Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows7, 32 bit... won't recognize my 8GB ram

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 5:10:35 PM

Hello, Running Biostar TA79GX 128Mb, 8GB ram...in 4 sets of 2DIMM

Running 32 bit... windows 7... only recognizes the 3.5 GB...

Do I have to change to 64 bit system for it to id the 8GB ram?

system won't currently handle my Pinnacle Ultimate Studio program with out physical memory dump (blue screen)
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 5:25:51 PM

Yes, Windows 7-32 bit limit is 4 GB

Windows 7-64 bit varies; the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

Starter : 2GB
Home Basic : 8GB
Home Premium : 16GB
Professionall: 192GB
Enterprise : 192GB
Ultimate : 192GB



m
0
l
December 30, 2010 5:53:14 PM

^ +1
m
0
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 6:07:36 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Yes, Windows 7-32 bit limit is 4 GB

Windows 7-64 bit varies; the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

Starter : 2GB
Home Basic : 8GB
Home Premium : 16GB
Professionall: 192GB
Enterprise : 192GB
Ultimate : 192GB




Thank you... I'm running in Ultimate, but my Bio board it limited to 16gb... Does or will windows 7 still run those currently loaded programs in 32 bit when I change to 64.... or do I loose them?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 6:49:46 PM

Just wondering when we would ever see a 48 Gb memory stick, 192 Gb is a bit odd.
You would think in the order of things the limmit would be 256Gb.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 7:01:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you... I'm running in Ultimate, but my Bio board it limited to 16gb... Does or will windows 7 still run those currently loaded programs in 32 bit when I change to 64.... or do I loose them?


Your 32 bit programs will run fine. The only thing to consider is to have 64 bit drivers. That's all.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 7:25:21 PM

It not going too go 64 bit.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 7:37:03 PM

32 to 64 is a complete reinstall, so you will loose your programs, but they should work once reinstalled. I've not found anything yet where 64bit is the reason that programs aren't working.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 8:17:42 PM

13thmonkey said:
32 to 64 is a complete reinstall, so you will loose your programs, but they should work once reinstalled. I've not found anything yet where 64bit is the reason that programs aren't working.



Thank you... Those are the answers I was looking for... Bill
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 8:19:05 PM

hefox said:
Your 32 bit programs will run fine. The only thing to consider is to have 64 bit drivers. That's all.




Thank you... That's the info I needed for me to decide which way to go.... Bill
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2010 8:18:11 AM

Dont forget the 16 bit installer issue. 32 bit programs will work, BUT some 32 bit programs use 16 bit installers and therefore wont install because 16 bit programs dont work on 64 bit windows. Its not a huge deal, but its worth noting. I have a handfull of programs the early 2000's that use 16 bit installers. But you could always dual boot if needed.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2010 2:39:28 PM

Thank you... I do have a couple of older programs that still serve a purpose now and then... I will keep this inmind. Thanks for the note.
m
0
l
December 31, 2010 3:54:49 PM

You can always use XP Mode for your older programs ( not games).
m
0
l
November 14, 2012 2:37:06 AM

Is that means there will be no difference to install 2G or 4G RAM on starter?
JackNaylorPE said:
Yes, Windows 7-32 bit limit is 4 GB

Windows 7-64 bit varies; the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

Starter : 2GB
Home Basic : 8GB
Home Premium : 16GB
Professionall: 192GB
Enterprise : 192GB
Ultimate : 192GB

m
0
l
April 9, 2013 4:20:03 PM

Download this.. http://mediafire.com/?s1ecba2cyfrrbmu

see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcDs4UvmfuE

Anonymous said:
Hello, Running Biostar TA79GX 128Mb, 8GB ram...in 4 sets of 2DIMM

Running 32 bit... windows 7... only recognizes the 3.5 GB...

Do I have to change to 64 bit system for it to id the 8GB ram?

system won't currently handle my Pinnacle Ultimate Studio program with out physical memory dump (blue screen)


m
0
l
!