PC freeze during capture with windows movie maker

July 18, 2005 6:05:01 AM

When I use Windows Movie Maker to capture from my DV camcorder, the CPU is at
100 % and the fan is always working. Then, after approximately 5 minutes of
capture, my PC freeze and I have to reboot it. Then I see that a 39 MB video
file (.wmv) and a 468 MB .tmp file have been created.
I have a notebook 2.4 GHz with 512 MB of RAM. I have ordered a notebook
cooler but it will come in about 2 weeks.
I tried to capture my video with the Samsung software coming with my
camcorder, it worked, the CPU was low during the capture but the video
captured was of poor quality.
Can you help ?
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 9:49:01 PM

Have a read of this page,
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/OptimiseMyPcFo...
most of which is relevant to laptops as well.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I use Windows Movie Maker to capture from my DV camcorder, the CPU is
> at
> 100 % and the fan is always working. Then, after approximately 5 minutes
> of
> capture, my PC freeze and I have to reboot it. Then I see that a 39 MB
> video
> file (.wmv) and a 468 MB .tmp file have been created.
> I have a notebook 2.4 GHz with 512 MB of RAM. I have ordered a notebook
> cooler but it will come in about 2 weeks.
> I tried to capture my video with the Samsung software coming with my
> camcorder, it worked, the CPU was low during the capture but the video
> captured was of poor quality.
> Can you help ?
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:36:05 AM

- My notebook don't have a second hard drive so I created a second partition.
- I used Enditall to close applications.
- I run your Rundll32.exe command.
- My hdd is DMA enabled.
- I removed some viruses with EZ antivirus.
- I have 512 MB of RAM so I think it's enough.

Despite all that, I still have the same problem : after around 5 minutes of
video capture using movie maker (and the CPU is at 100 %), my notebook freeze.

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Have a read of this page,
> http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/OptimiseMyPcFo...
> most of which is relevant to laptops as well.
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Jacques" <Jacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I use Windows Movie Maker to capture from my DV camcorder, the CPU is
> > at
> > 100 % and the fan is always working. Then, after approximately 5 minutes
> > of
> > capture, my PC freeze and I have to reboot it. Then I see that a 39 MB
> > video
> > file (.wmv) and a 468 MB .tmp file have been created.
> > I have a notebook 2.4 GHz with 512 MB of RAM. I have ordered a notebook
> > cooler but it will come in about 2 weeks.
> > I tried to capture my video with the Samsung software coming with my
> > camcorder, it worked, the CPU was low during the capture but the video
> > captured was of poor quality.
> > Can you help ?

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:47:58 PM

Check all cooling ducts and fans are working properly, it may be
overheating.
Try windv a useful capture app which sometimes will work when MM doesn't.
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/WebPages/UsefulProgramme...

--

!