MPEG OK but on DVD audio not sync - HELP!

I am using a Hauppauge PVR250 capture card and I captured a 2 hour movie
from my VHS recorder.
The result is a MPG2 (4.2Gb) file that looks ok when palyed with windows
media player, I mean audio is syncronize with video.
The MPEG2 file has the following settings:
Video: Variable Bit Rate 4200, Bit Rate Peak 5200, Res 720x576 (PAL), GOPs
15
Audio: Stereo, MPEG1 Layer 2, Sampling 48kHz, Audio Bitrate 224

When I burn this file on a DVD the result has a progressive un-syncronised
audio with video. At arround 1h:30min the sound is behind with aprox 1-1.5
sec. I've tried 4 different authoring software, Ulead MovieFactory 3, Ulead
VideoStudio 8, Nero 6 and Sony Screeblast Movie Studio 3 and the result is
the same: audio has a progressive de-syncronisation feom video.

Why? What is wrong?

Thanks for help.

kerosen wrote:

> I am using a Hauppauge PVR250 capture card and I captured a 2 hour movie
> from my VHS recorder.
<snip>
> When I burn this file on a DVD the result has a progressive un-syncronised
> audio with video.

I've recorded DVDs with video directly from my PVR-250 using both
TMPGEnc DVD Author and DVD-Lab, and the audio is in sync in both cases.
I'm using NTSC, though, if that makes a difference.

DVD-Lab has a fully functional trial version available, so maybe you
could give that a shot.

-WD

Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>kerosen wrote:
>
>> I am using a Hauppauge PVR250 capture card and I captured a 2 hour movie
>> from my VHS recorder.
><snip>
>> When I burn this file on a DVD the result has a progressive un-syncronised
>> audio with video.
>
>I've recorded DVDs with video directly from my PVR-250 using both
>TMPGEnc DVD Author and DVD-Lab, and the audio is in sync in both cases.
> I'm using NTSC, though, if that makes a difference.
>
>DVD-Lab has a fully functional trial version available, so maybe you
>could give that a shot.

TMPGEnc DVD Author can also be tried for free, and I think it would be
a good idea to try either of those. Two of the programs he tried were
Ulead programs, and I have had trouble with their MovieFactory 2
throwing MP2 audio out of sync when the bitrate was 224kbps (oddly, it
doesn't happen at 384kbps) while DVDLab and the TMPGEnc program
handled the very same file perfectly.

Lazarus

What setting did you capture the audio at?

Was it 48 or 44.1

If it was 44.1 the sync issue arises as its converted to 48 so you should
always capture at 48khz

This, of course, may not be your problem but check it out and if you DID cap
at 44.1 try it at 48 and see what happens!

"kerosen" <axse45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am using a Hauppauge PVR250 capture card and I captured a 2 hour movie
> from my VHS recorder.
> The result is a MPG2 (4.2Gb) file that looks ok when palyed with windows
> media player, I mean audio is syncronize with video.
> The MPEG2 file has the following settings:
> Video: Variable Bit Rate 4200, Bit Rate Peak 5200, Res 720x576 (PAL), GOPs
> 15
> Audio: Stereo, MPEG1 Layer 2, Sampling 48kHz, Audio Bitrate 224
>
> When I burn this file on a DVD the result has a progressive un-syncronised
> audio with video. At arround 1h:30min the sound is behind with aprox 1-1.5
> sec. I've tried 4 different authoring software, Ulead MovieFactory 3,
Ulead
> VideoStudio 8, Nero 6 and Sony Screeblast Movie Studio 3 and the result is
> the same: audio has a progressive de-syncronisation feom video.
>
> Why? What is wrong?
>
> Thanks for help.

Thanks guys. I'll try a new capture with sound at 384khz.
Then I'll try the TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVDLab. I'll tell you what results
do I have.
K.

<DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> >kerosen wrote:
> >
> >> I am using a Hauppauge PVR250 capture card and I captured a 2 hour
movie
> >> from my VHS recorder.
> ><snip>
> >> When I burn this file on a DVD the result has a progressive
un-syncronised
> >> audio with video.
> >
> >I've recorded DVDs with video directly from my PVR-250 using both
> >TMPGEnc DVD Author and DVD-Lab, and the audio is in sync in both cases.
> > I'm using NTSC, though, if that makes a difference.
> >
> >DVD-Lab has a fully functional trial version available, so maybe you
> >could give that a shot.
>
> TMPGEnc DVD Author can also be tried for free, and I think it would be
> a good idea to try either of those. Two of the programs he tried were
> Ulead programs, and I have had trouble with their MovieFactory 2
> throwing MP2 audio out of sync when the bitrate was 224kbps (oddly, it
> doesn't happen at 384kbps) while DVDLab and the TMPGEnc program
> handled the very same file perfectly.

Guys,

No success so far....
I've tried first to capture the movie again using for audio bitrate 384
instead of 224. Same result.
Then The captured mpg file was authored with TMPEnc DVD Author software, no
success, same de-sync progressive audio.

I am stuck...

But, when I captured from the TV everything is ok.
Then probably something is wrong with my VHS tape recorder. It is an TVset
Philips combo with a VHS recorder (very good otherwise).
I cannot find any explanation though, the mpg file is ok played on any
player (windows media player) and when it is burned on a DVD the result has
a progressive audio de-sync.

Any new ideas?

"Lazarus" <whicanibe@now.com> wrote in message
> What setting did you capture the audio at?
>
> Was it 48 or 44.1
>
> If it was 44.1 the sync issue arises as its converted to 48 so you should
> always capture at 48khz
>
> This, of course, may not be your problem but check it out and if you DID
cap
> at 44.1 try it at 48 and see what happens!
>

> "kerosen" <axse45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am using a Hauppauge PVR250 capture card and I captured a 2 hour movie
> > from my VHS recorder.
> > The result is a MPG2 (4.2Gb) file that looks ok when palyed with windows
> > media player, I mean audio is syncronize with video.
> > The MPEG2 file has the following settings:
> > Video: Variable Bit Rate 4200, Bit Rate Peak 5200, Res 720x576 (PAL),
GOPs
> > 15
> > Audio: Stereo, MPEG1 Layer 2, Sampling 48kHz, Audio Bitrate 224
> >
> > When I burn this file on a DVD the result has a progressive
un-syncronised
> > audio with video. At arround 1h:30min the sound is behind with aprox
1-1.5
> > sec. I've tried 4 different authoring software, Ulead MovieFactory 3,
> Ulead
> > VideoStudio 8, Nero 6 and Sony Screeblast Movie Studio 3 and the result
is
> > the same: audio has a progressive de-syncronisation feom video.
> >
> > Why? What is wrong?
> >
> > Thanks for help.

Lazarus

what AUDIO SAMPLING RATE is the card capturing at

is it capturing at 48khz(DAT) or 44.1(CD)

Is the sound out of sync when you encode it to vcd? If it is NOT then the
problem is as I stated!

You say you capture at a bit rate of 384....I assume you mean you ENCODED it
at this bitrate?

I am used to using semi pro cap cards which captures audio in WAV
format.....does your card cap in WAV???

Maybe these tv cards cap at a compressed rate and this is why I am
misunderstanding you??