Laptop video display to Projector only works with XP admin..

chrisb

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004

I've hit a strange problem with a friends laptop that I was asked to
sort out. A standard Powerpoint or any other display displays fine
onto an attached data projector. When displaying moving video, it
displays fine on the laptop screen, but will ONLY display on the
projector when I'm logged in as an administrator user. I've tested it
it with different video software (Real, QuickTime, PowerDVD, Media
Player), and also created new user accounts some with with admin and
some with restricted rights. The problem is completely repeatable,
video only shows up on the projector with admin accounts. I even
copied all the settings from a working admin account (via the transfer
files & settings wizard) to a restricted account and it still only
displayed on the laptop.
Any ideas? OS is XP Home SP2

For laptops there is usually no overlay support on the external video

out. You can get around the problem by disabling hardware

acceleration in the display properties. Some DVD players however,

will fail to play if there is no overlay available.

Or make the tv the primary monitor, which has overlay support, but remember
to change it back.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"ChrisB" <chrismbradley@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've hit a strange problem with a friends laptop that I was asked to
> sort out. A standard Powerpoint or any other display displays fine
> onto an attached data projector. When displaying moving video, it
> displays fine on the laptop screen, but will ONLY display on the
> projector when I'm logged in as an administrator user. I've tested it
> it with different video software (Real, QuickTime, PowerDVD, Media
> Player), and also created new user accounts some with with admin and
> some with restricted rights. The problem is completely repeatable,
> video only shows up on the projector with admin accounts. I even
> copied all the settings from a working admin account (via the transfer
> files & settings wizard) to a restricted account and it still only
> displayed on the laptop.
> Any ideas? OS is XP Home SP2

chrisb

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004

I also tried disabling hardware acceleration & still the "Guest"
account wouldn't play video through the projector but was ok playing on
the laptop screen. The "Admin" account still worked fine on both.

Maybe the guest account doesn't have priveleges to change these items?