Sudden Wireless Network Problem

Greetings. Hopefully someone can help me. We have had a wireless network
running in our house for several months now without issue. The system
consists of a host unit (desktop) and two clients (one laptop and one
desktop). The clients are tied to the host wirelessly while the host uses an
ethernet cable. All components at D-Link products.

Last night the clients suddenly stopped connecting to the internet. The
hardware is working correctly according to the device manager on all fronts.
I have tried to reconnect and repair the problem without success. We have
also tried to set-up a new wireless network that does not help either; as
well as uninstalling and reinstalling the network adaptors.

On the desktop client computer, I noticed another "wireless connection
available" that was not been present in the past. When I move the client
laptop in the same area as the client desktop; it also shows the additional
wireless connection. The connection is titled "MCGILL"; which happens to be
the last name of a neighbor two doors over from us. They say that are not
using any type of wireless computer network in their home but it seems odd.
I have tried to delete the MCGILL connection but neither client computer will
allow me to do that.

I have run the windows help for wireless issues and did not find anything
that fixed this problem.

We would greatly appreciate any help!!!! Thanks!!!

Mike

Splendid

change channel

mike

"tmcgin710395" <tmcgin7103@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Greetings. Hopefully someone can help me. We have had a wireless network
> running in our house for several months now without issue. The system
> consists of a host unit (desktop) and two clients (one laptop and one
> desktop). The clients are tied to the host wirelessly while the host uses
an
> ethernet cable. All components at D-Link products.
>
> Last night the clients suddenly stopped connecting to the internet. The
> hardware is working correctly according to the device manager on all
fronts.
> I have tried to reconnect and repair the problem without success. We have
> also tried to set-up a new wireless network that does not help either; as
> well as uninstalling and reinstalling the network adaptors.
>
> On the desktop client computer, I noticed another "wireless connection
> available" that was not been present in the past. When I move the client
> laptop in the same area as the client desktop; it also shows the
additional
> wireless connection. The connection is titled "MCGILL"; which happens to
be
> the last name of a neighbor two doors over from us. They say that are not
> using any type of wireless computer network in their home but it seems
odd.
> I have tried to delete the MCGILL connection but neither client computer
will
> allow me to do that.
>
> I have run the windows help for wireless issues and did not find anything
> that fixed this problem.
>
> We would greatly appreciate any help!!!! Thanks!!!

---

I am no expert, but a quick check might help based on a similar experience I
have had...

Have you set your host to enable broadcasting the SSID? If you are running
Windows XP, and Windows Wireless Zero Configuration is active, then my
understanding is that you will latch onto a broadcast SSID first before you
do to a non-broadcast SSID. In my case, my wireless stations were grabbing
the signal from my neighbours router even though of course they did not have
the correct encryption to allow doing anything with the signal. Once I
enabled broadcasting of the SSID, I could make my own host the preferred
connection.

(Oh, and perhaps they are not running a wireless network, but are running a
wireless connection for XBox or something?)