ground I have a
> data stream with GPS time and a video that has GPS-based time code.
>
> Paolo

That sounds close to what I want to do. What format did you use for
your video, and what software. I imagine I can sync the computer with
the GPS, and use the computer's time for timestamping the video as
well as the data. I have the ability curently using a device from
harita (sp?) to timecode (and overlay a position) the video, but this
timecode can't be easily extracted digitally.
The cameras (which we already have) are underwater cameras with a NTSC
output.
-Ryan

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production,aus.photo (More info?)

Check out littlepc.com- there is a fanless model. Also
linuxmedialabs.com or anything to do with video for linux- if you
don't need to capture smpte then it should be a piece of cake, from
the command line.