Problems with recording to DVD+R discs

July 17, 2005 6:26:47 PM

Howdy,

I have a 4 month old computer with Sonic Record Now! installed on it and I
have a SONY DVD+RW DW - D56A Drive. I have tried to copy a DVD that someone
gave me and I have not been able to get it to work.
The DVD that was given to me has less than 5 GB of memory on it and I can
copy the information to a temp file on my hard drive using the Sonic Record
Now! program and then when I go to burn the copy for myself it asks me to
install a recordable DVD into the drive.

I have purchased TDK DVD recordable discs that are 4.7 GB and are DVD+R.
When I insert this into the drive it just ejects these saying that I need to
insert a recordable DVD into the drive. I have tried about 10 of these
discs and cannot get it to recognize any of them. Is it the discs or is
there a problem with the drive or is there a setting somewhere I need to
change.

If anyone can help me out please let me know,

Thanks.

Shane
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 10:00:42 PM

If you are trying to write to DVD+R discs that are rated for a higher speed
than your dvd burner, you'll almost certainly need a firmware update.

That being said, you should get the latest firmware update (whether or not
the above holds true) and try again.

These firmware updates usually fix up any media issues that crop up.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Shane" <shanedollman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Howdy,
>
> I have a 4 month old computer with Sonic Record Now! installed on it and I
> have a SONY DVD+RW DW - D56A Drive. I have tried to copy a DVD that
> someone gave me and I have not been able to get it to work.
> The DVD that was given to me has less than 5 GB of memory on it and I can
> copy the information to a temp file on my hard drive using the Sonic
> Record Now! program and then when I go to burn the copy for myself it asks
> me to install a recordable DVD into the drive.
>
> I have purchased TDK DVD recordable discs that are 4.7 GB and are DVD+R.
> When I insert this into the drive it just ejects these saying that I need
> to insert a recordable DVD into the drive. I have tried about 10 of these
> discs and cannot get it to recognize any of them. Is it the discs or is
> there a problem with the drive or is there a setting somewhere I need to
> change.
>
> If anyone can help me out please let me know,
>
> Thanks.
>
> Shane

July 23, 2005 4:48:03 PM

The DVD+R discs that I have are 8x and the speed of my burner is 8x so I
don't know what else to do.

Thanks

"Gary Tsang" wrote:

> If you are trying to write to DVD+R discs that are rated for a higher speed
> than your dvd burner, you'll almost certainly need a firmware update.
>
> That being said, you should get the latest firmware update (whether or not
> the above holds true) and try again.
>
> These firmware updates usually fix up any media issues that crop up.
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "Shane" <shanedollman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I have a 4 month old computer with Sonic Record Now! installed on it and I
> > have a SONY DVD+RW DW - D56A Drive. I have tried to copy a DVD that
> > someone gave me and I have not been able to get it to work.
> > The DVD that was given to me has less than 5 GB of memory on it and I can
> > copy the information to a temp file on my hard drive using the Sonic
> > Record Now! program and then when I go to burn the copy for myself it asks
> > me to install a recordable DVD into the drive.
> >
> > I have purchased TDK DVD recordable discs that are 4.7 GB and are DVD+R.
> > When I insert this into the drive it just ejects these saying that I need
> > to insert a recordable DVD into the drive. I have tried about 10 of these
> > discs and cannot get it to recognize any of them. Is it the discs or is
> > there a problem with the drive or is there a setting somewhere I need to
> > change.
> >
> > If anyone can help me out please let me know,
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Shane

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 8:17:53 PM

I had a problem something like this once and the man at the store told be
about a downloadable software program called "DVD Decrypter".
This solved my problem.

It works thus:
1/ Put the DVD to be copied into the read drive.
2/ Activate DVD Decrypter.
3/ Using DVD Decrypter, copy the DVD to a file on your computer.
4/ Then burn this file to the blank DVD in the burn drive.

It seems "DVD Decrypter" decodes any blocking software on the original DVD.

Anyway, it worked for me.

!