Sign in with
Your question

Suddenly taking forever to start... ETA: won't start at all now...

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 30, 2010 6:14:55 PM

I'm running Windows 7 pro all up to date. Everything's been dandy up until about 2 days ago. Suddenly my computer has crashed about 3 times, froze at boot up, and froze after entering my password in the login screen. All in all, it takes me about 3-4 tries now to start up windows. If I can start windows, it takes forever after entering my password to get in.

What gives? It used to be just average boot time. Now it's pathetic. This computer is brand new (built it only a month ago) and has hardly anything on it. Just windows, cs5, norton, and itunes basically. I can't figure out if this is a windows issue or a hardware issue. The only hardware thing I think it might be is that my RAM is running slightly under recommended voltage/timing but that hasn't been an issue as far as I know (at least, until now).

Another weird thing that started happening (again, not sure if this is windows problem or not) is that everything (bios splash screen, post, windows is loading...etc) up until the windows login screen is suddenly showing up on my secondary monitor instead of my primary. I haven't changed any settings so I'm lost as to why this is happening.

Any advice? Thanks in advance! :love: 

i7-950
gigabyte x58a-ud3r
gtx 460 1gb
corsair XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin ddr3 sdram
samsung spinpoint F3 1tb
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 6:22:32 PM

Yep.
When windows has loaded up, click on the windows button, then click on search programs and files.
Then type: Msconfig.

A window will open and you will see tabs at the top,click on startup.
Simply untick all the things you dont want to run at windows start up, then click apply.
You may find Norton Av ect is also the cause to the slow down, it may be doing a scan at Start.
m
l
December 30, 2010 6:31:15 PM

Shaun o said:
Yep.
When windows has loaded up, click on the windows button, then click on search programs and files.
Then type: Msconfig.

A window will open and you will see tabs at the top,click on startup.
Simply untick all the things you dont want to run at windows start up, then click apply.
You may find Norton Av ect is also the cause to the slow down, it may be doing a scan at Start.

That was one of the first things I did after I finished installing everything I wanted (like I said, not much) and so start up was nice and quick. I haven't changed anything and all of the suddenly, start up is like glue (if it even starts up at all).
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 7:13:14 PM

Tell me the specs of your build.
Cpu ect.
Memory.

m
l
December 31, 2010 1:42:26 PM

i7-950
gigabyte x58a-ud3r
gtx 460 1gb
corsair XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin ddr3 sdram
samsung spinpoint F3 1tb

Now it's even worse...
Windows won't start up at all. It keeps giving me the option to launch "startup repair" since it wont start.. but that doesn't help.. it just goes in an endless loop. Anytime I try and start windows normally it just restarts. IF I manage to make it to the login screen (which has only happened once in the last hour) it still freezes :( ...............
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2010 2:42:59 PM

Sounds like a couple of possibilities... RAM or power supply. Use memtest and let it run overnight to see if there are any problems with your RAM. If it's ok, then a likely suspect is your power supply. If you happen to have an extra one laying around, it's worth hooking it up to test it.
m
l
December 31, 2010 3:50:35 PM

Well :(  the only way I could test another power supply is to spend the money to buy one and wait a couple of weeks until I had time to try it out... I can't be without a computer for that long so I want to try other options first.

I changed the RAM timing to what it's supposed to be (it had previously been lower) and was trying to change the voltage to 1.65 instead of 1.5... but it won't let me. I can only choose 1.64 or 1.66..... is that.... ok?
m
l
December 31, 2010 4:08:34 PM

How long was it running fine?

Did you run Memtest86 (or memtest86+)?
Can you boot from the Win7 disc (or any other bootable disc, like the memtest86 one)?

If so, it could be the hard drive.
m
l
December 31, 2010 4:24:41 PM

This computer is about a month old and been running fine up until about 3 days ago. I didn't make any changes around that time to anything (hardware, software, etc) so I have no idea why it's so out of the blue like this.

I ran memtest for about 5 hours when I first built it last month.

I've been able to get into windows a few times now (it just takes a crap ton of tries before it will work) and things are even funkier.

The taskbar looks like... XP or something. It's solid gray instead of semi-transparent like it should be... but it still has all the icons pinned there. My widgits disappeared for a while but they're back this time. Also, I can't open the network center or connect to my wireless internet from that machine AT ALL. Why in the world would that happen? I didn't mess with anything remotely related to that!! This is soooo weird.......
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2010 4:48:11 PM

Tried a system install to a point before the problems surfaced ?
m
l
December 31, 2010 5:00:16 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Tried a system install to a point before the problems surfaced ?

Sorry... I'm not quite sure what that means X: ?

Not sure how to do/install anything if I can't get past the BIOS splash screen...
m
l
January 1, 2011 1:16:46 AM

This sounds like a possible hard drive failure. My parents computer took forever to boot and crashed a lot. Replacing the HD fixed it. Your problem sounds similar.
m
l
January 1, 2011 2:45:02 AM

I would remove everything that is not needed for simple testing and connected to your computer the directly draw power from it ( USB devices, additionnal HDD,second and third RAM stick,...) to relieve the PSU in case that it is failing. A failing PSU can prevent a lot of thing from functionning properly. If the system seems running better overall, then maybe it is your problem.
m
l
May 13, 2014 1:38:21 PM

I have had this issue happen before, when the computer takes about 5 min to boot, or 5 min to open up outlook or any other file. I have found that when this happens, or when slowness of more than a 2 min period happens its going to be related to a disk corruption. The solution to this issue, is to schedule a CheckDisk, here is how:
http://easycomputertutorial.com/how-to-do-a-scandisk-on...

hopefully this helps. :) 
m
l
!