Codec description and tutorial?

Hey there,

I need to start worrying about this kind of thing. For example, when
saving out .avis from various applications, there are a bunch of
different options, cinepak, video, etc., and on and on. I just keep
resaving and trying to open on my own machine, until one opens, and
looks good enough. Ignorance is bliss, but now, I need to worry about
others being able to view them on their machines, so I guess I need to
know what a codec is, where they are stored, what is a good default
choice, etc.

Any tips?

Thanks!

oj

"OJ" <orljustin@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hey there,
>
> I need to start worrying about this kind of thing. For example, when
> saving out .avis from various applications, there are a bunch of
> different options, cinepak, video, etc., and on and on. I just keep
> resaving and trying to open on my own machine, until one opens, and
> looks good enough. Ignorance is bliss, but now, I need to worry about
> others being able to view them on their machines, so I guess I need to
> know what a codec is, where they are stored, what is a good default
> choice, etc.
>
> Any tips?

I don't consider AVI to be a publicly-distributably format.
It only works if you have already established that the user
at the other end has the same codecs, etc.

OJ wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I need to start worrying about this kind of thing. For example, when
> saving out .avis from various applications, there are a bunch of
> different options, cinepak, video, etc., and on and on. I just keep
> resaving and trying to open on my own machine, until one opens, and
> looks good enough. Ignorance is bliss, but now, I need to worry about
> others being able to view them on their machines, so I guess I need to
> know what a codec is, where they are stored, what is a good default
> choice, etc.
>
> Any tips?
>
> Thanks!
>
> oj

http://www.codecpage.com/ may be of some help to you.

Mike

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message news:<10e87ceauaausc3@corp.supernews.com>...
> "OJ" <orljustin@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Hey there,
> >
> > I need to start worrying about this kind of thing. For example, when
> > saving out .avis from various applications, there are a bunch of
> > different options, cinepak, video, etc., and on and on. I just keep
> > resaving and trying to open on my own machine, until one opens, and
> > looks good enough. Ignorance is bliss, but now, I need to worry about
> > others being able to view them on their machines, so I guess I need to
> > know what a codec is, where they are stored, what is a good default
> > choice, etc.
> >
> > Any tips?
>
> I don't consider AVI to be a publicly-distributably format.
> It only works if you have already established that the user
> at the other end has the same codecs, etc.

Hi,

So, what's a better solution? Quicktime?

oj

rs

The Codec you use, and the settings you apply will determine the size of the
final video and the quality of that video. Rule of thumb is that the small
the file size, the lower the quality.

Common formats are MPG1 and MPG2. DIVX encoded vidios, Quicktime (The
Quicktime Pro for $40 includes the Sorenson codec which is a good codec and
any Quicktime player will play those files.)

OJ wrote:

> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message news:<10e87ceauaausc3@corp.supernews.com>...
>>"OJ" <orljustin@aol.com> wrote in message
>>I don't consider AVI to be a publicly-distributably format.
>>It only works if you have already established that the user
>>at the other end has the same codecs, etc.
>

> Hi,
>
> So, what's a better solution? Quicktime?
>
> oj

MPEG1 works pretty much everywhere.

--
Paul

OJ wrote:
> So, what's a better solution? Quicktime?

For what? For release, or for production clip sharing?