"aquiring network address" (association but no connection)

Tim

association is what the linksys site calls it ... my computer with the
wireless adapter gets very good signal strength but when it tries and
connects it just says "aquring network address" then "limited or no
connectivity" i tried some of the solutions on the linksys site ie lowering
beacon interval, fragmentation threshold and some other setting ... it worked
for a short period of time then stopped working again all together ...
sometimes if i chage the beacon interval on my router and restart the
computer with the adapter it will work for a short period of time ... but its
like a guessing game. anyways does anyone know why im having this problem,
and how can i solve it? thanks for any help in advance.

Do you have SP2 installed? My wireless was doing the same thing and
after uninstalling SP2, it worked fine. I know other people in the
group are having some problems with SP2 and their wireless. If you do
not have SP2 installed, then I am not sure what your problem is, but
if you do have SP2 installed, trying unistalling it and see if that
works.

David

tim <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<884BFC03-BB57-4ABD-9EDF-D7D985E2F34E@microsoft.com>...
> association is what the linksys site calls it ... my computer with the
> wireless adapter gets very good signal strength but when it tries and
> connects it just says "aquring network address" then "limited or no
> connectivity" i tried some of the solutions on the linksys site ie lowering
> beacon interval, fragmentation threshold and some other setting ... it worked
> for a short period of time then stopped working again all together ...
> sometimes if i chage the beacon interval on my router and restart the
> computer with the adapter it will work for a short period of time ... but its
> like a guessing game. anyways does anyone know why im having this problem,
> and how can i solve it? thanks for any help in advance.

The "limited or no connectivity" message appears because after waiting for a
while, windows did not receive an IP address for your connection. In home
networks, the AP/router is usually responsible for handing out IP addresses.

To solve the problem try the following:
1) Make sure you have the most recent firmware for your router and also for
your wireless card(s).
2) Check your security settings on the wireless card and also on the
AP/router. For example, if you are using WEP then make sure that you have
the correct WEP key, and make sure the AP also has that same WEP key.
3) Check the router to make sure it is still configured properly as a DHCP
server so it hands out IP addresses.

--
Brandy Griffin, Microsoft

"tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> association is what the linksys site calls it ... my computer with the
> wireless adapter gets very good signal strength but when it tries and
> connects it just says "aquring network address" then "limited or no
> connectivity" i tried some of the solutions on the linksys site ie
> lowering
> beacon interval, fragmentation threshold and some other setting ... it
> worked
> for a short period of time then stopped working again all together ...
> sometimes if i chage the beacon interval on my router and restart the
> computer with the adapter it will work for a short period of time ... but
> its
> like a guessing game. anyways does anyone know why im having this problem,
> and how can i solve it? thanks for any help in advance.

Try eliminating all security settings and get that working first. Make sure
WEP/WPA is off, SSID is being broadcast, and that you are not doing any MAC
address filtering. Once you get it working, then decide which of these you
want to enable. WPA is better than WEP, but WEP works fine in a home
environment. I personally feel that if you are using WPA or WEP, turning
off the SSID or enable MAC filtering is a waste of time. Anyone competent
enough to hack into WPA or WEP is going to blow right by the SSID and MAC
filtering in just a few minutes.

Jeff

"tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> association is what the linksys site calls it ... my computer with the
> wireless adapter gets very good signal strength but when it tries and
> connects it just says "aquring network address" then "limited or no
> connectivity" i tried some of the solutions on the linksys site ie
> lowering
> beacon interval, fragmentation threshold and some other setting ... it
> worked
> for a short period of time then stopped working again all together ...
> sometimes if i chage the beacon interval on my router and restart the
> computer with the adapter it will work for a short period of time ... but
> its
> like a guessing game. anyways does anyone know why im having this problem,
> and how can i solve it? thanks for any help in advance.

Sam

To follow on from that, rather than fix...

I've been getting the same problem, and have yet to get to the bottom it.
The really weird thing with mine is that I tried the obvious resetting
everything, and powering back on, and when i do, I can get back into my
Router (a Linksys). I can then set up all the properties such as encryption,
channel, etc, HOWEVER, if I try and change the SSID from anything but the
default 'linksys', windows suddenly loses my network, and can't find it
again. Pretty crazy. I'd be interested in hearing any explanations/solutions.
I feel like uninstalling SP2 is a bit of a cop-out!

Sam

"tim" wrote:

> association is what the linksys site calls it ... my computer with the
> wireless adapter gets very good signal strength but when it tries and
> connects it just says "aquring network address" then "limited or no
> connectivity" i tried some of the solutions on the linksys site ie lowering
> beacon interval, fragmentation threshold and some other setting ... it worked
> for a short period of time then stopped working again all together ...
> sometimes if i chage the beacon interval on my router and restart the
> computer with the adapter it will work for a short period of time ... but its
> like a guessing game. anyways does anyone know why im having this problem,
> and how can i solve it? thanks for any help in advance.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I have a possible lead for you to look at. I had the same problem after
putting SP2 on my daughters latptop. I uninstalled it and it still had
problems. I re-installed it and the connections appeared. It was working
fine until I took the updates for MS Net Framework 1.0 SP3, MS Nete Framework
1.1 SP1, and MS GDI + Detection tool. I did not install these and it is
working fine still. It is one of these updates causing the problem. Try
removing them if possible or you might have to uninstall XP SP2 and reload
it, but don't take those updates. I haven't had time to load them one at a
time to see which one it is but I believe it's one or all of them. Hope this
guides you to a solution.