Camera Help

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.

1) Kodak dx6490
2) Olympus C-765 UZ
3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3

Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
1/1000,
1/1700,
1/2000

Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
something I really need?

The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size of the
picture
and not picture quality.

Which one of the three should I buy.

--
javatek?@usa.com

remove the ? to reply.
8 answers Last reply
More about camera help
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

    Redd wrote:
    > I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
    > buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
    >
    > 1) Kodak dx6490
    > 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
    > 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
    >
    > Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
    > 1/1000,
    > 1/1700,
    > 1/2000
    >
    > Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
    > something I really need?
    >
    > The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
    > Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size of the
    > picture
    > and not picture quality.
    >
    > Which one of the three should I buy.

    The good news is:
    You can't go wrong no matter which one you choose.
    The bad news is:
    No matter which one you choose, you will always have nagging doubts if
    you did the right thing.
    Go to a big camera shop and HANDLE each camera.
    Photos on websites really don't cut it.
    You have to see how it feels in your hands, the size, the heft, etc.
    Technically, they are all excellent cameras. The ultimate choice may be
    based on size, aesthetics, ergonomics, etc.
    How many of us REALLY buy a car based on purely technical considerations?
    Bob Williams
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

    Redd wrote:
    > I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
    > buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
    >
    > 1) Kodak dx6490
    > 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
    > 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
    >
    > Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
    > 1/1000,
    > 1/1700,
    > 1/2000

    I don't think it will make a difference, unless you have some very unual
    shots in mind.

    > Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
    > something I really need?

    Manual focus can help. For example, most digicams focus poorly in low
    light; the exception is the ones htta have a built-in light for
    focusung. And in some pictures, you may want to focus on apsecific
    part of the picture, or just on the background.

    > The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
    > Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size of the
    > picture
    > and not picture quality.

    The extra pixels can give better prints for sizes above 8X10, or if you
    want to do a lot of cropping. But even then the difference is not
    huge,with only a 15% difference in the number of pixels in height and
    width.

    > Which one of the three should I buy.
    >

    > --
    > javatek?@usa.com
    >
    > remove the ? to reply.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

    Redd wrote:
    > I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
    > buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
    >
    > 1) Kodak dx6490
    > 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
    > 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
    >
    > Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
    > 1/1000,
    > 1/1700,
    > 1/2000

    The one that works for you. It looks like these are the fastest shutter
    speed for the cameras. The while faster is "better" the real life
    difference between the slowest 1/1,000 and the fastest is not all that much
    and you may never end up using even the 1/1,000 sec speed as long as you own
    the camera.

    > Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
    > something I really need?

    My guess is, since you had to ask, is no. I would miss it, but most
    users will never miss it and will either never use it or if they do, they
    would do better on auto.

    > The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
    > Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size
    > of the picture
    > and not picture quality.

    All else being equal the difference is not the size of the picture, they
    can all make the same size prints, but rather the quality of the results,
    especially for the larger size prints. However all else is never equal and
    the difference between 3 and 4 megapixels is noticeable it is not great.
    There are other quality factors that could overcome that difference.

    I don't have the link, but keep checking back, someone will give you the
    link to a web page that will detail the differences and should even show you
    some results from each.

    I suggest that before you buy that you take a real life look at the
    cameras. Hold it in your hands and see how it feels. That is a more
    important factor than most people think. If it does not fit it is not right
    for you.

    > Which one of the three should I buy.

    The one that works best for you. :-)

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

    Go the Olynpus C - 770
    I love it...

    "Redd" <javatek?@usa.com> wrote in message
    > I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
    > buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
    >
    > 1) Kodak dx6490
    > 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
    > 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
    >
    > Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
    > 1/1000,
    > 1/1700,
    > 1/2000
    >
    > Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
    > something I really need?
    >
    > The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
    > Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size of
    > the
    > picture
    > and not picture quality.
    >
    > Which one of the three should I buy.
    >

    > --
    > javatek?@usa.com
    >
    > remove the ? to reply.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

    we have a Kodak 6490 - my dad has the Olympus. both are great. I prefer
    larger screen. father prefers smaller size of the oly., as others say - go
    feel and then decide.

