Audio distortion in the timeline/storyboard

I've seen this question asked before but haven't seen a solution that worked
for me yet.

I have an AVI file that was captured from a DV video camera that sounds fine
in Windows Media Player. It sounds fine in preview mode in Windows Movie
Maker too. But as soon as I add it to my storyboard it sounds like some kind
of really bad compression is being done - the sound is ruined.

I tried extracting the sound and creating wav files of various sample rates
and at 16-bit sound. Every time the wav file sounded fine in preview but was
distorted in the timeline.

Can any one tell me why it might be different in the timeline than it is in
the preview and what can I do to fix it?
4 answers Last reply
More about audio distortion timeline storyboard

    Have you tried saving the whole movie as a hq wmv file, then importing this
    back in to the audio track?

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I've seen this question asked before but haven't seen a solution that
    > worked
    > for me yet.
    >
    > I have an AVI file that was captured from a DV video camera that sounds
    > fine
    > in Windows Media Player. It sounds fine in preview mode in Windows Movie
    > Maker too. But as soon as I add it to my storyboard it sounds like some
    > kind
    > of really bad compression is being done - the sound is ruined.
    >
    > I tried extracting the sound and creating wav files of various sample
    > rates
    > and at 16-bit sound. Every time the wav file sounded fine in preview but
    > was
    > distorted in the timeline.
    >
    > Can any one tell me why it might be different in the timeline than it is
    > in
    > the preview and what can I do to fix it?

    Well I tried that after you suggested it and no joy. The saved hq wmv file
    that Movie Maker saved had the tinny, glitchy sound. I also found that when I
    create soundtracks with mp3s the sound is ruined when I finally create a
    movie even though in this case the mp3 sounds fine in the timeline.

    Would it be fair to say that Windows Media Player is not good with audio at
    all? I'm close enough to giving up on it now.

    PS. The audio on the captured clip is 16-bit, 32kHz stereo.
    Are my problems codec related maybe?

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > Have you tried saving the whole movie as a hq wmv file, then importing this
    > back in to the audio track?
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I've seen this question asked before but haven't seen a solution that
    > > worked
    > > for me yet.
    > >
    > > I have an AVI file that was captured from a DV video camera that sounds
    > > fine
    > > in Windows Media Player. It sounds fine in preview mode in Windows Movie
    > > Maker too. But as soon as I add it to my storyboard it sounds like some
    > > kind
    > > of really bad compression is being done - the sound is ruined.
    > >
    > > I tried extracting the sound and creating wav files of various sample
    > > rates
    > > and at 16-bit sound. Every time the wav file sounded fine in preview but
    > > was
    > > distorted in the timeline.
    > >
    > > Can any one tell me why it might be different in the timeline than it is
    > > in
    > > the preview and what can I do to fix it?

    "Would it be fair to say that Windows Media Player is not good with audio at
    all?" - Sorry I meant Movie Maker not Media Player.

    "Mark" wrote:

    > Well I tried that after you suggested it and no joy. The saved hq wmv file
    > that Movie Maker saved had the tinny, glitchy sound. I also found that when I
    > create soundtracks with mp3s the sound is ruined when I finally create a
    > movie even though in this case the mp3 sounds fine in the timeline.
    >
    > Would it be fair to say that Windows Media Player is not good with audio at
    > all? I'm close enough to giving up on it now.
    >
    > PS. The audio on the captured clip is 16-bit, 32kHz stereo.
    > Are my problems codec related maybe?
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    > > Have you tried saving the whole movie as a hq wmv file, then importing this
    > > back in to the audio track?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP Digital Media
    > > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > www.simplydv.com
    > >

    > > "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > I've seen this question asked before but haven't seen a solution that
    > > > worked
    > > > for me yet.
    > > >
    > > > I have an AVI file that was captured from a DV video camera that sounds
    > > > fine
    > > > in Windows Media Player. It sounds fine in preview mode in Windows Movie
    > > > Maker too. But as soon as I add it to my storyboard it sounds like some
    > > > kind
    > > > of really bad compression is being done - the sound is ruined.
    > > >
    > > > I tried extracting the sound and creating wav files of various sample
    > > > rates
    > > > and at 16-bit sound. Every time the wav file sounded fine in preview but
    > > > was
    > > > distorted in the timeline.
    > > >
    > > > Can any one tell me why it might be different in the timeline than it is
    > > > in
    > > > the preview and what can I do to fix it?

    I read it as movie maker!! :)

    MP3's often have problems, and it's best to use 48khz, give that a whirl
    and see. MM is only a starter app, and there are problems, but then I also
    answer lots of queries on other forums and all the apps have trouble, I'd
    say it's mostly down to the large differences in everyones pc's, both
    hardware and software.

    --

    > "Would it be fair to say that Windows Media Player is not good with audio
    > at
    > all?" - Sorry I meant Movie Maker not Media Player.
    >

    > "Mark" wrote:
    >
    >> Well I tried that after you suggested it and no joy. The saved hq wmv
    >> file
    >> that Movie Maker saved had the tinny, glitchy sound. I also found that
    >> when I
    >> create soundtracks with mp3s the sound is ruined when I finally create a
    >> movie even though in this case the mp3 sounds fine in the timeline.
    >>
    >> Would it be fair to say that Windows Media Player is not good with audio
    >> at
    >> all? I'm close enough to giving up on it now.
    >>
    >> PS. The audio on the captured clip is 16-bit, 32kHz stereo.
    >> Are my problems codec related maybe?
    >>
    >> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Have you tried saving the whole movie as a hq wmv file, then importing
    >> > this
    >> > back in to the audio track?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Graham Hughes