Newbie HW questions

Hi, all...

I've been doing some reading over the past couple of days and feel like I'm
opening pandora's box... yipes!

I recently got a new PC... 3.0Ghz Intel, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, ATI Radeon 9800
Pro w/128Mb's. I'm interested in getting some equipment that will let me
convert my old videos to DVD's. Right now, I'm considering getting a Plextor
ConvertX and a DVD writer. I read in one of the web FAQ's that one should
get a decent Time Base Corrector (TBC) if one wants the best output. I've
also read that S-video feeds will give better results than composite feeds.

So... my questions (today!) are:

1. Anyone have experience with TBC's and, if so, any recommendations in the
> $500 range? Also... if I get the Plextor, where would the TBC go in the
chain? Between the VCR and the Plextor, between the Plextor and the PC?

2. My current VCR only has composite outs. I've done some surfing looking
for VCR's with S-video outs but the only one I've found thus far is like
$700. Is the difference in quality between s-video and composite outs so
much better that it would be worth it to invest in an VCR with s-video outs?

TIA folks!

Lang

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:17:08 -0400, "Lang Murphy"
<langmurf@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Hi, all...
>
>I've been doing some reading over the past couple of days and feel like I'm
>opening pandora's box... yipes!
>
>I recently got a new PC... 3.0Ghz Intel, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, ATI Radeon 9800
>Pro w/128Mb's. I'm interested in getting some equipment that will let me
>convert my old videos to DVD's. Right now, I'm considering getting a Plextor
>ConvertX and a DVD writer. I read in one of the web FAQ's that one should
>get a decent Time Base Corrector (TBC) if one wants the best output. I've
>also read that S-video feeds will give better results than composite feeds.
>
>So... my questions (today!) are:
>
>1. Anyone have experience with TBC's and, if so, any recommendations in the
>> $500 range? Also... if I get the Plextor, where would the TBC go in the
>chain? Between the VCR and the Plextor, between the Plextor and the PC?

A TBC -- any picture enhancer -- can help, especially with
macrovision and such, as well as older worn tapes. But it is a pretty
expensive thing to add for converting a relatively small number of
tapes. Plus some VCRs have at least a rudimentary TBC, and any good
analog capture software can do a lot of helpful processing -- if you
don't mind capturing uncompressed (or HuffyYUV, which is the same
thing but uses less space, lossless compression).

>2. My current VCR only has composite outs. I've done some surfing looking
>for VCR's with S-video outs but the only one I've found thus far is like
>$700. Is the difference in quality between s-video and composite outs so
>much better that it would be worth it to invest in an VCR with s-video outs?

Look at SVHS VCRs -- you should be able to get a good one under $200
if you shop around.

S-video simplies the video processing. Composite requires more
expensive electronics in order to cleanly separate the two signals.
Most VCRs don't have great composite video output, and video capture
devices are also relatively limited -- both of these are due to the
cost of the components.

But VHS isn't that high quality to begin with, so few if any VHS
VCRs come with S-video, because you can't put back what isn't there.
It wouldn't hurt to have it -- internally, the video signal is
separated and could easily have an s-video connection -- but anyone
who truly wanted great quality video would have picked up an SVHS VCR
anyway (which truly can use it because the resolution is so much
higher than VHS).

So, if all your tapes are VHS, don't worry too much. A decent VCR
with good edit-quality video out (rather than some of the cheap ones
whose video output "enhanced" to make copying harder) should work
fine.

Jeffery,

So it sounds like I can start out -without- a TBC and see what kind of
quality I get from my old VHS tapes...

I guess the next question would be: "How does one differentiate between
> "A decent VCR with good edit-quality video out (rather than some of the
cheap ones
> whose video output "enhanced" to make copying harder)"?

I've got a Panasonic PV-9662 VCR... how do I figure out which bucket this
thing falls into?

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions; your efforts are
greatly appreciated!

Lang

"Jeffery S. Jones" <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Most VCRs don't have great composite video output, and video capture
> devices are also relatively limited -- both of these are due to the
> cost of the components.
>
> But VHS isn't that high quality to begin with, so few if any VHS
> VCRs come with S-video, because you can't put back what isn't there.
> It wouldn't hurt to have it -- internally, the video signal is
> separated and could easily have an s-video connection -- but anyone
> who truly wanted great quality video would have picked up an SVHS VCR
> anyway (which truly can use it because the resolution is so much
> higher than VHS).
>
> So, if all your tapes are VHS, don't worry too much. A decent VCR
> with good edit-quality video out (rather than some of the cheap ones
> whose video output "enhanced" to make copying harder) should work

lee

Have you considered a DV camcorder with Analog to Digital pass through
capabilities? You could convert to digital, edit if you like and then burn
to DVD. Might be a less expensive way to go and you'd have a DV Cam to
boot.
"Lang Murphy" <langmurf@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> > Most VCRs don't have great composite video output, and video capture
> > devices are also relatively limited -- both of these are due to the
> > cost of the components.
> >
> > But VHS isn't that high quality to begin with, so few if any VHS
> > VCRs come with S-video, because you can't put back what isn't there.
> > It wouldn't hurt to have it -- internally, the video signal is
> > separated and could easily have an s-video connection -- but anyone
> > who truly wanted great quality video would have picked up an SVHS VCR
> > anyway (which truly can use it because the resolution is so much
> > higher than VHS).
> >
> > So, if all your tapes are VHS, don't worry too much. A decent VCR
> > with good edit-quality video out (rather than some of the cheap ones
> > whose video output "enhanced" to make copying harder) should work

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:53:21 -0400, "Lang Murphy"
<langmurf@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Jeffery,
>
>So it sounds like I can start out -without- a TBC and see what kind of
>quality I get from my old VHS tapes...
>
>I guess the next question would be: "How does one differentiate between
>> "A decent VCR with good edit-quality video out (rather than some of the
>cheap ones
>> whose video output "enhanced" to make copying harder)"?

Does it include an "edit mode" for copying in its menu? Most basic
VCRs do not.

If you are working with standard play videos that you shot yourself,
this isn't so critical -- usually, a good video capture card can
adjust things afterwards. But for commercial videos and EP
recordings, the playback processing can cost detail which you just
can't get back.

Most consumer VHS VCRs aren't designed for editing. Most SVHS VCRs
are. You tend to find more options -- and sometimes better video
quality -- in older VHS VCRs (more than 10 years) -- but unless you
took great care of it, it has likely worn out (we still have a couple
pro VHS VCRs from the mid-80s which are still playing fine, but the
"cast iron" workhorse mechanisms, heads, motors, all of it are way
tougher (and of course, more expensive) than those in consumer VCRs).

>I've got a Panasonic PV-9662 VCR... how do I figure out which bucket this
>thing falls into?

Decent VHS. I don't think that they make any true editing VHS VCRs
anymore, you must just to SVHS to get that. It does have good
playback hardware, but doesn't boast a built-in TBC (unlike the SVHS
models I've seen).

Best thing is to try it out with whatever you're going to use to
capture and see how it works. Only add more hardware if you find it
isn't up to snuff in quality.

TRENDING THREADS