    "Redd" <javatek?@usa.com> wrote in message
    > I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
    > buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
    >
    > 1) Kodak dx6490
    > 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
    > 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
    >
    > Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
    > 1/1000,
    > 1/1700,
    > 1/2000
    >
    > Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
    > something I really need?
    >
    > The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
    > Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size of
    > the
    > picture
    > and not picture quality.
    >
    > Which one of the three should I buy.
    >

    > --
    > javatek?@usa.com
    >
    > remove the ? to reply.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

    "Redd" <javatek?@usa.com> wrote in message
    > I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
    > buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
    >
    > 1) Kodak dx6490
    > 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
    > 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
    >
    > Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
    > 1/1000,
    > 1/1700,
    > 1/2000
    >
    > Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
    > something I really need?
    >
    > The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
    > Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size of
    the
    > picture
    > and not picture quality.
    >
    > Which one of the three should I buy.
    >

    > --
    > javatek?@usa.com
    >
    > remove the ? to reply.

    I have a Fuji S5500 10 x optical 3 x digital zoom with 1/2000 shutter
    speed and I am having great fun with it
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

    Thanks you and the rest of the posters for replying. I decided
    to by the Kodak DX6490, more features for the buck. I got the
    camera, carrying case and 256m fast memory card all for
    US $389.00 delivered from BuyDig.com

    --
    javatek?@usa.com

    remove the ? to reply.
    "Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Redd wrote:
    > I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
    > buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
    >
    > 1) Kodak dx6490
    > 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
    > 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
    >
    > Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
    > 1/1000,
    > 1/1700,
    > 1/2000

    The one that works for you. It looks like these are the fastest shutter
    speed for the cameras. The while faster is "better" the real life
    difference between the slowest 1/1,000 and the fastest is not all that much
    and you may never end up using even the 1/1,000 sec speed as long as you own
    the camera.

    > Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
    > something I really need?

    My guess is, since you had to ask, is no. I would miss it, but most
    users will never miss it and will either never use it or if they do, they
    would do better on auto.

    > The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
    > Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size
    > of the picture
    > and not picture quality.

    All else being equal the difference is not the size of the picture, they
    can all make the same size prints, but rather the quality of the results,
    especially for the larger size prints. However all else is never equal and
    the difference between 3 and 4 megapixels is noticeable it is not great.
    There are other quality factors that could overcome that difference.

    I don't have the link, but keep checking back, someone will give you the
    link to a web page that will detail the differences and should even show you
    some results from each.

    I suggest that before you buy that you take a real life look at the
    cameras. Hold it in your hands and see how it feels. That is a more
    important factor than most people think. If it does not fit it is not right
    for you.

    > Which one of the three should I buy.

    The one that works best for you. :-)

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

    hope that yew enjoy it.

    > Thanks you and the rest of the posters for replying. I decided
    > to by the Kodak DX6490, more features for the buck. I got the
    > camera, carrying case and 256m fast memory card all for
    > US $389.00 delivered from BuyDig.com
    >

    > --
    > javatek?@usa.com
    >
    > remove the ? to reply.
    > "Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Redd wrote:
    >> I,m looking to buy a zoom digital camera. But am not sure what to
    >> buy. I have narrowed to three cameras.
    >>
    >> 1) Kodak dx6490
    >> 2) Olympus C-765 UZ
    >> 3) Panasonic DMC-FZ3
    >>
    >> Three questions: Which is better shutter speed?
    >> 1/1000,
    >> 1/1700,
    >> 1/2000
    >
    > The one that works for you. It looks like these are the fastest
    > shutter
    > speed for the cameras. The while faster is "better" the real life
    > difference between the slowest 1/1,000 and the fastest is not all that
    > much
    > and you may never end up using even the 1/1,000 sec speed as long as you
    > own
    > the camera.
    >

    >> Olympus is only camera with manual focus. Is manual focus
    >> something I really need?
    >
    > My guess is, since you had to ask, is no. I would miss it, but most
    > users will never miss it and will either never use it or if they do, they
    > would do better on auto.
    >

    >> The Panasonic is 3 megapixels while the other two are 4 megapixels.
    >> Is that a beig deal ? From what I can tell that only effects the size
    >> of the picture
    >> and not picture quality.
    >
    > All else being equal the difference is not the size of the picture,
    > they
    > can all make the same size prints, but rather the quality of the results,
    > especially for the larger size prints. However all else is never equal
    > and
    > the difference between 3 and 4 megapixels is noticeable it is not great.
    > There are other quality factors that could overcome that difference.
    >
    > I don't have the link, but keep checking back, someone will give you
    > the
    > link to a web page that will detail the differences and should even show
    > you
    > some results from each.
    >
    > I suggest that before you buy that you take a real life look at the
    > cameras. Hold it in your hands and see how it feels. That is a more
    > important factor than most people think. If it does not fit it is not
    > right
    > for you.
    >

    >> Which one of the three should I buy.
    >
    > The one that works best for you. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Cameras Photo Olympus Panasonic Peripherals