How do I dual boot XP- WIN 7 without a dvd drive?

elistuy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I have a simple xp 32 computer and would like to dual boot (from a partition) with windows 7. my problem seems to lie in whether i have enable my usb to be bootable as a dvd install of windows 7. it seems very complicated, and i am interested in figuring out whether it was possible to simply create the partition (with gpart) than in windows mount windows 7 and when it asks where it wants to be installed, I would than chose my new partition.

I dont know... (dont want to screw up)
I hope this makes sense...

I really would like to try widows 7, and any help would be very much appreciated

and instructions or hints would be nice

thanks all!

techdeuce

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
If you got the iso extract it to a usb key... Thats about it. Just have to make sure your PC bios has the option to boot from smart media/usb drive. STill might have to do some fancy partition footwork depending on how your partitions are currently configured.

elistuy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
wait... i have been reading that it is very difficult to make the usb bootable... is there any way of just choosing the partition (created by gparted) in an install from a virtual drive in xp?

also if i just straight install it over my os, will i lose all my documents and programs?

techdeuce

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
usb bootable is based on the bios of the motherboard you are using, AND extracting the ISO image properly to said usb drive. Partition stuff is all different for every application/pc setup, not sure what you have setup and it sounds like you are on the edge of the cliff with that part so take a step back. If you install over top, it will not be happy, but may work. Usually you wont lose stuff.
With your setup though why do you want to install it? why not do it in a virtual pc desktop if you are wanting to just check it out? Its beta anyway so you have to uninstall it in 180 days. You can download microsoft virtual pc for free and install windows 7 to it straight from the iso image.

elistuy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
i have a very slow pc so i really want to see a fair speed difference (p4 2.0, 1gb ram, integrated graphics- no dvd drive)

-do you know if i can install from inside xp (as a dual boot)...

also how would i go about creating a bootable usb- i saw some instructions that required a whole mess of steps... not sure if it would be worth the effort

again if i install over xp- not dual boot, will i lose on my documents?

hey thanks for your time and opinions!

techdeuce

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

My words are in caps above.
If you havent installed dozens of OS's on dozens of different computers, don't do it. Find a friend that can help.
Why are you wanting to install it anyways?
You would be better off unplugging your hard drive and finding a cheap 80gb one to test with windows 7. Find a DVD reader for $20 and have at it. Depends on what you feel your time is worth. I would have bought an old hard drive and dvd drive by now.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Extract the Windows7 32bit ISO to a folder.
Open the folder and copy all the files and paste to your formatted partition.
Double click the exe. (Setup-Windows Installer) The one on the new partition.

elistuy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
hey again, thanks techdeuce
and now also Knotknut

my primary objective is just to try the new os

i am not very experienced in these matters, but really cant resist the temptation to try something fresh

-i tried ubuntu with limited success, the graphics drivers didnt support my very old intel integrated mobo

oh well, I will look in to further ways of creating a bootable drive
and will use gparted to create the partition

in case you are interested... i was following the instructions (link below) but got pretty lost at step 5 and forward....

the website:

http://www.blogsdna.com/2016/how-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-drive-without-windows-7-iso-dvd.htm

thanks again!!

techdeuce

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Just to test do the virtual PC method, no lost files, no dvd drive needed. No partition messups. You download Microsoft virtual pc, install it. CReate a virtual machine with a virtual hard drive. Attach the ISO image to it. Boot the virtual machine and it installs the windows. You get to mess with it and flip between xp and the virtual machine (just a window on your XP)

elistuy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
ok,

i got really far... but am stuck.

i got my pc bios to boot from the usb and I followed all the instructions...

but when it boots from the usb, all i get is a black screen with a blinking character line.

i believe the problem lies in the files i copied to the usb- should i copy an .iso file to the final usb, or should I copy the mounted files to the usb (ie the files that make the iso)??

thanks again!!!!!

Are you trying to run the OS on the USB drive? That is not possible. YOu need to create a local partition and install it there.

If you are trying to install the OS from the USB drive - Understand that transfer rates aren't going to be nearly as fast as a disc. Let it run for a while and do it;s thing.

elistuy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
i am definitely trying to install the os from usb...

i already made the hardrive partition- and i thought i created the boot usb but alas,
no such luck

i explain the problem earlier...

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Put the USB away. Copy and paste all the extracted files on your partition.
Double click on the new drive E: or whatever the new partition is, it opens, big blank window, paste all the extracted ISO files there, double click on the "Setup-Windows Installer" icon. Follow directions.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Yes, Dual Boot. You will have a menu at boot. Will say"Older version of Windows"
or "Windows 7". If you dont make a choice in the given time limit you will default boot to W7.

Install is straight forward. Know what drive letter your new partition is.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I had a Windows XP/Vista 64 dualboot setup.

1.) I downloaded Windows 7 as an ISO.
2.) I burned it to DVD.
3.) Then from Vista 64 I ran the dvd.
4.) It loaded Win 7 and automatically created the triple boot menu for me.

It changed XP to "Previous version of Windows" in my boot menu and I had to change it back. I used BCD edit to change it. You can also change the default boot order from within Vista or Windows 7 pretty easily. Don't try it from XP you will hose your boot sector data. Vista and W7 use a whole different boot system than XP.

The rule of thumb for Microsoft is its easy to add a newer OS and make a dual boot setup. Windows will do it for you automatically. It difficult to add an older OS as you have to manually configure BCD point to the correct files (NTLOADER) and add the OS's to the list.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009

Hi,
I ran the Windows 7 install from within Windows. I also selected my partition from within windows. I seemed to install all the files and rebooted. I can't tell you if it needed dvd access at reboot or not I don't think so. Running the installer from with in windows allowed it to automatically set up the multiboot menu. It probably would have done so anyways but I can't say for sure.

elistuy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
hey thanks Average joe-

so in your experience, have you found windows 7 automatically updating beta versions... or do you have to find every update on some torrent site?

thanks- I am looking to buy a dvd drive... but the idea of loading win7 through xp should work right?

blazinbear82

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
hmmm crazy. i tried to boot from usb for the longest time my bios seems to support it and i swear i followed usb booting procedure to a t. i even tried that hp boot program with no luck. my usb would flash but it would always come up with disk failure. tried ntfs fat 32 mmm bootsect options acitve partition yada yada. no luck. and i feel like im pretty experienced with windows. i mean i know how to install it run daemon tools virtual disks. all that good stuff. i give my self 8 out of 10. i also read that not all usb thumb drives could be made to boot. but theres nothing in the boxes that say whether their bootable or not. so i gave up on that. with my xp already partitioned i put vista iso and extracted its contents to my d: and proceded to upgrade but there was nothing on there that gave me a choice if i wanted to install to d:.. o i had no dvd drive by the way. ive installed numereous installation of windows before. im cheap and dont like to spend. so it seems vista didnt have that option it just decided to upgrade my xp. so now im about to try install windows 7 the same way by putting it on my d: partition and running from desktop. if it gives me a choice to put it on my d: i will complete the installation but i swear i dont remember such a thing in vista.

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I couldn't get my USB drive to boot up either. I couldn't install Windows 7 on my other hard drive without it. And the DVD boot was crippled. So I used Windows XP and popped in the Windows 7 disk and installed it on the other hard drive. Working great now ..... :lol: