user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I'd like to distribute WMV type videos (tutorials, etc). For those who don't have
a wmv compatible player I'd like add a wmv player in the CD. Microsoft has a
downloadable wmv player. I went to Microsoft's site about players and such but
could not decipher their legal documents concerning wmv files and players. How do
you guys do it? Adding an internet link is too much of a hassle. Most games have
a button in their installation menu "install DirectX nn". I'd like to have
something similar "Install Media Player nn". The videos are free so I lie to keep
costs down (to zero on royalties etc).

"123" wrote ...
> I'd like to distribute WMV type videos (tutorials, etc).
> For those who don't have a wmv compatible player I'd
> like add a wmv player in the CD. Microsoft has a
> downloadable wmv player. I went to Microsoft's site
> about players and such but could not decipher their legal
> documents concerning wmv files and players. How do
> you guys do it?

> Adding an internet link is too much of a hassle.

You want to explain what you mean by that remarkable
statement? Pointing users to the source has a great many
benefits including always having access to the latest
version, variants for different operating systems (thus
expanding your market base), etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp

See how easy it is! :)

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"123" wrote ...
>> I'd like to distribute WMV type videos (tutorials, etc).
>> For those who don't have a wmv compatible player I'd
>> like add a wmv player in the CD. Microsoft has a
>> downloadable wmv player. I went to Microsoft's site
>> about players and such but could not decipher their legal
>> documents concerning wmv files and players. How do
>> you guys do it?
>
>> Adding an internet link is too much of a hassle.
>
>You want to explain what you mean by that remarkable
>statement? Pointing users to the source has a great many
>benefits including always having access to the latest
>version, variants for different operating systems (thus
>expanding your market base), etc.
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp
>
>See how easy it is! :)

It's easy of course. Unfortunately not all have internet links (or have regular
connection). It would be much easier if the player was on the CD. Game CD's all
sem to pack DirectX on their CD.

Anyway is it free to download the player from above connection and burn it on my
distribution CD? The distribution page
(http://wmlicense.smdisp.net/licenserequest2/licenserequest.aspx) does not
mention how much (or if free) WM Player 9s licence costs. I don't want to send
the form and then find out MS will bill be $1000s for what is essentially a free
download.

"123" wrote in message
> Anyway is it free to download the player from above connection
> and burn it on my distribution CD? The distribution page
> (http://wmlicense.smdisp.net/licenserequest2/licenserequest.aspx)
> does not mention how much (or if free) WM Player 9s licence costs.
> I don't want to send the form and then find out MS will bill be $1000s
> for what is essentially a free download.

So when you filled out the license request, how much money
did they ask for? Most of us suspect that we already know the
answer, but we want to hear it from you.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"123" wrote in message
>> Anyway is it free to download the player from above connection
>> and burn it on my distribution CD? The distribution page
>> (http://wmlicense.smdisp.net/licenserequest2/licenserequest.aspx)
>> does not mention how much (or if free) WM Player 9s licence costs.
>> I don't want to send the form and then find out MS will bill be $1000s
>> for what is essentially a free download.
>
>So when you filled out the license request, how much money
>did they ask for? Most of us suspect that we already know the
>answer, but we want to hear it from you.

I did not fill the licence request since I don't know if that gets me into some
legal position I don't want to be. The licence costing sceme is opaque to me.

"Please sign this form"
"I don't want to sign anything - How much does it cost? Just tell me!"
"Just sign and we'll tell"

Could someone please tell how much it cost! puh-leese!

Rich

"123" <bogus@mail.address.com> wrote in message
> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
>
> >"123" wrote in message
> >> Anyway is it free to download the player from above connection
> >> and burn it on my distribution CD? The distribution page
> >> (http://wmlicense.smdisp.net/licenserequest2/licenserequest.aspx)
> >> does not mention how much (or if free) WM Player 9s licence costs.
> >> I don't want to send the form and then find out MS will bill be $1000s
> >> for what is essentially a free download.
> >
> >So when you filled out the license request, how much money
> >did they ask for? Most of us suspect that we already know the
> >answer, but we want to hear it from you.
> >

> I did not fill the licence request since I don't know if that gets me into
some
> legal position I don't want to be. The licence costing sceme is opaque to
me.

> "Please sign this form"
> "I don't want to sign anything - How much does it cost? Just tell me!"
> "Just sign and we'll tell"
>
> Could someone please tell how much it cost! puh-leese!

There is no place to "sign" the form. You are not obligated to anything.
It's a license request. If they bill you for "$1000s" you can laugh at them
because you have not entered into an agreement.

Rich

terry

www.videolan.org