Camera Help

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
December 24, 2004 1:01:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.

1) Kodak dx6490
2) Olympus C-765 UZ
3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3

Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
1/1000,
1/1700,
1/2000

Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
something I really need?

The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size of the
picture
and not picture quality.

Which one of the three should I buy.

--
javatek?@usa.com

remove the ? to reply.

More about : camera

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 3:48:15 PM

Redd wrote:
> I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
> buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
>
> 1) Kodak dx6490
> 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
> 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
>
> Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
> 1/1000,
> 1/1700,
> 1/2000
>
> Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
> something I really need?
>
> The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
> Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size of the
> picture
> and not picture quality.
>
> Which one of the three should I buy.

The good news is:
You can't go wrong no matter which one you choose.
The bad news is:
No matter which one you choose, you will always have nagging doubts if
you did the right thing.
Go to a big camera shop and HANDLE each camera.
Photos on websites really don't cut it.
You have to see how it feels in your hands, the size, the heft, etc.
Technically, they are all excellent cameras. The ultimate choice may be
based on size, aesthetics, ergonomics, etc.
How many of us REALLY buy a car based on purely technical considerations?
Bob Williams
December 24, 2004 4:14:45 PM

Redd wrote:
> I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
> buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
>
> 1) Kodak dx6490
> 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
> 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
>
> Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
> 1/1000,
> 1/1700,
> 1/2000

I don't think it will make a difference, unless you have some very unual
shots in mind.

> Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
> something I really need?

Manual focus can help. For example, most digicams focus poorly in low
light; the exception is the ones htta have a built-in light for
focusung. And in some pictures, you may want to focus on apsecific
part of the picture, or just on the background.

> The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
> Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size of the
> picture
> and not picture quality.

The extra pixels can give better prints for sizes above 8X10, or if you
want to do a lot of cropping. But even then the difference is not
huge,with only a 15% difference in the number of pixels in height and
width.

> Which one of the three should I buy.
>

> --
> javatek?@usa.com
>
> remove the ? to reply.

December 24, 2004 9:02:47 PM

Redd wrote:
> I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
> buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
>
> 1) Kodak dx6490
> 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
> 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
>
> Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
> 1/1000,
> 1/1700,
> 1/2000

The one that works for you. It looks like these are the fastest shutter
speed for the cameras. The while faster is "better" the real life
difference between the slowest 1/1,000 and the fastest is not all that much
and you may never end up using even the 1/1,000 sec speed as long as you own
the camera.

> Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
> something I really need?

My guess is, since you had to ask, is no. I would miss it, but most
users will never miss it and will either never use it or if they do, they
would do better on auto.

> The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
> Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size
> of the picture
> and not picture quality.

All else being equal the difference is not the size of the picture, they
can all make the same size prints, but rather the quality of the results,
especially for the larger size prints. However all else is never equal and
the difference between 3 and 4 megapixels is noticeable it is not great.
There are other quality factors that could overcome that difference.

I don't have the link, but keep checking back, someone will give you the
link to a web page that will detail the differences and should even show you
some results from each.

I suggest that before you buy that you take a real life look at the
cameras. Hold it in your hands and see how it feels. That is a more
important factor than most people think. If it does not fit it is not right
for you.

> Which one of the three should I buy.

The one that works best for you. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
December 25, 2004 10:17:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

Go the Olynpus C - 770
I love it...

"Redd" <javatek?@usa.com> wrote in message
> I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
> buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
>
> 1) Kodak dx6490
> 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
> 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
>
> Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
> 1/1000,
> 1/1700,
> 1/2000
>
> Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
> something I really need?
>
> The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
> Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size of
> the
> picture
> and not picture quality.
>
> Which one of the three should I buy.
>

> --
> javatek?@usa.com
>
> remove the ? to reply.

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 11:16:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

we have a Kodak 6490 - my dad has the Olympus. both are great. I prefer
larger screen. father prefers smaller size of the oly., as others say - go
feel and then decide.

"Redd" <javatek?@usa.com> wrote in message
> I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
> buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
>
> 1) Kodak dx6490
> 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
> 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
>
> Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
> 1/1000,
> 1/1700,
> 1/2000
>
> Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
> something I really need?
>
> The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
> Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size of
> the
> picture
> and not picture quality.
>
> Which one of the three should I buy.
>

> --
> javatek?@usa.com
>
> remove the ? to reply.

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 1:32:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

"Redd" <javatek?@usa.com> wrote in message
> I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
> buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
>
> 1) Kodak dx6490
> 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
> 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
>
> Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
> 1/1000,
> 1/1700,
> 1/2000
>
> Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
> something I really need?
>
> The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
> Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size of
the
> picture
> and not picture quality.
>
> Which one of the three should I buy.
>

> --
> javatek?@usa.com
>
> remove the ? to reply.

I have a Fuji S5500 10 x optical 3 x digital zoom with 1/2000 shutter
speed and I am having great fun with it
January 1, 2005 11:44:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

Thanks you and the rest of the posters for replying. I decided
to by the Kodak DX6490, more features for the buck. I got the
camera, carrying case and 256m fast memory card all for
US $389.00 delivered from BuyDig.com

--
javatek?@usa.com

remove the ? to reply.
"Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Redd wrote:
> I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
> buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
>
> 1) Kodak dx6490
> 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
> 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
>
> Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
> 1/1000,
> 1/1700,
> 1/2000

The one that works for you. It looks like these are the fastest shutter
speed for the cameras. The while faster is "better" the real life
difference between the slowest 1/1,000 and the fastest is not all that much
and you may never end up using even the 1/1,000 sec speed as long as you own
the camera.

> Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
> something I really need?

My guess is, since you had to ask, is no. I would miss it, but most
users will never miss it and will either never use it or if they do, they
would do better on auto.

> The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
> Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size
> of the picture
> and not picture quality.

All else being equal the difference is not the size of the picture, they
can all make the same size prints, but rather the quality of the results,
especially for the larger size prints. However all else is never equal and
the difference between 3 and 4 megapixels is noticeable it is not great.
There are other quality factors that could overcome that difference.

I don't have the link, but keep checking back, someone will give you the
link to a web page that will detail the differences and should even show you
some results from each.

I suggest that before you buy that you take a real life look at the
cameras. Hold it in your hands and see how it feels. That is a more
important factor than most people think. If it does not fit it is not right
for you.

> Which one of the three should I buy.

The one that works best for you. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 7:10:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

hope that yew enjoy it.

!