partition ?

I know you guys say a separate hard drive is best for the editing software
,but does putting it on a separate partition offer any benefits ?
thanks
Rob

"Your-Nice" <Your-Nice@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I know you guys say a separate hard drive is best for the editing
software
> ,but does putting it on a separate partition offer any benefits ?
> thanks
> Rob

Some editing software, don't work if you put it on another partition.

my 2 cents

"Your-Nice" wrote ...
> I know you guys say a separate hard drive is best for
> the editing software ,but does putting it on a separate
> partition offer any benefits ?

No, and furthermore, it offers many disadvantages.

"Your-Nice" <Your-Nice@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I know you guys say a separate hard drive is best for the editing
software
> ,but does putting it on a separate partition offer any benefits ?

Not on a partition on the same drive. HD partitions are simply
'software' when it comes down to it, so the only benefit of
partitioning a hard drive is to split it into 'drives' for filing (eg
backup) purposes. Having a 2nd HD dedicated to capture/editing
will generally help if you get 'dropped frames' when capturing -
it's a 'hardware' thing.
HTH
--
Rob

thanks every one.
Rob.

"Your-Nice" <Your-Nice@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I know you guys say a separate hard drive is best for the editing
software
> ,but does putting it on a separate partition offer any benefits ?
> thanks
> Rob

"Your-Nice" <Your-Nice@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I know you guys say a separate hard drive is best for the editing software
>,but does putting it on a separate partition offer any benefits ?
>thanks
>Rob

Nope - no advantage at all.

Cheers

--
Kevin Gleeson
Blue Rocket Productions

"Your-Nice" <Your-Nice@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I know you guys say a separate hard drive is best for the editing
software
> ,but does putting it on a separate partition offer any benefits ?
> thanks

You have been given the wrong answer if this is a Windows PC. In fact,
you've been given it repeatedly and by at least one person who normally
gives accurate information.

Yes. If you only have one hard drive, it will be better to partition it and
capture to the non-system partition. However, the NLE software should be
installed in your Windows Programs folder, but your capture preferences in
that software should be set to the partition. The more you cap and edit
files located to/on your system partition, the more fragmentation you will
experience. Furthermore, the more data that resides on your system
partition, the slower windows will boot and the more data it will have to
sift through to find what it needs to open programs and start services.

For the health of your Windows OS and the health of your Windows Programs,
if you only have one drive, by all means partition it and set your working
folder and capture folder preferences to the partition (but do install the
software to the Windows Programs folder).

Your NLE Temp, Capture, and Working directories should not be on your system
partition if it can be avoided.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message

> "Your-Nice" <Your-Nice@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > I know you guys say a separate hard drive is best for the editing
> software
> > ,but does putting it on a separate partition offer any benefits ?
> > thanks
>
> You have been given the wrong answer if this is a Windows PC. In fact,
> you've been given it repeatedly and by at least one person who normally
> gives accurate information.
>
> Yes. If you only have one hard drive, it will be better to partition it
and
> capture to the non-system partition. However, the NLE software should be
> installed in your Windows Programs folder, but your capture preferences in
> that software should be set to the partition. The more you cap and edit
> files located to/on your system partition, the more fragmentation you will
> experience. Furthermore, the more data that resides on your system
> partition, the slower windows will boot and the more data it will have to
> sift through to find what it needs to open programs and start services.
>
> For the health of your Windows OS and the health of your Windows Programs,
> if you only have one drive, by all means partition it and set your working
> folder and capture folder preferences to the partition (but do install the
> software to the Windows Programs folder).
>
> Your NLE Temp, Capture, and Working directories should not be on your
system
> partition if it can be avoided.

The potential gain is offset by the performance loss, IMO. The BIGGEST
potential problem resides in the swap file - if the system decides to do a
swap during the r/w process, the heads have to move, then move back.

Given the cost of hard drives, there really is no excuse for not getting
one. You can find new 30GB HD's on Pricewatch for $36, and there are decent
deals regularly on ebay, if you can't find it locally cheap.

it is windows xp,i will sort out the preference bit for the partition as the
rest is setup how you say it should be .
thanks for advice
Rob.

"twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message

> "Your-Nice" <Your-Nice@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > I know you guys say a separate hard drive is best for the editing
> software
> > ,but does putting it on a separate partition offer any benefits ?
> > thanks
>
> You have been given the wrong answer if this is a Windows PC. In fact,
> you've been given it repeatedly and by at least one person who normally
> gives accurate information.
>
> Yes. If you only have one hard drive, it will be better to partition it
and
> capture to the non-system partition. However, the NLE software should be
> installed in your Windows Programs folder, but your capture preferences in
> that software should be set to the partition. The more you cap and edit
> files located to/on your system partition, the more fragmentation you will
> experience. Furthermore, the more data that resides on your system
> partition, the slower windows will boot and the more data it will have to
> sift through to find what it needs to open programs and start services.
>
> For the health of your Windows OS and the health of your Windows Programs,
> if you only have one drive, by all means partition it and set your working
> folder and capture folder preferences to the partition (but do install the
> software to the Windows Programs folder).
>
> Your NLE Temp, Capture, and Working directories should not be on your
system
> partition if it can be avoided.

"Your-Nice" wrote ...
> it is windows xp,i will sort out the preference bit for the
> partition as the rest is setup how you say it should be .
> thanks for advice

You can try it. Maybe Mr. Twobirds is running some sort of super
system that has no swap (page) file? But in the real world the
sound of your head thrashing back and forth between the system
partition and your capture partition will make you wonder how
much the drive will take before you lose everything.

This is very much a FAQ and Mr. Twobirds' "advice" is completely
opposite the conventional wisdom (gained by real people dealing
with their real systems).

"twobirds" wrote ...
> You are just wrong. <period>

<45 additional lines mercifully snipped>

Actual experience with your own system trumps any amount
of Mr. Bird's theories.

> "twobirds" wrote ...
> > You are just wrong. <period>
>
> <45 additional lines mercifully snipped>

Wussy. C'mon. Provide evidence to support your claims. Let's hear it. If
you can successfully show me evidence that having tons of extra data on your
system drive is not detrimental to your windows system, performance, and
that it won't contribute to fragmentation and all the troubles that go with
it, I'll STFU.

> Actual experience with your own system trumps any amount
> of Mr. Bird's theories.

Actually, it is Mr. Wood. A little deja-google (google groups) time showed
me that you have some issue with those who don't use their "Real Name" on
usenet. It also showed me that you don't like it when you are wrong. Need
some links? You are a serious wanker, but 80% of the time, you provide
accurate information, so maybe you're not all bad. - I guesse we will soon
find out if you can back up your bullshit or just admit you are wrong, eh?

> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
> > "twobirds" wrote ...
> > > You are just wrong. <period>
> >
> > <45 additional lines mercifully snipped>
>
> Wussy. C'mon.

PLONK!

> PLONK!

Thank God. Though, those who scream "Plonk" never actually do.

It is a great cop-out to actually having to back up his mis-information,
though.