VPN connection failure, desparately need help!

May 19, 2004 3:59:06 PM

I have an O2 XDA II using PocketPC 2003. I have been trying to get VPN to
work desparately, but nothing I have done seemed to make it work! I have
prowled through all search engines for an answer for the past few days, and
still came up with nothing. The error message of the following keeps coming
up on the PDA itself (I'm already connected to the Internet via GPRS prior
to attempting to connect VPN):

VPN server problems. Verify your username and password, and try again. If
the problem continues, turn the device off and try again.

On the client side, the configuration is very standard:
Host name/IP: abc.xyz.com
VPN type: PPTP
Use server assigned IP address

On the server side, we are using Windows 2000 Advanced Server, using a
standard Routing and Remote Access Server, with all the standard
configuration. On the router, we have a simple SMC Barricade 4-port router,
and the NAT is configured to map port 1723 on TCP and port 47 on UDP to
direct incoming VPN to the RRAS server.

We have a few PCs running standard VPN on Windows 2000 Professional and
Windows XP Professional and has absolutely no problem connecting to the VPN
server, so I'm totally lost why the PDA is so difficult to configure VPN so
that I can login to our corporate network seamlessly?

Any suggestions are welcomed. I have really tried my best to tweak around
both client & server side, but all I got were the dreaded "VPN server
problems ...." error message. HELP!!!

--
Bok Nan Lo
lo@inklineglobal.com

This Page
http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/WM2003/WM2003PPTPVPN.html
has a great vpn setup tutorial. It purpose was for using activesync through
vpn but you can jump down to the part where Al illustrates how to setup the
vpn connection and get connected.

rights...

"Bok Nan Lo" <lo@inklineglobal.com> wrote in message
>I have an O2 XDA II using PocketPC 2003. I have been trying to get VPN to
> work desparately, but nothing I have done seemed to make it work! I have
> prowled through all search engines for an answer for the past few days,
> and
> still came up with nothing. The error message of the following keeps
> coming
> up on the PDA itself (I'm already connected to the Internet via GPRS prior
> to attempting to connect VPN):
>
> VPN server problems. Verify your username and password, and try again. If
> the problem continues, turn the device off and try again.
>
> On the client side, the configuration is very standard:
> Host name/IP: abc.xyz.com
> VPN type: PPTP
> Use server assigned IP address
>
> On the server side, we are using Windows 2000 Advanced Server, using a
> standard Routing and Remote Access Server, with all the standard
> configuration. On the router, we have a simple SMC Barricade 4-port
> router,
> and the NAT is configured to map port 1723 on TCP and port 47 on UDP to
> direct incoming VPN to the RRAS server.
>
> We have a few PCs running standard VPN on Windows 2000 Professional and
> Windows XP Professional and has absolutely no problem connecting to the
> VPN
> server, so I'm totally lost why the PDA is so difficult to configure VPN
> so
> that I can login to our corporate network seamlessly?
>
> Any suggestions are welcomed. I have really tried my best to tweak around
> both client & server side, but all I got were the dreaded "VPN server
> problems ...." error message. HELP!!!
>
> --
> Bok Nan Lo
> lo@inklineglobal.com

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 10:51:08 AM

"Bok Nan Lo" <lo@inklineglobal.com> wrote:

>On the server side, we are using Windows 2000 Advanced Server, using a
>standard Routing and Remote Access Server, with all the standard
>configuration. On the router, we have a simple SMC Barricade 4-port router,
>and the NAT is configured to map port 1723 on TCP and port 47 on UDP to
>direct incoming VPN to the RRAS server.

Does the router support GRE? I had to buy a new router that did to
direct VPN traffic properly to our Win2K Server, otherwise, the NAT
would have messed it up.
May 21, 2004 12:16:25 AM

Sorry I'm not sure what's a GRE, can you elaborate?

Hmmm... Are you referring to the NAT on the GRPS service provider or the NAT
on the router? I'm worried about the NAT with the GPRS provider coz I cannot
ping my PDA when it goes online via GPRS. Does this mean that I've got
problem with the GPRS service provider?

If it's the NAT on the router, I don't see how it is providing any problem
as it's a very straight forward mapping, plus all our Windows clients can
get through to it without any problem.

I'm still trying very hard to figure out what's wrong, but there just isn't
any debugging log on either the client side, nor any log on the server side
to figure out what has really gone wrong!

--
Bok Nan Lo
inKline Global, Inc.

______
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 12:16:26 AM

"Bok Nan Lo" <lo@inklineglobal.com> wrote:

>Sorry I'm not sure what's a GRE, can you elaborate?

Heh. No. I only know what I was told by a Windows 2000 Server MVP so I
purchased a router that supported "GRE."

http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.tunnel.gre.html - I've read it and still
don't know what it is.

If you do NAT, you have to have GRE for VPN to work, at least with
Windows VPN connections.
May 21, 2004 12:17:30 AM

I have scrutinized it inside out prior to approaching this newsgroup but to
no avail. Thanks for your tips though.

--
Bok Nan Lo
lo@inklineglobal.com